Reviews for Religions, Life, and the Pursuit of Happiness
Starfire17 chapter 1 . 5/21/2008
Some very interesting ideas and points you've raised. I found it very thought-provoking
Ajariel the Bloody chapter 1 . 4/2/2008
I disagree with you in that when you say that atheism can be considered as a religion. Atheism is more like a lack of faith in religion, or if you want to have it as a faith, it's rather the faith that religion is false.

Faith and religion, the way I see it, aren't always combined.

Religions have some sort of guidelines, morality rules, dogmas, that one has to follow to be a part of. Also, religion implies an institution, some sort of organisation.

This, you cannot find in, say, atheism, or agnosticism. There are no moral standards a collectivity of individuals have to impose on oneself to be called atheists or agnostics.

You can be spiritual without being religious, without having faith in an upper being. You can be a theist, not affiliated to any religion.

I think the problem here is, you're oversimplifying the matter.

Spirituality, faith, is individual, and religion is a group thing. You have churches, temples, mosques, and Bibles, Torahs, Corans... But spirituality has no guidelines, no places of worship. It really is more individual.

Religions have traditions, ritual, like, say, baptism, or bar-mitzvahs. I never saw an atheist group get to a place to chant songs about salvation, decide that you're a worthy atheist and dump you in water, or have the day that #1 First Atheist our Lord Saviour has risen.

No, not really.
Stitch-Puppy chapter 1 . 2/6/2008
Interesting.

I would like to point out one thing that is often misconstrue because of the 'so-called' atheists that are more into hating a God then being atheists.

I am an atheist not because I hate God or religion I am unable to believe in such a thing. It has nothing to do with being angry or not understanding how a God could do this to me, because obviously who said that The God is nice, but the inability to have faith.

Just a quick rant since so many people mislabel the belief of the inability to believe.

Nice thoughts, but maybe you want to organize them a bit better.