Reviews for The Ghost Writer
blueberrysundae chapter 21 . 12/31/2008
I loved this story, and I can't wait to start on the sequel. It's very hard to find a well-planned mystery story online, but yours is absolutely brilliant! There were enough twists and turns to keep me glued to the screen, but they weren't so absurd or unexpected that they took anything away from the plot. Well done!
vinny2 chapter 4 . 12/30/2008
Your story has been quite a roller coaster since the beginning. First, I'm exited at the trial, then I'm bored at his house, then I'm exited during his dream, then I'm bored when Nadiya comes over, then I'm exited again when he has the dream, then I'm brought back down again. It's actually keeping me quite interested. The pace is pretty jumpy. When Hale is in the zone, it's intense, but when Nadiya opens her mouth, it's brought back down to quite a boring reality.

Maybe I've read this chapter more than once, but isn't thins the third time that she's made tea? Not that it's important, just wondering that if it is, where she got all that tea.

Nadiya's changed a little bit since sh first stopped over. She was insistent on Hale reaching the deadline, but now she seems to care about his mental state. Then, of course, she has to drive. She's interesting. I like her.

The actually plot part here. The dream at the beginning is more of an elaboration of what he felt previously. The part when I felt something new and exiting happened is when he called the police-specifically, Elizabeth Olsen. A lot of people would stop halfway here, but it's good to see this go one until a comfortable ending is reached, not just some random place.

I like you. I like your writings. I like your stories. I like Hale. I like everything. As always it's a very enjoyable read. I will be back to experience more of Hale's wonderful adventures.
Dot Cubed chapter 2 . 12/24/2008
Oh Hale Marcum, how I have missed you. No seriously, I love the guy so much. Even when he's having dreams about murders that probably happened; I cringed at the part where he was describing the murder at the auditorium (sounds like an Agatha Christie title, haha); the part where the murderer licked the blood off his thumb was just so gross. I did like the part about how the third blow came unplanned, not because I have a thing for beating people's heads in, but because it seemed like what would happen in an actual serial killer situation. You got into the mind of a killer, if that makes any sense.

Poor Hale, though. He's just not having a very good day, is he?

I like the way you segued (I think that's a word) into introducing us to Hale's sister; where he thinks the victim is her, so he calls her. Nice touch. I also really like Bailey too and their relationship really seems siblingish, if that makes any sense.

Gotta say, I love Nadiya and her absolutely bluntness about everything. She is not leaving until she gets her manuscript. Hee. Again, poor Hale! :)

Can't wait to read more!
Mayo on toast chapter 2 . 12/16/2008
From what I've read so far, this is great. You've got a great plot complimented by both your character and your writing style, and I will definitely be reading on.

"The computer in on; it always is" Meant to be is, I think. Other than that, nothing else to comment on.
SuzannaR chapter 3 . 12/15/2008
Review Game Dept

Characters

Hale's character is perfectly done. He seems like a real person, I can understand how he reacts in certain situations and how he would think before he does it. He's totally believable.

Nadiya's character is good too. She is realistic though I question her motives for coming to see him!

Relationship

The relationship between Hale and Nadiya is interesting. She's his editor but it seems that she has a personal interest in him and his work too. There is a bit of tension I think between them which is nice to see.

Writing

Seriously I think your writing is amazing. The descriptions of him in the shower and the face that appears are so realistic that they're creepy. The parts where he forces himself to breathe and continue bathing, to try to appear normal, or when he spoke in the shower trying to instill confidence in his voice though no one else was there; that was so realistic and believebale. I ve done that myself when afraid.

Enjoyment

Obviously I really enjoyed reading this. It s original and well written. I ve read published books that were not as good as this.

Great job,

SuzannaR chapter 2 . 12/14/2008
Wow.

Your writing is really so vivid. It s easy to visualize Hale sitting all crumpled at his computer. I think that you know his character very well...I didn't see a single thing in this chapter that didn't ring true.

I love the idea of his psychic writing/visions. It's interesting/original.

The editor Nadiya sounds like a cool character too. She reminds me of a battleax in a short skirt :) I know her sort.

Really this is so well written. You should try to get it published!

AlexSanguine chapter 1 . 12/13/2008
Oh, wow. For a Prologue this got me hooked! I felt like I was reading a true novel. You should probably get this baby published! I'm going to read the rest now! I love Marcum, and I already feel aggravation with the lawyer trying to trap him. This is real story telling at its best! I would so buy this if I saw it on a shelf! Even the short summary got me interested!
Dot Cubed chapter 1 . 12/6/2008
I've wanted to read this for awhile-I feel like I've read the beginning sentences at least seven times by now, but I've never gotten around to reading it. And I have just got to say that I absolutely LOVE this, and I am so glad that I actually parked my butt down and read the prologue.

Hale is such an amazing character, seriously. I laughed at the part where he was confronting Ms. Gleeson about her number -"move your thumb!" (:D) Dude, the guy's just so cool. I love him. And I'm also very intrigued by his psychic powers. I like the way you set them up in here; to Hale, they just exist, and he doesn't really need to explain anything to the reader. There's not in depth explanation of it-I like the part where he just concentrates to learn the numbers and that's it. Nothing flashy.

I also love the humor you put in this-Hale's dry comments amuse me so much, like the part where he mentioned Joel's had to stand up and down all day.

Also, I like how seamlessly the murder mystery is woven in. I have the feeling this is not the last time we're going to hear about Tommy Martin. I can't wait to read more!
october lies chapter 21 . 11/25/2008
oh my god, i just read this entire thing and it was fucking AMAZING! i love this! you wrote this so well, it was inCREDible.
Carus chapter 1 . 11/25/2008
I like the way that this story dives straight into the action. It made me want to keep reading, and I'm going to as soon as I finish writing this, haha ]

I thought that the ending bit, about the 'test' was a bit unrealistic, as I didn't think that a judge would let it go on for so long. But then that's what artistic license is for, right?

I also liked the way you portrayed it as if it was a drama show on TV. It really shows us into the main character's mind -[

-Amy
vinny2 chapter 3 . 11/23/2008
Oh that Hale. He's so coy and mischievous. I believe my earlier perception of him is most actuate. He's self-centered and an introvert, but interesting one that. I love to see Nadiya act as his foil.

I like your descriptions so very much. Brainstorming. I've always hated the notion, but now I have a good visual idea of why I should hate it so much. Poor characters. I hope they have a think newspaper.

What else can I say? I can't really say much about the plot. This chapter didn't advance the plot too much, but we did get that glimpse in the mirror that no one is really 100% sure what that's about, but Hale's pretty sure. However, this chapter delved into out two main characters a little bit more, and I fee like I understand them a bit better than I did before.

Have I enjoyed what I've read so far. Absolutely. This is a well-written story from what I've read so far. I promise you I will read more in the future. Bye-bye for now, though!
vinny2 chapter 2 . 11/23/2008
I know somebody like Nadiya. Actually, I know a lot of people like Nadiya. One of which actually threatened to guard my bedroom door until I gave her what she wanted. But that's a different story for a different day. The sotry right now is the interesting characters that have been pretsented. Nadiya is a wonderful transution. It's not rushed. It's not forced. And I have a keen picture of what she looked like. Hale's sister as well.

Hale doesn't just talk to himself in his mind. It seems more like he's arguing with himself. He seemed too reserved to argue with others, so he's content enough with going back-and-forth with himself. It's very interesting and it's written well.

I always have to mention this if I see it. No spelling or grammar errors! Yeah! (You wouldn't believe how painful it is to read a story riddled with errors, mine for example before I started checking for errors before uploading.)

Oh, and he had a dream. Well, he'll just have to get back to that later, won't he. He has to finish that story first. But he can't find the damn ending! Two birds. One stone.
vinny2 chapter 1 . 11/23/2008
Oh my God, I love that lawyer so much. She is a freakin' genius. If she didn't try to trip him up on the number thing, I think this day would have ended in her favor. Some people get on a roll and think they're unstoppable. It takes someone like Hale Marcum to prove them otherwise.

As for Hale, he's a nice character so far as I know him. He has his own internal personality that could almost be interpreted as self-absorption. That all depends on how well he works with others and so far I've only seen him work against some one. Nicely done, though.

This prologue was mostly dialog, so I have to mention that. I was great. Some stories I read don't know how to write good continuous dialog. (Some are scared to write too much dialog, which hurts them in the end.) Here, something new is added at every word and I didn't feel like skipping down a bit t get to the point. Very good start.

All in all, it was a very entertaining prologue. Well, minus the dead boy. Cute "parlor trick", too. A little piece of the plot that I didn't see coming.
LaFarfalla chapter 1 . 11/11/2008
Wow. Your prologue absolutely hooked me in. You have a very succinct writing style. You don't labor over the details or dwell too long in the descriptions. It's great, especially for the first person point of view.

I'm interested that you chose to write this story in the present tense. I suppose that adds to the suspense, since it's a mystery and all.

Your idea is very original. Your characterization is excellent. I could totally see this story being on the shelves of bookstores. I will definately be back to read the whole thing!
SuzannaR chapter 1 . 11/11/2008
Review Game: Depth

Opening: Very good opening...it certainly hooks the reader and makes them want to continue reader. I especially found the line "Tommy told me" interesting. It took me a sec to figure out that he meant the victim told him which opens up a whole lot of possibilities.

Plot: Very interesting so far. This is one type of storyline that has not been overdone to death. I think it sounds a bit like that tv show Medium (which I liked very much). The only negative about this is that the rest of the story is probably quite predictable. I envision that the story will go back in time to when he got the vision and how he found the murderer. Very interesting to read still though.

Dialogue: I have to say that I found your dialogue very realistic and good. It flows well and sounds natural. To me it sounds like an actual court case. Good Job there.

Characters: You did a good job with Hale. I can picture him more for his personality than how he looks. I think it s very good that you don t give a detailed description of his appearance, at least not right away. For me it s better that I draw my own picture of how he looks.

Your characterization of the DA is also excelent (again of her personality). I see her as a shark lol!

Enjoyment:

I quite enjoyed reading your story. Honestly I am an impatient girl and tend to shy away from reviewing stories that are long. Yours however covers a topic that I find interesting and is well writen so I will be reading the whole thing.

195 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 .. Last Next »