Reviews for The Seminary Gang III: Final Destiny
R.E.D. the animator chapter 37 . 7/7/2014
Reading through books 2 and 3 again it is becoming so clear to me that the first time I had read these stories, a lot of content was lost on my younger mind. It felt like lots of pointless action with only small useful plot points scattered randomly throughout. Also I didn't see much difference between books 2 and 3. They were both dark action stories with lots of death. I didn't really understand why they needed to be two books at all, or why they needed to be so dang long!

Reading these again, I appreciate the deep, evolving plot and story that emerges from these books and also the depth of all of the characters. Fallen World covers the first strike and how the gang survived, while Final Destiny covers the actual meat of the war itself along with the resolution. The many different perspectives paint a very good picture of what this post-apocalyptic world would be like. I noticed how much Kimmi changed between stories. Obviously getting her to start writing herself changed her character's personality drastically, so you created Jen as the replacement crazy Kimmi.

There is just so much that was either lost on me when this first came out, or just went unappreciated. This is a very adult story and I was just very young. Jon once pointed out in the forum that I was the #1 TSG fan, but to be honest, if I was #1, then you had a really crappy fan base.

But looking at it all it's clear to me that you didn't write this for any fans. You wrote this for the same reason that you originally wrote the first story on your palm pilot before seminary. It was just something fun to do with your friends. All of the hype and the dropping of hints (delta files) wasn't meant as much as a chance to get your thousands of fans excited as it was a chance to simply imitate the tactics used by the companies that release your favorite franchises. That's not to say that it's a bad thing. You did a great job, but you obviously weren't planning on this being a huge success in the real world. It was for fun.

Also I like how you did a good job covering all of the possible outcomes which could have cut the story much shorter. When I started reading the second book again a few weeks ago I was considering making a How It Should Have Ended cartoon exploiting an obvious plot hole, but as I read along I was quite unable to find one. Also I have no idea what Jade and Kimmi look like, so I wouldn't be able to draw them very well.

Reaper chapter 38 . 9/3/2008
Very...interesting...ending. I didn't get my epic fight between Charlie and Jon which would destroy the universe, but a simple, infuriated stabbing. This ending is like COD 4, right in the middle of a gunfight. Still awesome though, with some great quotes,

“You can’t kill gods, McKenzi. And once you get back on the drug, you won’t even care!”

That being a favorite. Interesting Kenzi death too. It seemed like she tried to jump away to her old home, but was then shot in the face and went to...nothingness?

As for the final chapter itself, seemed like your average funeral.

P.S. Funeral with SUPERPEOPLE!
Silent Will chapter 38 . 8/29/2008
*applauds* Job well done, here. Job very well done. So Kenzi and Charlie are no more and it's officially being written off that the car crash was Kenzi's cause of death, huh? And only the Gang know the truth? Very warm and comforting way to end it here. (yeah, right) On a side note I liked how you brought it all back to where it began at the end. Sometimes it's a little overly-dramatic when people do that, but in this case there was a good reason for it and it fit perfectly. Nice job ending it there.

However, I have some other comments to make. I didn't really find anything wrong with any of your styles, but I can't say I entirely see the logic in writing part two and then writing a sequel almost instantly afterward. Although I guess it's possible you knew part two couldn't be long enough to wrap the whole thing up and merging them would be make the story kind of long (to put it mildly).

Also, I'm not so sure I'd advise you to go back to protagonists based entirely off of real people again in the near future. I just don't think you'd get the same satisfaction of making entirely unique characters if the characters in the story are actually real people. (although obviously there were plenty of fictional ones you came up with on your own a while in, so I guess I could ignore that) I've actually wanted to say this since TSG2, but when I saw you were already working on a sequel, I thought I'd better hold off until then, so this comment has been months in the making.

This last thing is probably my own fault for not being attentive enough, but after three stories I found myself forgetting some of the standings of some of the more minor characters, like whose side they were on, how they came up, etc. Like I said, it was probably me not paying enough attention at the time, but maybe a reminder or two would have helped.

But enough about that. Anyway, congratulations on finishing up this trilogy...or is it finished? You made it sound like all the work wasn't done and now they're actually going to try to save spite of everything she did. (I know it wasn't her fault, but still...) Heh, I guess that's what happens: put the word 'Final' in the title and you'll get people thinking it's going to end with this installment. Maybe it will, maybe it won't. I guess we'll just wait and see.

Very nicely done on finishing it up after all these years. (November 2006 to August 2008 is a long time to be working on something like this) Congratulations again. Give yourself a cookie for finishing up the trilogy. (even if you've already got a fourth installment planned, give yourself a cookie anyway)

Wow, I don't think I've ever written this much before. Then again, it doesn't look like you've ever posted a story this long before either. Kinda fitting, wouldn't you say?

Alright, my turn to say this now: Kudos! (PS...thank you for that shootout!)
R.E.D. the animator chapter 38 . 8/29/2008
"There was no puff of smoke, no cloud of brimstone, or even a final remark. Charlie simply slipped off into peaceful oblivion." WHAT THE HECK?

It's done, and yet it isn't. There are some unanswered questions still:

What happened to Areo?

Will there be a sequal?

Will we be running into Charlie again?

What was that thing that Charlie sent to our reality?

Will Kenzi's love for the X-box send her into an alternate reality that is almost identical to one particular video game?

And most importantly of all: WILL I BE IN IT?
Reaper chapter 36 . 8/29/2008
Very awesome four chapters, work has been a real prick, and I've been sick as all Christ for the past week too. Interesting to see Jade die, never liked her, but thought she'd be there to the end.

Ending of last chapter though is giving more than just hints to an epic battle of epicly epic proportions. Although nothing as epic as two dudes using skyscrapers as sword...hang on, I'm gonna go write that down.

P.S. W is currently on a...break. Sickness has forced me to stop using my awesome and powerful mind, and work has nearly killed it too.
Silent Will chapter 36 . 8/27/2008
Okay, now I really, really, REALLY sense a big confrontation coming. Now Jon's against Charlie (after your first good massacre scene for a little while, I might add) and the Gang is on their last leg. There is no way it can be much longer before that big final battle I've been waiting for.

And Kenzi's back to doing stuff that would get her in trouble with the cops. Beautiful time to be smoking joints, right now.
R.E.D. the animator chapter 36 . 8/27/2008
This is a little flaw I saw with Charlie's plan for a few chapters now. If Jade died, there would be no reason for Jon not to turn on them all. If Charlie were smart, she would have captured Jade and put her under Chryo-Staysis in some bunker where no one would be able to kill her.

Oh, and it the first day of the new Seminary year! I finaly found my ability. I can turn off my computer alarm without using my hands! I just woke up and it turned off.

The updates are going faster. This could have been helpful while posting the second book.

Silent Will chapter 35 . 8/26/2008
Poor Jade. I can't say I really cared for her, but that must have been a pretty unpleasant way to go. Darn it, and it looked like she was finally picking up some momentum before that happened. (I myself had forgotten about that little trap that was placed in her)

Well, now what? All the major characters are getting killed off. Could it perhaps just end with the original members of the Seminary Gang facing off against Charlie and maybe Kenzi? (Kenzi certainly seemed to be back to her evil ways in this chapter)

By the way, you were right. That WAS a pretty quick update.
Double AA chapter 35 . 8/25/2008
AHH! Why why why why why! Do you always have to end the chapter at a cliff hanger! I think I always knew Jade would die. Boy is Jen gonna get it! First Charlie will kill her because she messed up the whole Jon thing, then Jon will kill her because she killed Jade, and then Brian will kill her because he feels like it. Poor Jen.
R.E.D. the animator chapter 35 . 8/25/2008
I don't know who Jen should be more affraid of. Jon or Charile. Now Jon has no reason to stay on Kenzi's side and I'm pretty sure he's going to be mad.
Silent Will chapter 34 . 8/24/2008
What a shame. Everyone made it sound like the solution to all this would as simple as lodging a bullet in Kenzi's head. Then Jade had to go and ruin it all.

Man, I thought a confrontation was going to be well underway by now. Exactly how much longer do you expect me to wait?...okay, that was rhetorical. I'm guessing you're expecting me to wait as long as it'll take you to post it.
R.E.D. the animator chapter 34 . 8/22/2008
I don't get it. Why COULDN'T they have told Jade? Oh, I know. To make for a more epic ending. Duh!

And why am I the only one talking sense?
Silent Will chapter 33 . 8/19/2008
Darn it, you've beaten my record of the highest number of chapters in one story.

Anyhoo...yes, it's all finally happening now. NOW I'd like to see you avert a big, climactic confrontation one more time. I have guessed it coming many times, and I've always been wrong. But this time...with Richard, Kaitlin and Kimmi marching in like that and the way you ended the chapter, I'd say things are quickly going to be tumbling to a close soon. (come on, what else am I supposed to think based on that quick exchange between Richard and Brian?)
R.E.D. the animator chapter 33 . 8/19/2008
*Inhales deeply* A- *inhales again* -ah!

The suspence is killing me by the way. Somehow I still suspect some kind of grand confrontation involving Charlie, Jon, Kenzi, Katlin, Richard, Brian, Kimmi, Jade, and a slice of cheesecake. (Do love that cheesecake)
jadeisms chapter 1 . 8/17/2008
hey richard,

if we ever get an award for these books...I want this A.N. to be your acceptance speech...hehe
132 | Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »