Reviews for Prose Mistakes that Amateurs Make
insane in the brain chapter 1 . 11/9/2008
This is truly helpful and excellent, thank you for writing it! :)
Error-Author chapter 1 . 9/14/2008
Thank you yet again. You're full of helpful information, aren't you?

My thanks :)
TheBeautyOfTheGrave chapter 1 . 8/9/2008
Ah, you give some very good advice, I thank you (or should I say I almost thank you :P)

I love the way you have written this as well, a very witty way to get your point across. The bit about scattering limbs deliberately and methodically made me cry with laughter

Thanks for the advice, it is very much appreciated, valued and I will certainly keep it in mind.

God Bless

Holli x
ADSpencer chapter 1 . 7/30/2008
Very interesting essay.

Oh, I know my sins:

"2. Quantifiers."

"4. The –ing Mistake."

"15. Words like ‘just’, ‘even’ or ‘almost’ when used like ‘He just stood there’"

Granted, I don't commit these writing sins as often, but I find them in my fiction.

This amused me: "3. ‘At random’. In a real, published book (Robert Newcomb’s ‘The Fifth Sorceress’) I found the sentence ‘severed limbs were scattered at random’."
Written chapter 1 . 7/25/2008
I swear I'm not a crazy stalker or anything, but I love you. especially this:

[but because of the inference that somehow, somewhere, there are severed limbs being scattered deliberately and methodically.]

the sad thing is, no matter how many times these simple things are pointed out to me, I go and do it again later. AS YOU MIGHT HAVE NOTICED.

Er. Caps lock. Sorry.

I hope you keep on writing and editing. You're excellent.
Narc chapter 1 . 6/1/2008
This is a nice, straightforward guide to some of the most common problems. I think most of these things every writer has been guilty of at one point in their development (or still are).
Kasita Aco chapter 1 . 5/25/2008
Wow, i was searching through forums, ran across your authors page, and the title really caught my eye. I find it unusual that someone would write something like this, but knowing that no matter how skilled you are, you can still learn something new (and boy do i need to learn).

I definitly agre with you. I've made most of those mistakes in the past, and some I made but didn't really think about at the time. This is very helpful for someone like me who doesn't really have anyone to proof their/my work.

Thanks for the eye opening insight ot better writing.
moongazer7 chapter 1 . 5/18/2008
Well, I disagree in a lot of these. I also become a good write by mistakes as well, but this isn’t always everyone’s formula. If they want a teen as a protagonist or an antagonist, why not? That’s a little unfair there. I seen many good stories with teens, children, or babies as the antagonist. It’s as good , sometimes better, it really just depends on the writer themselves. I agree with a couple, but the rest, not so much.
fatbird33 chapter 1 . 5/18/2008
ahh yes. i throughly enjoyed 6.5. and 12, well, i think we've all suffered through that one (running!)AHH!H!H!
Equilibrium chapter 1 . 5/18/2008
Well, I found the advice you gave me in your review extremely accurate, so I thought I'd check this out... and I'm SO not disappointed. I like the humour you scattered through this, especially "Otherwise, they don’t make the reader feel excited, they make you sound sugar-high." And... oh, I think I make that preposition mistake a lot. *wince*

This little thing really made me smile. I guess it's because I see the exact sort of things you point out in my own work and on FP every day. Thanks for the tips. They really help.
Justin Carlton chapter 1 . 5/15/2008
Great stuff, this. I like the way you think, seriously.

The bit about the exclamation points was so freaking true. The use of unnecessary punctuation is an all-too-common writing flaw that I can't stand.
half-sketched.staccatos chapter 1 . 5/15/2008
konban wa

Ah, I agree with you one hundred percent... of course, I often make similar mistakes, I'm sure. I love how you incorporated your lovely sense of humor into the essay as well:

"It seems this is to assure the reader they are not walking backwards."

"Every so oftne I saw a guy's head being ripped off."

"...but because of the inference that somehow, somewhere there are severed limbs being scattered deliberately and methodically."

For number five - Wrong Word - don't forget college and collage. And loose and lose, of course. That drives me insane. I never knew that those were so difficult to grasp, ESPECIALLY collage and college. They SOUND different! You can tell which word has which letter!

8. You know, I think I hate the word "evilly." It just should NOT be a word. Does that sound like a word? How do you pronounce it when you already pronounce the "l" in evil? Evil-ly? It's just such an ugly word. :P

Come to think of it, though, I don't know if I completely agree with you on that one. Sure, don't spoonfeed the reader... but that doesn't mean you have to completely wipe this out of your stories. I'll write "She gave a sinister chuckle" or something of the sort.

11. You know what cliché bothers me? "He felt as if the whole world rested on his shoulders." I don't know why that more than any other, but I can tell you that whenever I read it I get turned off of the story somewhat. *shrug*

Hm, I think this ends a bit abruptly, though I did love what I read. Again, love your sense of humor. :D

Ha det

-Shan-
Amertie chapter 1 . 5/15/2008
You have a wonderful sense of humor. "What is 'almost quickly?'" was probably my favorite.

I hope I'll see less stories with 'sugar-high' writers. The exclamation points really ruin a story.

Thanks for writing this.
Rose Warne chapter 1 . 5/15/2008
He he. I'm noticing a lot of my writing traits in this... especially #4 and #12! And #3? Classic! The dramatic build up really made me laugh. Thank you. You probably have helped amateurs like me everywhere recognize their symptoms and give them a smile too.
29 | « Prev Page 1 2