Reviews for Pen Pals
FoolofaTook17 chapter 1 . 4/12/2008
I really liked this. You managed to make a simple concept type of thing into an interesting story, which is always good. The repetition of Ray's daily activities was a nice touch, too. Oh, and this line, "Not to be rude, but that sounds rather boring. If I were you, I’d bike into town or go to a museum or perhaps streak at a baseball game to liven things up" made me laugh out loud :). Great job!
Burnt Bread chapter 1 . 3/13/2008
Yeah, I like it too. The Ray sat, Ray ate, Ray did was a bit repetitive, but I can understand that you were getting at Ray's monotonous lifestyle punctuated briefly by the letters.

I like how the story is set in his house - it doesn't follow him around too much, just waits for him to come back. It makes the letters and the changes they bring about more obvious.

The basis of the story was a bit creepy - anonymous letters and all. I kept expecting you to pull a 'secret window' on me.

The ending was nice. It implied a sense of hope, new doors opening. I don't think that what happened in the forest was important, just that he went to the forest. Some of the magic might have been lost if it was described.

Shane Olivieri? Olivieri?

Bread
felicia13 chapter 1 . 3/13/2008
This was sad, but in any way that I can pinpoint. It was a good kind of sad, but still... sad.

I kind of wanted for something important to happen to him in the woods. She just seemed to stress that a lot. More than, perhaps, someone else in her situation would have. But he just walked around and then came back... it was a little disappointing.

I really loved the beginning, though. It was awesome. It was very "See Jane run." Nice effect.

The only thing I really wasn't as happy with was the ending. But... point of preference, I suppose. Still loved it. It was touching, in a way, and just what I needed at the moment. Lots of stress, you know. This was tranquil. And she helped him live his life a little more, even if it was just going out in the woods at night.

What ever happened to her? It doesn't change the story or anything... I'm just curious.

Felicia.
Sakka-Fenikkusu chapter 1 . 3/12/2008
This is a really nice, simple story. I like it a lot. I especially love the beginning; your technique is flawless. You manage to hold onto the reader's attention, even while covering the more mundane parts of Ray's life.

Good job. Keep it up, Wolfie. You're improving, even if you don't readily see it.

Sincerely,