Reviews for Reflections
I Found Myself At 24 chapter 1 . 3/6/2008
I like how you used the image of the window. The last line was particularly good as well. :)
Julian Laverne chapter 1 . 1/23/2008
It's like a breath of fresh air for once to see a poem of this nature. After flipping so many poems throughout the years, where the topic of suicide has been conjured as escape, it's stimulating to see how much you have countered it in this reflective piece.

First of all, I would like to compliment you on your wording. The free verse works very well with each other and still amazingly keeps everything coherent.

I'd like to interpret the "razor" and its "reflection" as a conceit-an extended metaphor. I get a sense of how your portray suicide-an attempt of introducing the illusion of a quick "escape" even though the decision to escape and to have freedom really lives through the gift of reality and life, symbolized by the imagery of the "blue sky."

I hope you don't mind me bringing this into comparison, but have you ever read the short story, "Paul's Case" by Willa Cather? The last stanza of your poem suddenly brought me back the memory of the ending of her story. Very similar and inspiring.

But all in all, "wow" is really all I can truly express about this piece.
SEMMU chapter 1 . 1/23/2008
Excellent. Have you lost a loved one to suicide? Rhetorical question, don't answer that.

Anyways, I lost my father to suicide. As soon as he pulled the trigger, you could see the look of regret in his eyes. You seem to capture his reality so well. Write on!
steel winged Angel chapter 1 . 1/21/2008
Dark, yet wise. You captured it well.