Reviews for The Highwayman
R.M.Whitaker chapter 5 . 12/7/2010
Ah! Somehow I missed THIS update! I was reading your "Born to Run" one!

YAY! It's about time you picked this back up ;) I had to go back and review the previous chapters to remember what was going on, and then I remembered how much I love this story. And how much I love your writing style! Seriously, jealousy to the max. You describe everything with a baffling ease that never ceases to amaze me. More! More! I beg for more! It's really getting good now, he he he :)
readlife chapter 5 . 11/28/2010
Still amazing, please keep updating this! I can't wait to see where the plot goes, but I hope it's not two years, I'm sure the suspense would kill me!
readlife chapter 3 . 11/28/2010
Amazing story! I love the original plot and how you write, it is very easy to read, it flows well, and you seem to know what you are writing about- fairly rare these days. I can't wait to read the rest of the chapters (I have a lot to catch up on it seems). Very well done!
Shaileigh chapter 1 . 11/24/2010
love it
cazonetta chapter 5 . 11/24/2010
Firstly, you MUST write more. This story is too awesome not to finish!

Secondly, I love your writing style and the plot pace (and thank you so much for being such a scrupulous spell checker!). Simply put, it's not rushing things. Amelia is still really trying to escape, but it's not a one-time attempt before it very quickly turns into another mushy, inevitable-as-they-come romance (so tired of those stories - way too many of those). More of that would be good, as Amelia seems the fighting type anyway. :)

Thirdly, I really am admiring your close attention to detail, especially with the Cockney accent (again, something way too many writers get so horribly wrong). While not always perfect, it's one of the closest-to-the-real-thing I've seen, so kudos to you on that.

Fourthly, your characters. It's annoying how other stories are written to present the original boyfriend as stuffy/mean/conniving/just-not-for-the-girl, whereas the bad dudes automatically are amazingly good/repentant/etc within the first two chapters. Your story isn't quite like that, though Jack is obviously not as bad as he lets on. You give the characters more "individuality" in that there have been, so far (slightly apart from the rather disgusting Swiftie), none of them have the red mark of "BAD GUY" written in bold caps all over them. I respect that quality in writers like that. :)

Fifthly, I want to read more. So if I'm not starting to come off as a yappish Pomeranian at meal time, I'd really, seriously and sincerely want for you to write more. This story is just too good so far to just NOT finish!

-cazonetta (who loves a good story when she sees one - as least so good she doesn't stop to eat)
cazonetta chapter 1 . 11/23/2010
Love the action in this first chapter. I very much appreciate the care you took to research too (I know not many bother to look up the historical clothes of the period a story is set in, and/or make up things, something of a major pet peeve with me).

As much as I like giving well-rounded reviews, so far there's nothing to say on the grammar/punctuation/style. Looking forward to more. :)

-cazonetta
mistycabin chapter 5 . 11/21/2010
This is a really great story! :D
Jeanie Gordon chapter 1 . 8/13/2008
I can't believe how good that was! I almost hate you for how good you write. If I could write that good I wouldn't even stop for dinner. You astound me. I'm very glad to see that there is more to this story. i can't wait to read it. :D
R.M.Whitaker chapter 4 . 6/3/2008
I don't know if I could have the courage to hold a screaming man. The thought scares me! Amelia's awesome.
R.M.Whitaker chapter 3 . 6/3/2008
I'm SO SO SO SO SO SO SO sorry that it's taken me SO long to read this! I was so concentrated on my upcoming graduation that I practically lived in my mathbook! But now that I'm graduated I shall not make you wait so long for a review again!

I'm in love with Jack already. I doubt Amelia will hold out much longer, ha ha!

On to the next chapter!
India Blackwell chapter 2 . 5/21/2008
Clever dialouge and rascally characters. Good handling of suspense and action. Bonus points for using the word "tawdry". I'll be saving the rest of this to read later.
Elspeth chapter 4 . 5/8/2008
I am really enjoying this story! You're characters are interesting without being cliche. I really like Amelia because even though she attempts to have some grit she is still a lady of her times...she isn't marching around acting like a modern woman. So anyway great work! Please hurry and post the next chapter. I am curious to know what will happen next:)
Eet chapter 1 . 5/6/2008
Is this by any chance based off of the song of the same name by Alfred Noyes? It's one of my favorite poems ever.

If it is, you should mention it in an author's note of some sort.
Menginpeh chapter 1 . 4/1/2008
Very good character description. I could imagine them all in my mind.
faery tragedy chapter 2 . 3/27/2008
I love this so far! I like how you started with the action instead of bogging us down with tedious and unnecessary background knowledge. Your characters are really intriguing. Swiftie is particularly well-written in my opinion. I'm worried that Amelia will turn out too Mary Sue-esque though. Your language and prose are great! I can tell you've done your research. I hope to read more. *faery tragedy