Reviews for When I tell them
Loki the Jackal chapter 1 . 2/22/2010
Mm, so VERY true.
Frozen.by.Sloth chapter 1 . 7/15/2008
Whoever spoke of fantasy in that way that you should respond like this? I'm kinda... wide-eyed.

Fantasy should be the embodiment of all that is unexpected, different and wonderous (just pretend the word exists, I can't take the time to think of it). The endings should not be expected.

When people think of fantasy they think of Potter, LOTR and 'uncliched' (as they suddenly see it) creatures of night along with the folk-of-ears-which-aspect-to-touch-the-sky.

(I sound like I expect a dragon to pick me up right about now, right?)

I feel like you're gonna bite my fingers off if I continue, lol, so I'm gonna stop soon, but just ignore the daft questions.

And if they ask 'omg you wrote their ears were 'well rounded', whatever happened, is the elf deformed?' just mention the pointy part got cut off in a sword fight with a werewolf-extraordinary. The daft ones just take it as a mystery appeal to the story. And they most assuredly ARE daft.

Shutting up.

Enjoy~

I'll read your actual stories sometime soon.
Double Double Toil Trouble chapter 1 . 7/12/2008
I'm with you! I mean, I've written the cliches in my time, but I try to go beyond, to have a brain of myself for once. I'm not Christopher Paolini, I'm not Stephenie Meyer, and I've seen people point out the flaws in their books and I'm glad I'm not them! I'm not Rowling either, or Tolkien-though I wish I were-but I'm a person and someday I'll be somebody!

And then they say, "What will the name of her dragon be?" and I implode.
Samantha Marie Haven chapter 1 . 3/4/2008
Wooww, you pretty much summed up my very thoughts and feelings about being a fantasy writer!

Especially from my english teacher this year, i've learned so much about humanity, human nature, so many DEEPER aspects of life that i incorporate into my fantasy writing. i don't use the elves or any of that stuff either! i'm so glad to find someone who seems to have the same ideas of true fantasy writing (and true GOOD writing in general). That makes me so happy! I still get teased over writing fantasy from my brothers and stuff, cuz they don't get it either! But hardly anyone besides them and everyone here even knows i'm writing a fantasy story and putting in as much about human nature as i can. I figure i should wait until they can handle it, right? :P

well, happy writing to you! i'll probably go read sth of urs now. Thank you soo much for this!

haha, makes me feel good. so not EVERYONE is all about the Eragon type thing -_- blah

~~up and away!~~

~Samantha
Salkiethia chapter 1 . 2/13/2008
I've seen that look before. It's a nuisance at the best of times. You've got a good point about how most people sterotype fantasy and fantasy writers.

I like the flow of your writing. It's lyrical, almost musical and easy to read. This piece has a depressed feel to it. Maybe I'm looking in too deep.
One Deranged Scribbler chapter 1 . 1/31/2008
You're not really as alone as you think you are. People often find themselves putting others in boxes without noticing, but that doesn't mean they are incapable of liking an idea outside the norm. It IS easy to get frustrated and wonder why human beings are so content with all the synthetic crap that so often litters the fantasy genre, but still... I refuse to believe that the "individual" is truly individual in his search for something that defies expectation.

That said, I don't feel that fantasy gains or loses any of its original thought with the addition of vampires or werewolves. Every tale worth reading stems from something else, but its beauty ultimately comes from their ability to convey the message in a surprising and unique way. I understand your point, of course, but I just thought it would be nice to expose you to another.

Best of luck in your quest for artistic liberation! Happy writing!

-O. D. Scribbler
vaudeville summers chapter 1 . 1/31/2008
Absolutely true!

I tend to write really cliched things, because it's pretty much a guilty pleasure...sorry, I try not to, but I can't help it. But I really do know what you mean. Love the dramatic humor xD

~Deanna