Reviews for Scheherazade
BlaznFangurl chapter 1 . 7/15/2009
This was really a great story. I think the prince was an ass, and the father a lying fool who will probably die lonely, but it was good for the most part. Great Job.

Blazn, via The Roadhouse, Pay it Forward.
Clorinda chapter 1 . 2/19/2009
Ooh, the holy Muse of far-fetched stories, also known as overdone cliché of great intellectual depth and symbol of cosmic significance— held up as such by the illiterate writers of the world. Usually, she's held up the escapist, the opportunist, the epitome of pen-is-mightier-than-the-sword, which is all very good and true, but there's just too many of that. I loved how this one went began by juggling around with the king, and of course her very, VERY apt question about what would happen to her gorgeous bounty.

About her fleeting thought of curtsying and running off from the garden: I may be wrong here, but aren't curtsies an exclusively English tradition?

Interesting, though, that the king isn't oh-another-one-of-those-random-despots. And I loved the simple, brisk: "She had heard the rumors, and she was afraid." The lioness's internal-torment moment was really well-done; I'm beginning to seriously like this guy.

Brilliant how you revealed the sleeping man and the king are not the same. Completely swept away by the hint that it's all a lie, and how her mind works to find an excuse for her poverty.
Jalindal chapter 1 . 11/8/2008
Wonderful. Scheherazade and her tales has always been one of my favourite stories. I was born in Saudi Arabia and my parents, as British Ex-Pats, were always a little bit withdrawn from Arabic culture and a little bit wondering at it's wonders- they read me Arabian Nights every night, near enough, and it's the book I think of when I think of childhood. (Aren't the books we read as children the best ones?)

This was fantastic. I love how Scheherazade finally creates a story for (about?) herself. The way it begins, "Breath in. Begin." is the most perfect sentence I think you could have placed there.

I'm trying to think of concrit, but... I'm coming up with nothing. Sorry. :-)
Peskypiskie chapter 1 . 9/13/2008
ARABIAN NIGHTS! This is so weird - i totally just finished watching that movie 20 minutes ago. Anyway this was brilliant (of course). The style matched that of Arabian Nights and so did Scheherazade's irritating characteristic of leaving a story without an end for another time. Fantastic.
Mockingbyrd's Tune chapter 1 . 8/17/2008
Congratulations! You know how to spell “Scheherazade!” That is a feat all its own. Her character always fascinated me, the ability to think quickly and discerningly under pressure.

So, she made the whole King Shahryar and the 1001 tales up in her head. She was actually married to a potter she didn’t love? How depressing.

To feel better about the story, let me dwell on some of the great lines:

“The gentle dusk that hung over the garden was suddenly ripe with mysteries.” “Garden” and “ripe” :o)

“Yawning great as the mouths of giants, they drank in the dry, cool outside air in thirsty gulps.” Lovely.

“work out the tangle of emotions within her before he pulled them any tighter.” “Tangle of emotions” is a common phrase; yet, I’ve never heard the thought of pulling them tighter. Very dramatic.

“A lioness was driven by instinct to catch and kill her prey.” How clever to insert the idea of a lioness! One of the original supposed meanings of her name was “from the lion,” I believe.

“whispering dreams in (the world’s) ear while everything else sleeps.” I like the effect of giving her this supernatural-like quality with her storytelling.

Yet, something about this piece feels restrained to me.

M.T.
heypandora chapter 1 . 6/29/2008
[I'm not a very good reviewer. Sorry.]

First, I must say that I do love how you began the story, particularly the [Breathe in. Begin.] which is very enticing (to me, at least.)

Above all else the characters shine! The prince, especially, in that he seemed so frightening at the beginning of the tales and seemed to get softer.

Your last sentence is simply beautiful. The first clause (part?) of it, above all [there will be other nights, and other stories.

-KM.
Sasha Williams chapter 1 . 3/23/2008
Wow, this was fantastic! I'm only briefly familiar witht eh story of Scheherazade, and this helped me undrstand better. You're like her, you write so powerfully.
Sarah-A-Bear chapter 1 . 3/21/2008
I really enjoyed it! My eyes could not leave the page after the first sentances. You have a wonderful talent. Great descriptions, I could see the story the whole time playing in my head. Bravo. Oh and I read your profile. Vociferously? Would you please define for me? Again, really admire your works.
hideandscout93 chapter 1 . 3/21/2008
wow, wow idk wat to say, that was great. i wish there was more of the story that scheherazade was telling. it kind of reminded me of that thousand arabian nights book and how the person is forced to tell stories. its still really good. looking foward to other stories!

Forever and Always

*Hideandscout*
elinquish chapter 1 . 3/19/2008
This is beautiful... I loved it.
Sword on Fire chapter 1 . 3/15/2008
Wow. Just - wow. That's really good. I love it, how Scheherazade can change the world, just by whispering into the night. And the story she tells is quite relate-able. Very nice.
intelart chapter 1 . 3/15/2008
love this story. the idea of a story within a story is really interesting, and i can't really think of much critique. very nice!
Gathering Crows chapter 1 . 3/14/2008
...*HUG* I love this. so so so so so so much.
Tranquil Thorns chapter 1 . 3/14/2008
This is breathtaking; you kept me hooked right from the start.

Vivid, sharp descriptions. Your characters really came alive through the writing. I wondered at the name Scheherazade, which I thought was very interesting, so I went so far as to look it up. Great stuff!

The ending is very fulfilling. This was a very enjoyable read.