Reviews for Dig
WhenceComethThisBoredom chapter 2 . 10/29/2008
HA ha aha. oh man. you leave a story for a few days and you just totally forget how funny it is. well, I came to read this to get my mind off of the scary movie I just watched (being as it is night and cold and quiet and I'm alone), and it's just what the doctor ordered: imaginative and funny, and well written and grammaticized too, which is important, you know.

Anyhow.

Oh! That is a low blow, man. The escort thing, I mean.

Good for him. Riley shouldn't let those self-important grad students pick on him.

Hey, that's cool. That's the sort of thing I'd like to see in a movie - I bet it would look pretty neat. Also it's nice to get a glimpse of magic in action after all the ambiguity of the other story. It even sounds vaguely scientific. XD

Yay! Colt's back!

That's a nice metaphor, about the words on the clothesline.

Grebits? Like, gerbil-rabbits, or just rabbits with a funny accent? And subarctic dya?

All of these people have such normal names, but they're, like, crazy-looking. That just occurred to me. Call it prejudice, but it's hard for me to imagine them actually as they are described and not as just, y'know, people.

So, auto-mata. I'm hoping this means, like, robots or something...

Aw, I wanted to hear his story...

Morrissey Fey, okay, now that's more like it. That's my kind of name. Of course, Riley Pearson is too, but that's beside the point.

Okay, Fey's now officially my favorite character. Also, for some reason I can imagine him with the cat stuff, too. And I can imagine Rasta as a wolfish man, if not exactly a wolf, so there's a beginning, at least.

Hmm, a freeway sign, perhaps?

Ah, you used "rugged" twice in the same paragraph. You should change that.

This story just gets better, though. I love post-apocalyptic ruins. So. And I was totally right, too. About the freeway, I mean.

nice last line.

Oh, what a fun, romp-y kind of a story. You should write another one for the series, because even though it may take me a bit to finish this one, I'll be sad when I'm done and there's no more... Hey, that's what you should do for Nanowrimo: Tales from New Walpole University, a loose collection of stories from post-apocalypse Massachusetts. It'd be great.
WhenceComethThisBoredom chapter 1 . 10/17/2008
Ha, good. Archaeology. good.

I feel I must note here that canines DO have the physiology to sigh. My dog does it all the time. She does it when she's bored, just like a human. Therefore, Rasta could totally sigh, unless of course it's just dogs who can do it and not wolves, but I imagine wolves can too, so there.

ha ha. and here I expected a strip club.

the world seems to have gotten considerably weirder since the preceding story. somehow it reminds me of The Fifth Element - that was a weird movie full of weirdness. the whole tentacles thing and the guy in silk with a fan and "Blue Steel" on his face (I did kind of imagine Ben Stiller dressed like a girl)... yes. or maybe Blade Runner. A cross between the two.

Anyhow, see? Rasta's BORED. He can TOTALLY sigh, just like my dogs. and I've had many dogs who sigh when they're bored. So THERE.

ah, so you're not telling us when you change perspectives anymore. but then, you're not speaking in first person anymore, so there's no more need.

You know, I have always wondered if pointed ears really make a person able to hear better. I mean, in Star Trek and LotR and pretty much everywhere else, it's just been kind of assumed, but I betcha it elves were real, or Vulcans, the pointed ears would turn out to be purely cosmetic. Also, I haven't yet figured out what Colby is, and when you said his "species", I stared at it for a bit, trying to figure out how one might go about pronouncing it. Oh well. I'm sure that this, like so much else, wiil be revealed in its own good time.

You know, I had a vampire named Emil once, but there was an E on the end of his name. I do wonder why we monkeys find vampires so terribly alluring. I mean, I know sexual attractiveness (and, to some extent, promiscuity) have become deeply ingrained in society's perception of these creatures, to point that it's as assumed as the pointy-ears-lead-to-better-hearing thing - more so, really, and I'm guilty of it, too. But it's certainly something to think about. I mean, jeez, it can't be evolutionarily advantageous for a woman to have her blood sucked dry immediately upon being impregnated, if vampires can even impregnate people. In Blade they could, but I haven't seen it much elsewhere. But I guess it would be evolutionarily good for a guy, since his blood would contribute to the fitness of his impregnated mate, thereby increasing the chances of her survival and, by proxy, that of their offspring.

Talk about long-winded. Sorry. I'm at work, you see, and babbling kills the time. I hope you don't mind.

I kind of like the idea of her tentacles following her hands. and maybe the third could mimic her head. though not perfectly. that would look pretty cool. They should put that in a movie.

I like how you introduce all the characters from Rasta's point of view, then again from their own points of view, and then go back to Rasta as if you were introducing him a second time. It's nice and symmetrical.
deletethisaccountplease9 chapter 5 . 6/29/2008
haha, still brilliant. I was disappointed that you took chapter 6 down, but oh well, I think it is worth the wait. Anyway, I loved the 'evil thing' though I still want to know what it is and how it... works? lol keep it up.
no.peace.los.angeles chapter 1 . 6/28/2008
Haha, I love the end of the chapter. This is a very unique story. I love how you make all these, um, people, I guess, just like normal people, even though they're not actually people. The conversations are fun and amusing, and I like that. Interesting piece of work you've got here. Keep writing! :)
Nitlon chapter 5 . 6/28/2008
I believe I'll try my hand at this.

1)"Rasta looked briefly hopefully," I think it's safe to assume that this was a typo and not intentional, and I can only discern that you mean looked briefly hopeful, or forgot to delete one of the adverbs? Also, potato-like fashion. Heh.

2)I think I'm imagining the vague connection I have between Riley and Rincewind, but, there you have it. Must be the weak magic thing.

3)The sno cone bit reminds me of this book I had a while ago, analyzing the 'ancient world' (our current one). It discerned that the TV was a shrine of some sort, because everything in a room seemed to be pointed towards it.

4) Tone of mind? I'm not saying that you're confusing, just confusing me, because I'm not sure if he communicates telepathically or with some difficult jowl movements.

5)Hm. Mr. Plot Complication certainly has an interesting way of thinking to itself. I rather like it. I love antagonists that think things along the lines of 'silly humans'.

6)"It was veined through with thick ribbons of red and it was pulsating softly." Not only is that great imagery, but all good evils have a circulatory system.

7)The shouting smelled of warm cinnamon? Hmm.
deletethisaccountplease9 chapter 3 . 6/26/2008
oh wow, I just love this, have I told you that yet? I really cant wait to see where you take this, and where it is going. They say that an author has achieved something great when he has his readers wanting more, and quite frankly, You have done it.

I loved your process by the way, it made me laugh, but I thought it was genius. I may have asked this before but have you ever considered publishing your stories professionally? They are not perfect, but I would be willing to bet that if you touched up a few things, and went a tad more in depth, that anything you publish would do well.
Nitlon chapter 2 . 6/26/2008
You know, I was about halfway through this chapter when 'Charles River' was mentioned, and I thought 'hey, I know of a Charles River. It's somewhere in Massachusetts.' and then directly after that, Newton was mentioned, and I decided that entropy hadn't quite reached that level in my life yet. So, kudos on the geographical correctness, and all that.

Other than that, so far I'm really liking this story. It's got a bit of a Terry Pratchett air to it, with something else that seems uniquely your own.
deletethisaccountplease9 chapter 2 . 6/25/2008
Haha! I am still loving this story. The characters are so awesome! I gotta ask though, do you just think of the most random creatures, mix them together and then add a human attitude? Whatever you are doing keep it up, each character is just hilariously awesome.
Sword on Fire chapter 2 . 6/25/2008
"Jennifer sighed and Daniel rode on, following after Colby.

Daniel lay back in the wagon, pillowing his head on a bag of foodstuffs."

I think you mean to say that Riley lay back in the wagon, not Daniel.

In other news, this story is very interesting. I like Professor Rasta, and the fact that not all of your characters are human. Keep it up!
deletethisaccountplease9 chapter 1 . 6/23/2008
haha, you have done it again. Great job. I was so excited to see another chapter in this story! anyway, keep it up.