Reviews for Collected Social and Political Essays
Elena K chapter 11 . 8/25/2013
Issues well pointed-out. An enjoyable couple of essays indeed. Thank you for presenting it to us.
Erylle chapter 2 . 5/6/2013
Enlightening essay on economy. I enjoyed the read.
Guest chapter 1 . 2/18/2013
?
We Can Be Lost Together chapter 11 . 7/5/2012
Science can answer a lot of why questions too. "Why does the moon travel around Earth? Why are my veins blue but when blood comes out the wound it's red?" Stuff like that.

Or religion can answer how questions too. "How do you go to Heaven? How do you give yourself to God a cleanse your sins?" Stuff like that.

Other than that point I like your essay. Me being neither that heavily religious or very scientific it was interesting to read what you though.
M. Williams chapter 10 . 5/27/2011
Your essay does an excellent, excellent job at laying out the issues, and the positions, and I think your position as someone on both sides of the debate in question helps you to do this much, much better than someone who is firmly in either fringe camp.

On the other hand, your position in the center seems to limit your ability to forcefully argue for a resolution, and in part I think that's because of the complicated and delicate nature of the topic presented. But I also think you're trying to give one answer to two questions: (1) how do you reconcile belief in a god with belief in science? and (2) how do we resolve the social tension between the fringe groups? I think your essay deals effectively with the former, but not with the latter question.

You seem to be calling for separate spheres here; science to answer "how" questions, religion to answer "why" questions, but more often than not, science and religion are not content to remain in those spheres, and plenty on both sides believe, perhaps not unreasonably, that they shouldn't have to. You use arguments meant to appeal to the middle ground, which is great for appealing to the middle ground, but I think you've already won them over in the first part. There are those who think the "fringes" should be left to battle it out in the public discourse, and see who comes out on top.

Just my thoughts. Full disclosure: I fall on the science side of the debate. You could call me fringe. :P
eiyuang999 chapter 10 . 5/23/2010

eiyuang999 chapter 4 . 5/23/2010

eiyuang999 chapter 2 . 5/23/2010

eiyuang999 chapter 1 . 5/23/2010

Nicki BluIs chapter 10 . 12/27/2008
It would seem that your older pieces are more thorough and better written then your newer pieces. Perhaps you had more time?

I liked your reference to Zen. I had to read that in high school and though I barely got through it I completly saw its relevance to this piece. This is the type of researc and outside support I have been waiting to see!

I also liked that you aptly and fairly criticised both viewpoints and left any biases at the door so to speak. It was very insightful.

If I may comment on the collection as a whole, I'd like to say that though I liked some pieces better than other, all of them made me think about things I usually take for granted.

Nicki :P

This review and those preceding it have been brought to you by the Review Game's Review Marathon! (link in my profile)