Reviews for The Ascending Dawn: The Tale of the Arabian Nights
Torticolis chapter 4 . 1/19/2011
Woah! Way way way intense chapter there! I like how you write Shaherazade's POV. She seems smart, aware but slightly sheltered from the world, and brutally honest despite her wild imagination. The sultan, on the other hand, is starting to scare me somewhat, but his character also incites a great deal of curiosity. Though the sultana's behavior is the most intriguing of all, perhaps you'll be so kind as to provide us with Shaherazade thoughts on the forces that drove Fataneh to her actions in later chapters? Either way, I can't wait for your next update.
CrazyCowgirl101 chapter 4 . 1/6/2011
AHH! Cliff hanger! Update ASAP! PLEASE!
torticolis chapter 3 . 10/31/2010
Very interesting. I find your version that much more engaging than the actual original. Hope you keep working on this story.
SavyLeArtist chapter 3 . 5/5/2010
This is a great retelling! I've always wanted to read a good rich retelling of this story, and I've find one, please keep up the wonderful work!
thepretender1031 chapter 1 . 1/15/2010
oh i love this! i think i love 1001 arabian nights since the tv movie came out a long time ago w/ Dougary Scott as the sultan.

i'm so happy you're writing ur own version on this. can't wait!
CrazyCowgirl101 chapter 2 . 8/31/2009
I cannot wait for you to update this! Its wonderful! So please, please,please update soon!
kia chapter 1 . 8/10/2009
I has always fansinated abt what happenec bwt Scheherazade and her husband. nice to see ur fic. It's very update:)
Kira chapter 1 . 4/7/2008
Great so far, please keep writing.
moon-behind-dark-clouds chapter 1 . 3/24/2008
I hope you do continue this story. It looks very promising )
Angel Jenna chapter 1 . 3/18/2008
This looks like it is going to be a very interesting story. Can't wait to read more. Hopeful the chapters will be a little longer though.
Nightmare Of Eden chapter 1 . 3/15/2008
Awesome job! I've heard that name before, love historical fiction, and hoping for more chapters. There wasn't anything I didn't like, it was all very well written! Well, maybe she could have had a nickname. That name sure is a mouthful!

Keep it up!
PrettiestWretchedWhore chapter 1 . 3/15/2008
Very well written! You have such a beautiful way with words that made me enjoy this story very much. It's awesome you include much description and have a high vocabulary. Only a few little things like "The rumoured beautiful to be bride" sounded a bit confused. Also I wonder if they're could be another way to foreshadow at the end besides the endless questions? Just a thought. Keep writing!
Hed in the Cloudz chapter 1 . 3/15/2008
Ever so sorry for taking so long to get back to you! For some reason fictionpress wouldn't let me message you to tell you that I hadn't forgotten you, but here I am now, ready to review! (I have a tendency to comment line by line, so please don't expect many generalities...)

Ooh. Big name to type over and over. I shall call Shaherazade 'Sha', because I am unable to spell it correctly otherwise.

First off, "Shaherazade leapt up and down in attempt to catch a look of the rumored-to-be beautiful bride on the carried palanquin to whom all eyes were naturally drawn to" is a very long and rather confusing phrase. The root would be 'Sha leapt up and down", but then you add about five different modifiers and lose any reason for her actions. It's certainly an interesting start, but I'm not quite sure what she's doing- trying to catch the woman's attention, or trying to appear to be that woman? Sure, the next sentence tells us that she just wants to catch a glimpse of the bride-to-be, but a confusing first sentence isn't the best way to draw in readers.

You sure describe things well, though! I can picture the luxury and elegance of he whole scene- even smell it, oddly enough. ANd Dunyazad has the perfect attitude, given her role later in the story, at least as I know it!

Wow. The sultana is European. Would never have guessed that, but it's a nice little detail! And the Sultan's attitude is certainly surprising, given the reputation that he'll surely get later...

I like the title, as well! It's beautifully worded, and surely fits the story, given your explanation. Overall, a great start! I love the idea, and this promises to be an intriguing read, definitely. You have a few grammar errors, though- perhaps you should look into getting a beta? Anywho, I can't wait for the next chapter! (*hint, hint*)
A. James Robin chapter 1 . 3/11/2008
review game:

This story is excellent. It flows very well, and there are many descriptive sentences that make the story come alive. Always remember that the most important part of a story is the descriptions. As for the characters, i thought that you did a great job in developing them. Another cool thing about descriptions is that they practically do everything for you: they explain the place and time, develop characters, and heighten suspense. The last paragraph did well in keeping me interested. It left me wondering what's going to happen to the sultan's new wife. Anyway, you did a very good job with this story, so please continue working it.
loves him chapter 1 . 3/8/2008
review game.

Nice beginning.

I like your characterization of Shahezade and your descriptions, but there are a few things that you could work on. First, get rid of some of the extremely ornate details that you have when describing the wedding. For example, where you write:

"The wedding was being held in the grandest hall of the Persian palace, where the golden arches swooped gracefully although they were heavily laden with inlay and carving over the heads of the guests and intricate lanterns of silver and gold that swung from the archways glowed all about casting the whole affair into a soft, charmed light."

I saw quite a few adjectives that could have been taken out. 'glowed all about' and 'although they were heavily laden with inlay and carving'. There were other instances as well, but that's just one that I found.

However, I have to admit, there were some descriptions that really added to your story, like the description of the Sultana, the Sultan and Sultana's infatuation with each other, etc. etc. So keep the good stuff, but try omitting what's unnecessary.

And a question. Is the Sultan that she is marrying, about to marry, in line to marry the same one as before or just a different Sultan? I was a bit confused there.

All in all, the beginning's (prologue if you will) really intriguing and I hope that you continue.
124 | « Prev Page 1 .. 5 6 7 8 9 Next »