Reviews for Icarus
she smolders chapter 1 . 3/15/2008
The story of Icarus has always intrigued me and the story you tell does as well now. Your words are full of images, emotions, and the dreams I wish I could remember. Take care.
Esther Jade chapter 1 . 3/10/2008
Favourite things about the poem:

1) the rhythm in the couplet in the centre.

2) the final lines. There's something so poignant about longing to be a character that had such a tragic end.

Small minor point is that the enjambment at the end of the first stanza feels a bit unnecessary. There's nothing revelatory about what comes in the last line so the run-on seems a bit random.

Overall, I liked where the concept was going but I felt that the lack of context weakened the poem. The reference to the "city gates" makes it feel like it's either historical and fantastical. When a poem lacks any context, I personally think it weakens the overall idea as it gives the reader no hook from which to relate. Has she burned someone? Are they the ashes after someone has been cremated?

I think you've got a great concept - it's worth giving it an anchor.
Billie.Joelle chapter 1 . 3/7/2008
Review Game!

Wow, this gave me the chills. The flow was amazing, the style was incredible. Normally i would say something about the parentheses, but you used them really well in this poem. Very nice job. The imagery was incredible. You used punctuation really well too. I can't say anything bad! Very, very nice. I would recommend it. Good job.

~BJ
The Psychopath Blonde chapter 1 . 3/6/2008
I want to fly...*sniffs*

I'm not really sure I understand this poem, but that's not always the point I guess. It gave me a shivery feeling, anyway, so I guess that means I enjoyed it. :)

Bye!