Reviews for The Truth About Teachers
GrannyP chapter 1 . 3/1/2009
Okay, so, as a specialized "teacher" of sorts, the title of this stood out to me and I just had to check it out. Now I have to say that I am all paranoid that I am not doing my job properly. But no, maybe I am. But it definitely opens my eyes to what is expected of me from the person on the receiving end of the information!

Have you shared this with any teachers? Just curious.

Anyway, it's nice to see that you are actually wanting to learn information and expect teachers to teach in an appropriate way. (As opposed to some students just want to do nothing and get As.) So, yes, nice essay!
fairies and snapple chapter 1 . 1/21/2009
Honestly, the thing that touched me about this (and yes, I have been touched) is that you have teachers you care enough about to write why they're good. That's amazing. I (theoretically) go to a good school, and this year I only have two teachers who I consider good teachers. Everything you said is so true, and I completely agree that there's a huge difference between harsh and bad teaching. The Time article sounds interesting.

Good thoughts, I guess is what I'm trying to say.
Narq chapter 1 . 11/1/2008
I agree with you; but somehow, i reckon that harsh teachers are better than slack teachers personal comment.

Narq.
ahemmy chapter 1 . 8/10/2008
I agree with all of it. The job of teacher should be a tough position to be selected for and should make much more money than what it currently does.

This piece reminds me of the difference between my English teachers during my junior and senior year of high school.

My AP English Language teacher (11th grade) was a horrible teacher- always judging and grading according to favoritism. Her and I argued all the time about my writing.

My AP English Literature teacher (12th grade) was the best teacher I have ever had. She embraced everyone for who they are and how they write. Her patience and intelligence continues to awe me.

For so young, you have a good perspective on such matters as teaching. Your writing will only improve as you age.
Bazooka Joy chapter 1 . 4/22/2008
As usual, I don't pay much attention to errors such as mistakes in constructing paragraphs and whatever you were called out on, I mainly focused on the message you were trying to get across. For a high school freshman (not trying to look down on you in any way) you pretty are perceptive about such matters. I admit I have also wondered why some teachers chose that profession if they didn't seem too enthused about what they were doing. Like, "did they choose to become teachers because they didn't know what else to do?" Anyway, I'm rambling. I try to keep in mind that these people are human just like us...no matter how much we think otherwise. Now that I'm in college I have a little bit more respect for my instructors...probably because they've gone through several more years of school so they MUST take pride in what they do...and here I go rambling again. Don't mean to make this sound like a lecture...eh. Nice essay.
No Longer An Account chapter 1 . 4/15/2008
Excellent essay; I must say I really agree. And it was really well-written (although you could stand to proof-read a little more). Keep up the good work.
Realilly chapter 1 . 4/13/2008
"over what I felt was terrible decisions and explanations."

Change: "over what I felt WERE..."

"he tells Dill that when he grows up that he’ll won’t cry anymore"

Change: "he tells Dill that when he grows up he won't cry anymore" {Change structure too; I didn't do it here but it almost makes you think Adolphus is saying when he grows up he won't cry anymore, rather than him meaning that in regards to Dill}

I like this. I have a lot of similar notions towards teachers. I myself haven't had any of those "pull-out-your-hair" nasty teachers, but I have heard horror stories. A boy I know asks his teachers if they like their job.

I felt terrible for my friend, a fellow Geom student like myself (and you) who got a D on a test she felt she didn't deserve because she was sick on the testing day but made herself come to school. As she choked and sobbed, she described her hatred for her teacher (also mine) because she didn't understand any of the material and the teacher doesn't explain things well. However, I got an A on that test...so clearly the sickness either dulled her thinking a bit or she should have gone in for help. I have seen that teacher explain things in different ways to help students, and while she's not the clearest and easiest to understand sometimes, she does try. Also, my friend should have sought help from the other 3 Geom teachers. I feel sad that because of her laziness or shyness (I'm not sure of the reason, I didn't ask about it) she didn't understand any material and thus got such a low grade.

-Realilly

P.S. Great job! :D
Aucifer13 chapter 1 . 4/12/2008
Well written, and ya teachers tend to be doing the profession juz for the sake of keeping it or salary? most tend to forget that the teachers' job is not just to teach, but also to nurture. Passion is indeed most important in this profession and the love of the work itself and towards students are essential to promote future leaders of tomorrow. Lastly, if only teachers think out of the box and not get resented for it

Regards,