Reviews for The Ascending Dawn: The Tale of the Arabian Nights
Cleopatraa chapter 7 . 6/29/2012
I mean yeah four girls were murdered but that her father allowed her to still marry him.
Cleopatraa chapter 6 . 6/29/2012
Would they know who Cassandra is in that time age?
Cleopatraa chapter 5 . 6/29/2012
I'm still surprised she had convinced her father actually haha
Cleopatraa chapter 4 . 6/29/2012
I like the dream she had. Stuff like this happens in real life
Cleopatraa chapter 3 . 6/29/2012
I had never been a good secret-keeper—the lack of that skill went hand in hand with my ability as a storyteller. I was formed to share what I knew, not keep it in my bosom.

I really like this part and it makes it much more realistic after all a story teller like her would probably get some inspiration out of her own life and the things she sees and hears
Cleopatraa chapter 2 . 6/29/2012
It's so horrible that she was the one who had founded them. Was this the same in the real Arabian night or did you just made that up?
Cleopatraa chapter 1 . 6/29/2012
He was such a kind hearted man in the first chapter. See what betrayed love and a broken heart can do to a person
Cleopatraa chapter 17 . 6/29/2012
Well it was too good to be true to think he would be a fool and not see through here. I like the fact he is opening up to her and I'm so glad you updated! Seeing I can't wait to see what happens I will review the chapters which I hadn't reviewed
Guest chapter 17 . 6/29/2012
I'm reviewing as a thank you to you for writing the beautiful story. Can't post long review now but pleaseee... update soon?
Sharky237 chapter 17 . 6/28/2012
This was a wonderful chapter (as always). My only wish is to see more scenes like the end scene in this chapter; more interaction between the main characters. Your scenery descriptions and the tales you tell (or I guess Shaherazade tells) are amazing, but they slow down or sometimes hinder the overall progress of the larger story. All in all, I still adore this story, keep up the great work!

Cheers

sharky
WinterInk24 chapter 16 . 6/6/2012
:D YOU'RE BACK! I got really excited when I saw this alert in my mail. Truly love this story. Not a lot happened really, but I still appreciate the fine quality of your writing. I can't wait to hear more about the parrot's failed love story. And to see what other antics Zainab will get into. I was longing for more interaction and progress with Shahryar's and Shaherazade's relationship. But at least we progressed to Shahryar calling her by her first name adn assigning guards for her safety. One less threat to worry about. Because Shahryar is enough of a threat honestly. Please update soon.
elladoralestrange chapter 16 . 6/6/2012
Yeah! You updated again
Perisada chapter 15 . 6/6/2012
Since you've read The Arabian Nights, you may already know that my penname comes from on of the stories. And if you know that, then you know how much I adore Arabian Nights. Knowing all that, it will be clear how much it means when I say that I absolutely adore this story. ADORE IT.

The thing I'm most amazed by: the fact that your "stories-within-a-story" actually sound like something straight out of the Nights. In fact, some of them are actually even better than some of the stories in the Nights. This is something I once thought of as an impossible task, given that those stories are over a thousand years old, and though adapted throughout the ages, have never been improved upon. Whatever it is that you've got, work with it. The mini-stories are almost more exciting than the main plot. Almost, but not quite, because the main plot's friggin awesome.

Your interpretation of the actual circumstances surrounding the telling of the Tales is interesting and definitely draws me in. The idea that Scheherazade actually caused the death of the first malika was mind blowing at first, but gradually I accepted it and it made sense. Rather than keeping the characters as flat and static as they are in the book, you brought them to life-I can see Dunyazad's face, their father's eyes, everything. Shahryar is no longer a raging, unforgiving madman-instead he's someone who was once deeply in love who has been hurt to his core.

The historical details are wonderful. I don't know anything about when the story of Scheherazade is actually set, but I like that you put it in the, if I remember correctly, Sassanid Empire. The threats from the barbarian invaders and the tension going on at that time over the extent and control of Islamic territories really add a lot to the story, providing another layer of conflict besides Scheherazade's situation (because we know that eventually, that turns out well). On that note, even though I know that in the book Scheherazade is pardoned, you keep the reader guessing, and I'm sure it won't be as easy as that. For example, her competition with Little Red. I kinda want to hate her, just like Scheherazade, but in staying true to the time period, I know that concubines are really just a part of palace life, and no queen would expect her husband to not have them. I would guess that very few kings were ever completely faithful to their wives, even if they did love them, because kings were expected to sleep with concubines.

The last thing I want to compliment you on is the description. You describe how the palace looks, the clothing they wear, the food they eat, the cool baths and the relaxing courtyards all so that it feels as though I'm actually there. And a visit to a sumptuous Middle Eastern palace is always something I'm up for :)

I can't wait till your next update. On with the rest of the nights!
Ioga chapter 15 . 4/19/2012
I love it how you mix history, language, personal drama and the Arabian Nights together. It gets me curious how much of the original tale you've included, because I haven't actually read it as a book (which is one of the reasons I picked this up, originally).

I felt it was a bit strange in chapter 15 that the story just commented in passing that Zainab was walking in the bazaar, "her breasts bound". It's the first indication in a list that she's dressed up as a boy, but it's a rather indirect way of saying it. (If you're not used to the pattern of behaviour you might even think it's a way of saying "wearing an old-times bra", maybe? ;))

I was also wondering if the parrot was calling 'Omar 'Umar deliberately or by typo.

It's always nice to come back to this story. :) Thanks for this!
aisha chapter 12 . 4/5/2012
hello, i came across your story and i am glad i did. it drew me in right from the begining. it seems like you really did your research about the time period and culture which shows in your writing. one thing though if you dont mind me correcting is that the friday sermon is actually called khutbah. and another thing i thought hannahs father was yosef, he has another name? can you clarify that please. thank you
127 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 .. Last Next »