Reviews for Getting Heated
freak-joy-spastic chapter 5 . 1/21/2011
This is an interesting little nugget of idea. It never really reaches any main idea, but comes across as more of just some peaked at segment of somebodies life. Which is interesting in it's own rights. Over all, I approve. I look forward to checking out the rest of your stories, I took a peak and I got to say, it looks good. PS: If you want to read a really good story and don't mind a hint of -slash- within the construct of the plot, then you should deffinitly check out 'Iron Butterfly' by mousegirl05. You can find her in the favorite authors list on my profile.
freak-joy-spastic chapter 2 . 1/20/2011
LOL! All significant appendages raised? (sniggers and glances downward with eyebrow raised)(even though I don't have those parts) Are you sure you want all of them raised? lol.
Insomnia Breeds Insanity chapter 5 . 12/23/2009
Very amusing. I like this. The good professor strikes me as somebody I would like to meet. Preferably if he were human, because my folks might freak if I were to start chatting with a talking wolf.
Spirit of the Shrine chapter 1 . 5/23/2009
This is really different, I must admit. I'll continue to read at a later time, which I will, so look out for more reviews from me.
InkieMcgee chapter 5 . 3/1/2009
gosh, i usually don't read fantasy at all, but this was too funny to stop reading! your writing is so engaging! i'm a little sad the story ended!
WhenceComethThisBoredom chapter 5 . 10/17/2008
first let me say that's an amazing first paragraph. AMAZING.

second, I have found a typo. "...is knocking for admission to the back of his heat." I presume you intended "head".

third, sleep is overrated.

fourth, I like how he's just slacking off, planning to sleep, wake up early and finish his homework, and if he doesn't finish, to ask for an extension. I have many, MANY friends who had this as their modus operandi in every class. oh, oh. don't they know it's better to stay up late finishing it and then wake up when you normally do? that way you're not depending on the caprice of one's professor's extension-granting tendencies, and anyhow it's always harder to wake up early than to go to bed late. and if you find you've underestimated the time it will take to complete your assignment, well, then you can always pull an all-nighter. so. there.

also, they have cheerleaders in post-apocalyptic, magic-infused wherever-this-is? dude.

ah. cheerleaders but no electricity. interesting.

this whole thing is rather tongue-in-cheek, ain't it? ...not that that's a bad thing. quite the contrary, indeed. (to which the author responds, "It took you this long to realise that? About the tongue-in-cheek thing, I mean?" ...Yes, yes, I know. But I say everything I think when I review, so... well, so there. :P)

P.S. Chaz is a total douchebag name.

Ha, ha. What a wonderful story. I think they're in England? Or New England? Or, rather, what once was... yeah. Anyhow. I am going to go read the sequel now, hoping for more background on your very imaginative friend's RPG world, and also hoping for the archaeology you have (sort of) promised here, and then I'm going to read and review everything else you have posted up here. ...And then I'll probably beg you to come back and finish beta'ing for me. But not 'til then, when I will no longer feel bad and naggy and all that. So you have nothing to worry about for, like, a year or however long it takes me. So. There.

And, just so you know, I really did like the story. I'm not trying to brown-nose with a view to the future mentioned in the paragraph preceding. I owe it to you to tell you if I dislike something, and oh, believe me, I will, when I find such a thing. And now this discussion has gone on far too long and I'm going to shut up now.
WhenceComethThisBoredom chapter 4 . 10/15/2008
I like the "one running, the other ringing".

So, okay, there are full animals as well as were-animals, and magic has something to do with it, and, uh... uh...

ha ha. werewolf librarian. oh man, you are so far beyond cliches. I love it. And I'm enjoying it so much I can hardly take the time out to review. Now THAT'S a real mark of quality. Also, I'm reading this instead of going to bed so I don't fall asleep at the wheel on the way to work tomorrow, and so if I die, you, my friend, if you yourself are actually still alive, will be responsible.

I will say, though, that the temporal transition between chs 2 and 3 is not so clear. Several of the things Betty said, I was thinking, "When did that happen?"
WhenceComethThisBoredom chapter 3 . 10/15/2008
So... they can change between part-animal and all-human forms? And two part-animals can have a human kids? I am intrigued and a little confused, but I'm sure all will be explained in time.

I did find a typo. "They lawmen took notice, but we weren’t stupid..." I'm presuming the "they" is a typo and not diction, since Colt only does it the one time.

Also, it took me a moment to realise that "Uni" was short for university. Oh, oh, silly me.

However, I shan't leave a longer review because I am impatient to get to the next chapter. So.
WhenceComethThisBoredom chapter 2 . 10/9/2008
Three paragraphs in and already I love Colt. This is why: "it won’t put a bullet in itself" "I wasn’t giving myself the privilege of buying a new hat" "Damn, but I can be stylish". This narrator definitely has a personality, and while Rasta struck me as rather moody, Colt is far from. Brusque, perhaps, but energetic.

I'm so sorry I thought Rasta was a werewolf. I had only read the synopsis, you see, and not closely. But you seriously weren't kidding, and this is so much better. And I had to look up therianthropic, but it meant what I thought, and I'm trying to imagine what a man-moose (or weremoose, if you will, and that IS a proper usage, thank you) would look like. Terrifying, I imagine.

So, now I understand better what Rasta meant when he said monkeys got all mixed up. Though I cringe to think they got mixed with mosquitos and meese.

Now, Rasta, being an anthropologist, really ought to get his facts straight: humans are closer to apes than monkeys, after all. He needn't be so prejudice. Hmph. I really do like the description of Colt's walk, though.

Ha ha, "swideling".

"slipping through the fugue of tobacco and cheap cologne" : fugue! what a lovely word! what a fine usage!

I have to say, I don't agree that the hatch is safe simply because it's lit. I don't think Rasta should be going down there, personally. This could very well be a trap.

Ha, Lydia talks a bit like Dr Manhattan in Watchmen: "You'll do this, then I'll do such and such", and so on. Though less majestically.

"looking AS confused as a canine can", perhaps?

I like this world more and more the more I read it. I'm glad there's a sequel to this.

I had to look up thaumaturgically too. So... their drinking water's impregnated with magic or miracle-juice or something? ...How? Also, I'm thinking the unstable zones have something to do with the human/animal hybrids.

Ah, so they do still have electricity. Also, how did she build the gun so fast? Perhaps she started as soon as she knew he'd be coming by, so she could have it ready in advance. Ha ha. This story is great.

Ripping up the floorboards, isn't that a bit overkill? Why not just open the trapdoor?

I like how the "hands up" has been modified to account for the variety of person now existing.

Oh man. I'm sorry I'm not in a more critical mood, but I'm enjoying this much to see its flaws. Maybe there aren't any.

Now, before I go, you may be wondering why I suddenly showed up here. Well, I was reading through some old emails and found some of your reviews, and then I felt really bad because I never actually reviewed anything of yours, so I decided I would, and now I'm very glad I did. As McArthur said in the Philippines, "I shall return."
WhenceComethThisBoredom chapter 1 . 10/9/2008
Pretend like you don't remember me.

You have a typo: "so (he) kills a deer".

I did get a little confused at "planting bits of fabric in the ground", but then I realised you meant flags and laughed at myself. This is an intelligent discussion, you know? It requires brain work, unlike much of ficpress. This is not a bad thing. And the pun with "get heated" (from "get a heater", right?), I like that a lot. Rap references are so nice. Also "find ourselves a piece" is wordplay, too. This whole paragraph just strikes me as terribly clever.

Now, at this point, the full stop, I'm thinking, This is in the future and humans blew themselves up or something and are either very rare or nonexistent. So now we'll see if I'm right.

Wow. This is a crazy story. Like, seriously. On that note, I have always wondered why ghosts bother drinking booze if it just falls through them. They do it in movies all the time. Also I like that Rasta waves with his tail.

How does one get "Bergeorge" from "Billy-Ray Jimmy-Earl Danny-Jones"?

A few limbs? As in, like arms and legs independent of a torso? Like the hand in Addams Family? This just gets crazier and crazier. This is not a bad thing.

Aha! And now I understand the title of the story!

This is great! It must have been wonderful fun to write, too, and it's so imaginative. You've got the world down pat. Also, I hope you explain the talking thing more, cuz, you know, just saying it's "one of those little passive magics" is kind of a cop out.
Peskypiskie chapter 5 . 9/13/2008
This was really awesome. The little quirks in your writing style make the story all the more hilarious and the idea was ingenious.
deletethisaccountplease9 chapter 1 . 4/12/2008
Oh wow... this story is SO GOOD! I hope it isnt just a one-shot. The premise is amazing, and your writing is spectacular! I love how you make everything flow so easily, and make it sound so interesting! :) Keep up the amazing work!

Maximus