Reviews for Curtis and Me
AZsweetheart chapter 40 . 7/1/2013
So, I read this story and it's prequel and the collection of scenes from "The Devil and Me" universe all in one day (partially because I'm a slightly obsessive person and partially because they're both delightful!) and I have to say, the best thing about it is the frankness of the characters. It's difficult to create a character that is not only aware of their flaws, but sincerely recognizes how fucked up they are. Also, my favorite line from both stories, without a doubt:
"Maybe I don't need him, and he doesn't need me. It doesn't make sense to need a person anyway. I have value as a person, as myself."
Please note that that line was absolutely perfect and I felt the need to holler joyfully when I read it! D
I spotted one flaw that I can remember- though I can't remember which chapter it was in... -_-... but Josie is talking about turning back the clock, except the "c" is missing.
KoriLee123 chapter 40 . 6/26/2013
Perfect, just perfect.
monsgors chapter 40 . 6/25/2013
So what about that baby? LOL
PS- I have fallen in love with their relationshit (The T is there on purpose)
:D
I love the way you write in Josie's POV so that the book is biased. It made me work harder to understand characters and I was definitely more surprised when stuff hit the fan, most writers just don't do that, and a lot of the time it kills the surprise. So, yea, this is among my favorites.
AJS chapter 40 . 6/11/2010
Really good story. It's sad that they broke up, but i'm glad that this had a happy ending and I guess it made sense that she would be so insecure about everything too. that's actually crazy that Curtis stalked her for that long, lol, but I guess the hints were really there from the beginning. Reading that makes me want to go back and read over everything again. I'm glad that his emotions for her run that deep though - it's reassuring, and nice to think about. :)

I actually don't really know what else to say though. I'm really glad you wrote this - I guess Curtis wasn't physically in this story that much, mainly just him through his book, but it was insightful as well. And a bit surprising to realize that he didn't have as many lovers as I suspected that he would. Does Curtis ever find out about the baby? I guess maybe, because Helena knew, but then again maybe not, because really in Josie's eyes, it's not her baby, so she might not mention it. And Curtis didn't actually say those things about her being worthless, right? That was all just made up by Helena. Wow, I didn't know Helena would be so evil. I really did think that Josie was being paranoid about her hating her.

Anyway, yeah. Good story. Thanks for writing it. :) I'm going to check out some of the short tidbits you wrote in addition to this - I miss Josie & Curtis. I wonder though... why did you never put Romance as a genre for these stories? I guess I could see the first one but this one definitely seems like romance to me. At first, it was keeping me from reading the first one...

And why doesn't this sequel have more reviews? What a shame :( It definitely deserves more...

- Alyssa
NeitherNora chapter 40 . 10/24/2009
Dear toomanypickles (and anyone else who actually reads the Reviews pages of FictionPress stories),

I admit it: I hate leaving reviews. I always feel like a spaz who writes an essay where two lines is expected; then again, I feel like two lines are never enough, because reviews should be special and consist of more than just "ur story was so good omg lolol!1!eleven".

I feel a need to explain this, because it leads into my apology for not writing a review for "The devil and me". Which was fabulous, don't get me wrong - I just wasn't feeling very verbose when I finished it, and didn't think I was up to the task of leaving a worthy review that would be longer than two lines and shorter than an essay.

Now, however, I have just finished "Curtis and Me", and have decided to throw my reservations about lengthy reviews in the recycling bin (and not the trash bin, since I know they'll come back and I don't want sticky remains from whatever else is in the trash coming back with them; I'd much prefer they take their brief vacation with scraps of discarded paper)!

First, I need to say that sequels almost always suck. And by "almost always" I mean "roughly 98% of the time". I always read them (particularly when the first story is so enjoyable), and I am always disappointed.

I wasn't this time!

Not only was the sequel as much fun as the original, but it had an unique plot that simultaneously continued the wonderful experience of the first story AND expanded upon the original idea! This is so rare! You'll have to take my word on the fact that I usually don't usually use exclamation points this often, but I'm using them now because I'm so excited about the fact that this plot was actually GOOD! And sequels usually suck!

Now that I've convinced you (again) that I'm a spaz, I will continue to my next bit of raving, which is somewhat less excited sounding (because I was less surprised by it) but no less important (because it totally is important).

The writing style was very effective - giving the audience a full view of Josie's life while still keeping it all in her point of view. (By the way, I usually dislike writing in which the story is told from different characters' perspectives. It's inconsistent, drives me crazy, and is generally not well-done or in-character.) Josie's voice was very convincing, especially due to her matter-of-fact way of expressing herself. There were no overly-emotional exclamations of passion and/or depression - her reactions to every situation she found herself in were actually completely realistic.

I'm also generally not a fan of short chapters. No offense, but chapters that aren't at least 4,0 words kinda bug me. However, in this case, I found the varying lengths of the chapters (even the shortest ones) worked very well - it helped the feel of frank storytelling that Josie's tone set up, and I felt that each chapter ended where it wanted to. It probably would have bothered me more as a reader while you were updating, but as a reader of the completed work I found it very refreshing. Kudos on knowing how to end a chapter, bee-tee-dubs.

It took me a while to warm up to the characters - I wasn't sure what to think of Curtis for most of the story, which was probably intentional, and isn't actually a complaint at all; I'm still not sure what to think of Lucifer, who I sort of think had good intentions all along if not for the whole crazy-family-stealing-Josie's- uterus thing; and Josie felt sort of flat to me for a long time (and I don't just mean her chest!). I sort of wanted more backstory to her - for example, why doesn't she have any friends? That bugged me. I mean, Julian (aka DoucheMan) dumped her, and then she had no one? At all? I get no family, but no friends? AT ALL? Hm. I haven't read "Josie and Company" yet (though I'm looking forward to it), so I can't say you never explain it, because I really don't know for sure, but still. Buggage.

(Speaking of "Josie and Company": I would like to say that I totally plan to leave another review after it, but as I previously mentioned, I hate reviewing, so no promises.)

Which isn't to say I didn't like Josie. I adored Josie. She was quirky and loved oatmeal. How can you not like a character who's quirky and loves oatmeal? The answer: You can't. Plus, she was aware of her own faults, and could admit to herself that she's a selfish bitch - then, even better, not dwell on the fact and get all angsty and self-hating. Angsty characters are not fun to read! They are whiny! Josie did not whine, and for this I adore her even more.

The only other thing (which is very small and that I wouldn't bring up if it wasn't consistent throughout both stories) has to do with punctuation. I am a Grammar Nazi, and so must correct people who make grammatical errors. Apologies if this offends.

Now, to illustrate my case, I take a quote from chapter 40 of "Curtis and Me":

“Okay, okay, don’t get carried away.” I tell him with a grin. He puts me back on my feet.

“Let’s never fight again.” He says.

I can’t help the snort that escapes me. “That will never happen.” I tell him. “We’re both contrary people; it’s impossible.”

“Nothing is impossible.” He argues, grinning like a fool.

The punctuation error occurs in each of these lines of dialogue, and is that periods should not be used at the end of a line when it is followed by the rest of the sentence, and should instead be commas. Which is very hard to describe, so here's an example:

"This is the correct way to do it," said the annoying Grammar Nazi. "Periods still go at the very end of it, though, and exclamation points and question marks are unaffected. It's kinda confusing."

And, another example, using the piece I just took from chapter 40:

“Okay, okay, don’t get carried away,” I tell him with a grin. He puts me back on my feet.

“Let’s never fight again,” he says.

I can’t help the snort that escapes me. “That will never happen,” I tell him. “We’re both contrary people; it’s impossible.”

“Nothing is impossible,” he argues, grinning like a fool.

See? It's not that hard, once you get the hang of it, and makes sense, since it's technically all one sentence.

Anyway, as I said, I wouldn't have mentioned this if it hadn't been consistent. I hope this bit of advice helps you in future writings, and not that you think I'm just being an annoying reviewer who thinks she knows better. Because I mean this in a constructive way, and other than this one mistake your grammar was pretty solid (which is more than can be said for a lot of internet-published writers). So, um... yeah.

In conclusion, the stories of Josie and Curtis are totally awesome and make me very happy on the inside. All criticism is insignificant in comparison to the wonderfulness, and I look forward to reading the next sequel (which may or may not be reviewed, but probably not).

And that is my 7,0 character essay on "The devil and me" and "Curtis and Me". I hope it will be well-received.

Have a nice day,

FireFalcon1414

PS: I'm sort of looking forward to this showing up on the Reviews page, since it's a bit monstrous. Ho-hum...
chicagobabe chapter 40 . 10/7/2009
awh. haha i loved it, more than the first one! most of the chapters was so touching, hilarious,makes you feels like ur watchn a movie bah, just oh lala. anothor thing i like about the two stories is ur enthusiasm. lol it just makes a smile on face :)
EvaJoLynn chapter 1 . 8/9/2009
I LOVED THIS SERIES!

I JUST WISH YOU WOULD HAVE WENT IN 2 WHAT HAPPENED 2 JOSIE'S BABY MORE...
FadedWhispers chapter 40 . 7/31/2009
Aw its ended! Can you believe that i read Devil and me and the sequel all in one night. After reading Twilight i havent been able to stand all those teenage vampire/supernatural novels, but you made it very bearable.

Man this last chapter was really good, you found out about Curtis and seriously i was crying through it all. Thanks for a great read!
TymCon chapter 40 . 7/6/2009
Oh happy ending:P Wtf was whit that waiter:D Will there be another sequal?
TymCon chapter 37 . 7/6/2009
Oh know curtis and um her:P I completely forgot her name for some reason:P
TymCon chapter 36 . 7/6/2009
"Plus, you have some rather scary sociopathic tendencies my dear.” That was very curtish:P This is such a good sequal!
TymCon chapter 1 . 7/5/2009
Yay a sequal!:O Yes!:P
Zeroko chapter 25 . 6/23/2009
Ha...

I want oatmeal now...
Amelya chapter 40 . 11/20/2008
This story might be a bit off mainstream but it's so much entertaining. For me it makes sense to read it in big chunks and not wait for each single chapter to keep up with the storyline.

You've got quite an original writing style, which proved very appropriete with the story. I wouldn't mind reading some more of it if you're up to revisiting the characters once more.
Briana chapter 40 . 11/14/2008
Oh my. I love this story and I loved the one before it. I really really like Josie. She's a good character and I like Curtis because he's okay with being called a pompous ass. I'm so glad that they ended up together because for a minute there you had me worried.
54 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »