Reviews for wallflower
october lies chapter 1 . 9/6/2008
metaphors are your specialty. you're great at them.

"they repainted lips with laughter" is such a great image
aberlemno chapter 1 . 5/19/2008
I love the imagery here. (Desperation does seem to smell of old alcopops and sound like... the bloody Ting Tings. After long enough you don't need to go out to these sort of clubs cos you can play the whole night out in your head. '...And they're going to start bitchslapping... NOW!')

The mannequin image is a good one... I found this book of pictures of old wax models that were used in anatomy classes in the 1700s or some time like that, and all their intestines and organs can be unpacked to look at them but they have very realistic faces as well... And the scary part is that the female ones have all got long styled hair and necklaces on. That mannequin thing kind of reminded me of that, but I'm going to be doing a long poetic rant about my scary wax thingies at some point so I won't do it here.

I love the last couple of lines too, that's a powerful image...
theinfinitebee chapter 1 . 5/19/2008
Here's the review; sorry I forgot last night.

(Oh, what fun ways to avoid note taking during classes!)

I can (as you know) so completely relate to this; it echoes my feelings so well. The inability to be social/social awkwardness/being in a place where you don't believe you belong is something I understand entirely too well. The emotion in this is pumping through the words.

I absolutely love the image of "the swirling tissues of their dresses echoes."

"she/who bends eyelashes down in a curtain call/

to the boombox, saw truth through the narrow lense of self-exclusion." has to be my favourite stanza, along with the second to last line.

"the teenage american dream" just makes me rolls my eyes in disgust at other teenagers, with no substance or depth to their life

Also, in regards to your author's note, despite how appealing it is, please don't become a hermit. Emily Dickinson doesn't suit you too well.

Here if you need me, always.

-Bee.
gklh910 chapter 1 . 5/18/2008
Wow. This is simply breathtaking. Every metaphor you use kind of . . . hits home, I guess. And everything fits together.

Beautiful :)
the lost yarn spinner chapter 1 . 5/18/2008
I can really feel the emotions in this - the discomfort at being in a place where you don't feel that you belong, the "self-exclusion", as you aptly put it, observing the rest of the world from the outside...

My favorite lines:

"like sullied mannequins, they repainted lips with laughter

and reveled as tinny amplifications of the teenage american dream"

Ah, the teenage American Dream: party, and that's it, with no real substance.

The format is slightly different from your norm, but I liked it.

You know where to find me.

-L