Reviews for Blessing in Disguise
EnamoradaConDios chapter 1 . 4/10/2009
Really great story! I would have liked to have read a little bit more about the tough times, though, after the building burned down; it seemed kind of rushed through those parts. But otherwise it was really well-written. Great testimony to how God works in our pain for His glory.
Esther Jade chapter 1 . 4/28/2008
Oh, that was heart-wrenching. I got a bit of a sniffle at the the end. It was a good story!

You build sympathy really well. It upset me when I realised their home was gone. You communicated it in such a subtle way.

One thing I found a little bit confusing was how old Luke was. The bit with him nagging at the beginning made him sound quite young but other parts made him sound older. I would have liked a little more clarity there.

Minor points:

but mom - Should start with a capital letter.

He wasn’t a bad kid, he was spoiled. - That comma is creating a comma splice. I would recommend changing it to a semi-colon.

He rode the school bus, she rode public transportation. - Again, comma splice. I would change to a semi-colon.

If she skipped lunch she could get an extra half-hour pay and she could save the money that she would’ve spent on food. - Would that be legal? I know lots of places it wouldn't be, where lunch is mandatory.

had no where to live - "Nowhere" is one word.
Mary Chrys chapter 1 . 4/24/2008
WINNER'S REVIEW FOR RM!

Wow, that was awesome. I like how the fire kind of changed Luke into a new person, and how great he was to his mom after, because it's kind of a hopeful thing. If you are understanding what I just said. However, I don't like how you never mention how old Luke is, because it could give some more perspective on his personality if we knew. Like, if he was eight or fourteen, because if he were older, like a teenager, the change would have a bigger impact. Anyway, congratulations on being a winner!
stardustfaery chapter 1 . 4/21/2008
Aw, that's really sweet. :) It could have had a bit more detail but that might have ruined it. Good job.
Menginpeh chapter 1 . 3/29/2008
Good job. Enjoyed the story. Motherhood is definitely a hard job, but a rewarding one. There have been so many times that I have been concerned about whether my children were developing the positive character traits, only to have someone come up and compliment them on their good behavior. It is encouraging.
vanilla skyy chapter 1 . 3/23/2008
Aw-w-w... and just in time for Easter too! :)

"She continued stirring the noodles, and again wondered how Luke could turn two consonants and one vowel into an eight syllable word."

Great line!

It seems there are some extra, duplicate words (“Absolutely not) at the very beginning that shouldn't be there. And I was thinking the word "After" should start this sentence: "Weeks of being shuffled in and out of shelters they landed in a place for single mothers."

Other than that, well, a very touching, sweet, faith-filled, encouraging one-shot. “Are you sure that’s Luke?” That's so great! It reminds me to be careful what I ask for though, as the way it comes might be more difficult than I imagined. But then, that would just be a blessing in disguise, wouldn't it? Great job!
Leigh Danington chapter 1 . 3/22/2008
aww this is so sweet! u need 2 continue this or atleast rite a sequel! plz?
Midnight Adrenaline chapter 1 . 3/22/2008
Sad, but I like the ending.