Reviews for Ashes to Emily
Eleanor J. Cinders chapter 1 . 8/24/2010
That was beautiful. I'm not very accomplished so please forgive me if I have no critique to offer. I do have a question though, what makes Emily the end of the world?
Sabraeal chapter 1 . 8/1/2008
I just realized I never reviewed this. But I think you know how I feel - Jarod is basically awesome, and Emily is sort of perfect with being half-emotional teenager, and half removed from the situation. Also, I am dying to write you an apocalypse.
Pixiepie chapter 1 . 7/28/2008
Your economy of words is stimulating. You can say so much with so few of them. I can picture Emily and Jarod and all their actions clearly. Well-written short stories are so rewarding. Thanks.
One-Hand Clap chapter 1 . 4/19/2008
Gah! You had me from the first line! I love punchy stories and the first sentence completely hooked me. Just the genereal narraration of the story was brilliant. This line was brilliant, and I'm one of those people who imprint these kind of images into their mind: She liked the way the moon looked, cupped by dark clouds. Yeah. I thought that was awesome. Something about your writing style reminds me of Scott Heim, who is famed for writing Mysterious Skin. I can find absoloutely nothing wrong with this story - it's polished to a tee. The imagery and the way you described the moon was magnificent. So well done!

- Clap Trap, from Review Marathon (link in my profile)
Remy Lourenco chapter 1 . 2/5/2008
This was wonderful. I have fallen in love with her character. The story says completed, but it doesn't really feel complete to me. Is there any chance you'll finish it?

Again, wonderful character and description. The story is extremely coherent and organized. At the same time, there is a sense of otherworldy, fantastical ideas that just draw the reader in even further. Well done.
SteelKitsune chapter 1 . 2/4/2008
It's an interesting pacing. I liked how it stepped forward, then back. The opening line reminded me a bit of Good Omens. Overall, I'm not quite sure what to think. It's very short and staccato and left me with sort of a bemused "Hm." at the end. Which, granted, it a lot better than a "What on earth did I just read?"

Quite interesting. It has been a long time since I've examined your writing, and I'm finding your new(?) ability to work with emotions and childlike thoughts very intriguing.
fairytale failure chapter 1 . 2/3/2008
I really like the way you jump around through time, almost entirely disregarding chronologic order. I don't usually read fantasy, but this was very different because it wasn't huge catastrophe, end of the world important - more like a realistic fantasy (even though you did call it the apocalypse.)

Also, some of your descrpitive passages are amazing. I especially liked the bits starting "Time grows liquid...", "There was a three-sentence pile-up" and "College was a big, scary thing..." because I thought you touched on something true there.

I did find the hummingbird idea/Emily's power a little confusing. I wasn't sure exactly what she did with the hummingbirds, did she bring them back from extinction, or make it so that the extinction never happened? I'm leaning towards the second option, but it would be nice if it was cleared up a little bit. Also, I wasn't sure what she did the second time she pulled the silver strings, when she wanted things to stay the way they were forever.

Or, maybe I'm just not reading deply enough between the lines.

Emma
Inarra Lake chapter 1 . 2/3/2008
A great idea, great execution of said idea, Superb language, who could ask for more? I LOVE your writing style. *Rushes off to look at the rest of your stories*
no.peace.los.angeles chapter 1 . 2/3/2008
Wow. That was just . . . incredible. I love that it wasn't a typical fantasy story. When I first saw that it was classified as fantasy, I was kinda, "Meh, I don't know how I feel about this," but when I read the first few sentences, I knew it wasn't going to be a "normal" fantasy story. It's just beautiful. Everything was perfectly in place and gah, I don't even know. It's just perfect. I loved it. Keep writing! :)
Sword on Fire chapter 1 . 2/3/2008
Wow. I almost forgot how much I love your writing.

Also, Emily is awesome. I want her powers! I don't have to say that I want to be her, because I already feel like I am. But why is she the apocalypse?
Gathering Crows chapter 1 . 2/3/2008
That was a very nice apocalypse Batman, very nice. I love how you mixed her matter-of-factness with the poetry. Lovely. And thanks for stabbing the college board :D