Reviews for The Man of His Dreams
ImmanenceEnsured chapter 19 . 3/19
I like this, however. I don't really like the turn this story has taken. There are many awesome and incredibly things about it, such as the engineering - Gosh, the engineering! - the swimming, which is one of the coolest concepts ever, the communication and other stuff via embed, the organic walls, the water Temple, the creepiness of Auntie Beren and Uncle Carlos, the different 'kinds' of people gathering and interacting, the scandalousness of the extent to which Belan's been deceived, the apparent power of the people behind the whole slave system and the fact that it's been kept a secret. I like that Belan feels like belonging to Graff despite his awareness of the system. I also like that Graff wants nothing to do with it. But there lies the problem for me: they're on opposite sides from the beginning, which makes their attraction to each other super interesting, but the initial tension seems to have faded, despite there still being a conflict.

Belan is scared of the water but he also wants to drink it. Graff is scared of the implications of a relationship with Belan. Why does Graff enforce the system he hates by sleeping with Belan? He doesn't seem as interested as Belan is in exploring their connection. Quite the opposite, he's completely against it. That hostility he's introduced by in the first chapters is a huge part of the character, however his actions, at this point, have begun to contradict his convictions, and that doesn't sit well with. Belan is going with it, seemingly because it feels good, but that only makes their relationship seem more empty. Graff doesn't want there to be a slave bond, but takes actions that trigger their 'slave' connection. Maybe the sex was necessary because they needed to hide from their family behind a facade - creepy - but again, how empty is that? It kills all the tension and nullifies Graff's character building. Graff's behaviour makes him seem like a brat. It's all fridge logic, but it's unsatisfying. Then again I could be wrong, and I do get that this universe is so advanced that some things just happen without explanation, which is a huge part of the appeal. I just feel their relationship is very incomplete and impersonal, and that makes it hard for me to relate to these characters, who seem so strangely aloof about some things and hyper about others.
Blueyes57 chapter 19 . 11/13/2012
wow! what a story! and I love the whole mystery and romance thing you've got going. I hope updates aren't very long between each other ( hint hint lol). Seriously, I don't mind being drawn into a whole new world and people. It makes the story that much better in my opinion.
Excellent job! I've added a following to it so I don't miss an update.
enblackink chapter 19 . 4/17/2012
i really like this universe of yours: wacom tablet mouths, semi-sentient clothing, housing, and cars. then on top of that, the characters are really interesting, and i'm curious as hell to what the both of them are evolving into on the genetic and romantic levels.
The Green Eye chapter 19 . 3/1/2012
Wow! I love the uniqueness of you're story! You write amazingly well! I hope you update soon!
Asherx chapter 19 . 9/27/2011
My friend sent this to me with very little explination. AKA she said it was good and I had to read it. She was so very right. I just spent the last couple hours being freaked out of my mind and more intrigued than I thought I could be while on codeine. Thank you for the epicness that has been this story.
chibikodo chapter 19 . 9/25/2011
Poor Belan is so innocent in some aspects- Graff will have his hands full for a while. I can't help but wonder what other sinister things are happening behind the scenes with the Hallows... How suspenseful! What is going to happen now that they shared their story?
Valylene chapter 19 . 9/25/2011
And the plot thickens! Dun-dun-dun-duhhhn!

I don't really have anything productive to say, besides that I like this chapter quite a bit. It makes me happy to see updates. )

Danke fer ze update und ze read.
halgirl chapter 19 . 9/25/2011
You know I had just begun reading your latest chapter when I started listening to the song playing in the background. "There's something in the water, that makes me love you like I do." That was kinda a freaky moment.

Brooke Fraser - Something In The Water
zoo-bie chapter 18 . 8/7/2011
I don't really know why, but normally I'm not that into sci-fi. This, though... This is just magnificent. Yes, the plot is that intriguing, and yes, it is that well-written. I'm not sure I can wait for the next update, but I'll try.
Valylene chapter 18 . 7/24/2011
I will contribute to the reviews for this chapter/story!

Anyway, I've been reading this for a while now, and I'm very confused. I don't know if it's just because I'm stupid and am not understanding what you're saying, or if there's other information required before reading this so that the reader can catch all of the implications and subtleties. Maybe not. Whatever. I still like it.

The story itself is very interesting. I love how Belan is both ignorant and knowledgeable about his situation - I think that's really refreshing to see, and pretty realistic.

I liked this chapter because you introduced a character without making it seem forced, and for the dialogue you've got going. None of it seems like it's out of place. Herdelida seems very natural, and I really like that she seems very official, noticing that there's activity going on "under the surface" so to speak, and calling them out on it.

I like it a lot.

Thanks for the read!
littleanemonefish chapter 18 . 7/18/2011
Ah, I feel like this chapter didn't get anywhere. You're torturing me. But other than the fact that I'm too impatient to wait for the next chapter, I like it and I think the pace is actually really good, if I didn't have to wait, haha.
littleanemonefish chapter 17 . 7/7/2011
Oh man, sucked into another one of your stories. But when will this plot continue? - I'm yelling that up at the sky by the way, to be more dramatic.
Mell8 chapter 17 . 6/7/2011
This is amazingly well done! Your title is a bit misleading, but I'm glad I started reading this anyway. The terms you've come up with to describe the swimming and the other water technicalities are brilliant. I also love your characterization and how Belan and Graff are still somehow managing to fight back despite the fact that they were genetically created.

I hope you update this again soon, because I want to know what happens now that Belan doesn't have his water and they've gotten to the Authority. I hope they can do something to save Belan and Graff!
kattastic999 chapter 17 . 6/6/2011
We have PLOT here! YAY!
Daydream Nation chapter 16 . 4/22/2011
The effort put into crafting this world is just amazing. I love the complexity of the politics and character dynamics.
46 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »