Reviews for Like Painkillers
The Toothpaste Fiend chapter 1 . 7/5/2008
This is beautiful and haunting. (Coming from the girl who tends to only like poems that rihyme). The last part is particularly effective. Really good. Plus, being a bit of a science freak I like the bit about the red blood cells. Heh.
B. J. Winters chapter 1 . 6/21/2008
This I liked. I only got stuck on one place - where you use the period after out. I think this would flow better on the prior line, showing a true shift with the And to start the line.

But I'm sure you had a point. Perhaps it plays into the stop/start imagery that I see. Very much liked the ending. I also liked that the only capital was "I". For more drama you could capitalize Myself (making it larger than life) but it plays well as is with extra spacing - like a big surprise at the end.

The italics question. I'd definitely keep that where it is and highlighted. The reader should open their eyes just a bit wider there. Nice way to make this larger than just introspection.

I also liked your use of vocabulary. Mulitsylable, etc. Makes it more sophisticated than "deep, dark".

nice job
LadyRini478 chapter 1 . 6/13/2008
Writing can be the escape from the world that many of us seek. Poets are always searching for the perfect words to convey their feelings, and sometimes they feel almost vulnerable when they put those words out for others to read. This is what you have done, and the poem is absolutely amazing. Many will critique this negatively, but I find that those who have nothing postive to say about another's work usually do not know how to write good poems anyway. There's one misspelling, but other than that your pace and beat were very good. Wonderful work!