Reviews for I am afraid of churches
May Elizabeth chapter 1 . 4/14/2009
I know what you mean about christian churches. I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt that way.
empathic life chapter 1 . 7/14/2008
I have this horrendous habit of reading all the other reviews before I review. So, going with that flow, I disagree with your other reviewer about the big words. I didn't even notice the majority of them, and finding the word that exactly explains what you intend to say is more important than catering to readers with a smaller vocabulary. So yes. That's my opinion. I love the concept of this poem. I've been looking through your older stuff, and it appears as though you lost religion at some point... I find that intriguing, how your views have changed from defense to fear of it.

I can definitely relate to the whole idea... Back to the poem, though. Lovely comparisons and metaphors. You know the pretty words, and that makes me happy. Great imagery, and I love some of the contrasts you threw in. Oh, and the feeling of a perpetual flashback - I don't know if that was intended, but it was certainly interesting.
S. Ben Beach chapter 1 . 1/31/2008
I definitely see your point. The references are quite clear, I found the lightning storm metaphor very cool too. Sometimes the ten dollar words (aka advanced vocab) you employ doesn't quite incorporate well; they kinda stick out and look a bit awkward. I definitely respect your knowledge/grasp of English but sometimes passion seems to fit better than technical (although technical can be passionate, very passionate sometimes). Organised religion is a freaky thing - I mean, I know that there's a greater force out there, but I'm not a fan of churches either. Not afraid, just not a big fan. Have a nice day/afternoon/night/dawn/whatever. :)