Reviews for Gettysburg
AlysonSerenaStone chapter 1 . 6/30/2011
Good job! I went to Gettysburg a few years ago and can't wait to go back! This reminds me of Pickett's Charge. I was at the sight of Alexander's cannons and were they charged out of the trees. It's strange to stand there were thousdands of men died.
Deep-Breath chapter 1 . 1/24/2008
I like this poem very well and it is a talented poem. I tend to focus on more of the nitty gritty details when I go about writting but you managed to give a short but sweet story. Have you ever read "The Red Badge of Courage"? (I don't know how to underline to title) It is a good insight into the battle, first hand accounts are even better. I happen to have a copy of the archived battle reports and recorded orders and after reports of both sides of the civil war. Very handy. Good job though. If you could elevate the word choice and order a bit to make it sound as if you were one of those very men you write abou it would be an improvement I think. But I still like it. Good Job.
SEMMU chapter 1 . 1/23/2008
Very good. As a social studies teacher, I am acutely aware of the brutality of war. It appears as if your visit to Gettysburg is sufficient for you to comprehend what took me countless hours of study.

One question. Why did you choose to use the word "ground" twice in consecutive lines? Although this critique is petty, I feel as if it make an awesomely descriptive poem seem redundant. Could you rewrite one of the two and use 'sound' or something?

Do not rewrite based on my advice. It's a very good poem. I just thought you may appreciate some advice.

Here's a suggestion:

As my ears pound to the beat of death's sound, I wonder...

Write on.