Reviews for The Egg
Harmonic Discord chapter 1 . 6/15/2008
The beginning of this poem was awesome - it grabbed me instantly and made me want to keep reading. I loved the adjective "onyx-cabochon". Nice!

My one crit (and maybe this is just me) is that I didn't really get the ending... if it's not a bird, then what is inside? It feels like it's supposed to be metaphorical but I'm not really getting it... Maybe you could find some way to make it clearer? (Or maybe I'm up wayy past my bedtime which is a likelier possibility?)

Minor points:

and his onyx-cabochon eyes glitter in my direction. - I feel like the "and" should be an "as"

"This is New England," I say weakly, "Winter isn't over til May. - Too true!

- Harmonic Discord from the Review Marathon (link in profile)
Orual chapter 1 . 6/15/2008
A little odd and creepy, yes, but fascinating. The poem seems like a dream, really-everything is a little off kilter and you know it isn't real, but here it is, nonetheless, pressing itself upon you. I'm still trying to puzzle the meaning in the poem out (and trying to decide if there IS a concise meaning), but I'm glad that I read this.

Also, I found it interesting that the robin worried about the eggs was male. Is there a reason you went that route?
Yasona Black chapter 1 . 6/15/2008
what is it? what's inside the egg? (i'm horrible at guessing). I really liked this one too. It's a completely original poem, which is extremely refreshing, and i feel sad and just a little horrified...good job.
Agent Firefly chapter 1 . 6/15/2008
It is creepy. I love it.
Tranquil Thorns chapter 1 . 6/15/2008
Very creepy!

I like the format you have here - poetry that tells a story.

I also like how you left the ending open for others to decipher. For me, I imagined a monstrous human-thing curled inside that egg; I don't know what gave me that idea.
lymli chapter 1 . 6/15/2008
omg, it's really scary! life is full of surprises, sometimes they aren't good ones.