Reviews for On Feminism
Roze chapter 1 . 12/16/2012
Bravo. I think you summed up some of my annoyance with modern feminism quite nicely.
Time Tinker chapter 1 . 6/9/2012
Where to begin...PAlright, let me begin by saying who you're talking about are radical feminists. Like any political group there are radicals and I don't think it's fair, to take them all in one group.P Wouldn't equal pay be nice? P Really. Okay, I am angry at radical anything, Democrat, Green, Feminist. I'm angry at people, who won't change alright. I get it, but to say that every feminist is like this, really isn't fair.P Bras are made... I laughed at that. Again, that's a radical view. P History lesson, early on, some of the biggest feminists, were MEN. Yes, people of the MALE VARIETY.
Queen of the Shadylands chapter 1 . 8/1/2008
This is just how I feel though I must point out that I have never met any modern feminists and the image I have is built from TV and South Park which isn't a good model to base it on. Oh and I agree with the shaving point though that's just my taste, I'm not keen on hairy legs on men either.
Serom Kim chapter 1 . 4/16/2007
I agree with you on most parts of this essay. Feminism has gone too far in my opinion as well, and I think that it's starting to become more a "special treatment" for women.

The only thing I really had a problem with were the part about the bras and the shaving legs part. Not that I see bras and shaving legs as something that's repressive, but I don't think that you should have to wear a bra if you don't want to, don't care, or if you think it's too uncomfortable. As for the shaving legs thing, if I wear long pants all year round and you never see them, what does it matter to you? And if you don't like them, don't look at my legs! Besides, I'm not fond of accidentally cutting myself every time I try to shave.

Aside from those two points, it was a good essay.
Nonymous chapter 1 . 9/15/2006
All right, I know this was based on opinions but I have to give mine too:

"I see and hear about a lot of feminists out there that group themselves just like elephants around a water hole" -that is a False Analogy. You cannot compare feminists with elephants because 1. People are different from elephants and 2. people do not crowd over waterholes.

"They exist, you know, so how about welcoming them into your ranks?" -that is a Leading/Loaded Question. You cannot just assume that every women feminist in the world has disapproved of men feminists and living them out of 'the circle'.

"You’ve become so anti-male that you attack any alleged sign of male chauvinism the way a bulldog attacks a Chihuahua." -again, Fasle Analogy.

"a man opens a door for you, or pulls out your chair in a restaurant, he isn’t doing it because he thinks you’re incapable. He’s being freaking polite, okay?" -Hasty Generalization. Just because you know some women who hate it when men do that does not mean ALL women are like that.

But overall,it's still an interesting essay and I got to see someone else's side on why they don't like feminism.
noneyouknow chapter 1 . 9/18/2005
This is just too much of a generalization for me not to of all, feminists are a good thing, although radicals of any kind are bad, but you can't let the radicals represent the whole group. There is still A LOT of inequality left in society and someone has to be the one to try to change it. Women still get paid less, promoted less and treated like inferiors by a chunk of society, and most feminists are about changing that. Just because a few are out there trying to FIND something to fight about does NOT mean that is what the majority is about. You are only adding to our society's problems by calling someone crazy when they want equality.

"I myself have never been able to find our precisely what feminism is: I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat."-Rebecca West(You'll probably have to look the quote up, since all of your "arguments" have obviously come from impressions and not actual research or facts.)
ValkyrieRavenfeather chapter 1 . 9/14/2005
I laughed at the "bras were made to keep your boobs from sagging" part. I agree with you...although I don't think a girl should have to shave her legs if a guy doesn't. Actually, I think guys would look better if they DID shave their legs...of course, I'm bi so maybe it's just that I prefer girls' legs...
RomanceBabe chapter 1 . 7/23/2005
ok, not all feminists are huge men hating things! that's not true. and yes, there are male feminists out there, but u can't expect the ladies to just go off and welcome them in? maybe they've been hurt by men and that's their liltle way of defending themselves! but not all feminists are like that! and, uh, the whole shaving thing? leave them be. they'll shave if they wanna, and ur saying that not shaving is this huge crime thing! well, get over it, and let live.
a lil black dress chapter 1 . 1/5/2005
Terrible. This rant couldn't be more wrong. You accuse of all feminists of being "pig-headed idiots you hate men."

This is not true. There IS a difference between a feminist and nazi-feminists. You are being pig-headed yourself that you believe ALL feminists "scream and yell" or treat men like shit. It means equality.
SomeRandomWriter chapter 1 . 10/4/2004
Pretty good... i found it quite funny at the end...
but its all so true, nice of you to point it out...
im not a feminist myself though
ciao
Sunflower Sarah chapter 1 . 9/20/2004
So true!
Ethelflaed chapter 1 . 3/27/2004
About the job discrimination; even that isn't much of a problem (at least, in the States). Actually, it's worrying me a bit; I want to be a professor, you see. But women (kudos for making fun of "womyn"!) can get things at a lower level than others because colleges/schools/etc, are afraid of being called chauvinist pigs.
One thing that you should have pointed out was the horrible slaughter of history that is going on. I mean, it's getting rather stupid. One textbook that I know of devotes pages to the "discrimination against women in Ancient Greece", then skips over six hundred years of English history-the Anglo-Saxon period-with about two sentences. One being the required mantra about Alfred the Great, the other about the Norman Conquest.
What makes this so ironic is the relative equality women _had_ in Anglo-Saxon England. They could be landowners, rulers, and even in very rare cases, they were fighters. (Such as my pen name, which is actually the only case I know. ;;) And I _like_ Alfred the Great...
The hypocrisy is just sickening. Because, ya know, feminists are only interested in history if they can either point at the Evil!Chauvinist!World, or to claim that the world started out as female-dominated.
_UU
Okay, I'll be quiet now... But thanks for writing this. After surfing through tons of vitriolic trash, this is quite a relief.
-Ethelflaed-
Forest Passant chapter 1 . 8/13/2003
*laughs* i'm a militant feminist... well as militant as a pacifist can get neways... *laughs at herself* but as i'm sure you can tell i don't get offended easily... yeah... and yes i do bash men every chance i get... in the days of in vitro and (soon, maybe) cloning who needs them... just kidding i'm in a weird mood 2day...
neermore chapter 1 . 8/3/2003
I agree!

Thank you for writing this! Now Idon't have to!
PhiloNysh chapter 1 . 7/28/2003
I admit that a lot of the information in the fic was definitely true, but some of it has no factual evidence.

a)The way you portray feminists is very 1900sish. I mean not all feminists will scream and shout. A lot of them have common decency. Not all feminists hang around together. I mean I'm probably the feminisnt, change that 'equalisist' in my group of friends.

b) your point about the Movie was totally uncalled for. First of all, many feminists don't fight over that ( and what has a left-wing party got to do with that, anyway?)Some fight for common political ground, some form as you said, sexual harassment and job discrimination.

c) what is wrong with not shaving? it's simply showing that you don;t care what you look like. If they want to not shave, it is their choice. I meant they do that the freedom of choice, do they not? Not many feminists I know will not shave.

d) No, the female sex has no equality on TV! I mean have you seem those ads that most cvhannels portray. Why is it always a woman who is on the cleaning ads?

Umm, where did your comment about Bra's come from.

I'm not even a strong feminist. And I don't shout and scream and go to protests and be violent.

However i know where you are coming from, and I understand what you are saying. But you musn;t forget that the media only plays on stories about the ideas you just discussed. The idea of an orderly feminist is just not a story for them.

Sorry for this long rant, but I just thought that I would say something. Good on you for standing up and saying it.