Reviews for Letters to Mary McGraw
AlysonSerenaStone chapter 16 . 12/23/2013
Really enjoyable story! I found myself having to sit down and read this because I just had to know what was going to happen! I'm glad they were able to get together. I enjoyed reading James's homecoming and, yes, he did deserve to be slapped. I also thought that James was going to die and was very pleased to read that he didn't. Well worth the read!
AlysonSerenaStone chapter 1 . 12/16/2013
Great start! I thought you did a wonderful job with this opening chapter. I have been wanting to read this for a long time and I am now just getting the chance to do so. I think you captured your characters perfectly. I can't wait to read more!
Lily806 chapter 16 . 11/23/2013
I'm in tears after reading this story...
xkcbby chapter 16 . 7/20/2013
This story is so beautiful! I was prepared to cry...darn you. But you made up for my near emotional wreck at the end. The way you reintroduced James back into Mary's life was perfect! I didn't expect it at all. I was actually nervous because it was the last chapter, and he still hadn't come back. I love Mary's spirit and James' stern, stubborn, loving character (I'm not even sure that's how it should be described). The letters made me smile, and I found myself wanting a guy like James haha!
Character development was great, even in the supporting characters. I was hesitant to read this seeing that the length was relatively short (I veer towards longer stories), but this was seriously amazing, and I am so glad to have read it.
I am at the stage of nearly giving up on fp because finding actually good stories are such a hassle, and I am picky as hell. Bravo to you.
Preposterous chapter 16 . 1/15/2013
Awww, for the past few chapters I really believed that James really could be dead. I'm glad everything worked out. Great story!
Preposterous chapter 3 . 1/14/2013
Vanderbilt, eh? Is Laura old money then (well, probably new money during that time)? I ilke how there's actual tidbits from history incorporated in this.
Preposterous chapter 2 . 1/14/2013
Good historical fictions are a rare find on fiction press, but I really think I found one. :0) Awesome story.
Daily Beauty chapter 16 . 12/27/2012
was able to finish reading this now. what a story! it really made me go "awwwwww that's so sweet". i am glad you wrote this with a happpppy ending. continue writing! :)
Aspired Writer chapter 16 . 12/25/2012
Oh my f**king god, that was absolutely beautiful. I can't even begin to describe in words how much I loved this story and how different and unique it is. I love James and Mary and their story, and how it all ended.
I cried, without a doubt. I was so scared it wasn't going to turn out the way I wanted, but luckily that wasn't the case.
All in all, this story is definitely one of my favorites. Thank you for writing a beautiful story and sharing it with all of us.

Merry Christmas and Keep Writing (:

Aspired Writer
Brittany Woods chapter 1 . 12/24/2012
Hi! I'm Brittany, one of the judges for A Drop of Romeo. Your story was submitted for review on our site and was accepted! Here's my review:

"I have never personally known anyone in the military, but stories about military men and women and the people who love them fascinate me. As a plot point, such stories delve into an aspect of the human condition that I've never experienced, but feel great compassion for. To be separated from someone that you love, unsure of when or if you will see them again requires a courage and strength of character that I greatly admire. For this reason, I was immediately drawn to Letters to Mary McGraw. Mary is a kindhearted, optimistic, small town girl who meets James three days before he embarks on his third tour of duty in Vietnam. Our two leads have little in common and barely knew each other, but Mary feels compassion for a lonely soldier in obvious emotional pain. They begin a tentative friendship through letters sent across the world, interwoven with the terror of war and the endurance of the human spirit. Where James is pessimistic and hardened by war, Mary is bright eyed and confident in his future. While Mary has trouble finding herself, James sees her clearly and offers a perspective on the world far surpassing her own naivety.

JaneBarrie manages to capture the emotions of a time of turmoil in American history truthfully and factually with an unbiased eye. I felt apprehensive at first that this story would sway too close to one side of thinking from that time more than the other, but was pleased to discover she paid credence to a true historical event without allowing it to define the story. Mary and James are well developed and the supporting characters - particularly their respective parents - offer a well rounded cast of interesting individuals. My main criticism is the letters sometimes felt too short and I didn't always feel the connection between the characters as strongly as I may have with face to face interaction. However, it allows the reader to know the two leads how they began to know each other. Also, sporadically characters used language, particularly slang, that seemed a bit too modern for the time, but I didn't find it overly distracting. I expected this story to follow a cliche more closely than it did and was surprised at how JaneBarrie made it her own. Be forewarned: have your tissues ready and be prepared for some crazy twists and turns. This is a lovely historical piece easily applicable to current times. Letters to Mary McGraw presents a story of friendship, love, survival, and how one person can change you forever if you only have the courage to let them."
Unwritten.prose chapter 8 . 11/21/2012
You wouldn't believe it, but your story actually got me interested in the Vietnam War. And I'm not even a big fan of history! The story of Mary and James is so engaging, so real, and has just the right touch of sweetness to it. In short, I LOVE IT! The pace of the story is just right, and that is a great, rare quality right there. I'm on the 8th chapter, and I'm going to read the rest with bated breath! I'm not going to lie, I'm hoping fervently for a happy ending, but a small part of me is worried by the part of the prompt that promised angst. :/ Whatever the outcome of the story, I'm sure that James and Mary will always occupy a small spot on my mind, and this story will always be a favourite of mine. :)
Guest chapter 16 . 9/29/2012
This was a beautiful story! Great job! Loved it! :') 3
balloonfista chapter 16 . 7/13/2012
Awww! Loved the end! I think both characters felt really real - like how James went off to see Australia just because he was there and Mary got bad at her waitressing because she was so upset. Loved it!
balloonfista chapter 11 . 7/13/2012
Whooo! And it gets incredibly interesting...
Pranali chapter 16 . 5/13/2012
Woah. That was amazing. i almost cried when I thought James was dead. Omg. Seriously, amazing. You should have added an epilogue though, i would love to know what happens to them after this, like where they are present day. But, no lie, i loved this.
268 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »