Reviews for The Opal Fox
AlijaS117 chapter 21 . 9/11/2009
update soon!
fredsbank chapter 21 . 9/11/2009
I can't explain the thrill I get when I see you have posted an update. I just love the characters you have created.

And as usual, I hit the end of the chapter and sigh, while I wait for the next update.
Outlaw's Daughter chapter 20 . 8/28/2009
Another great chapter. No Emory/Aura, which makes me sad, but the politics and shady doings and mystery are just as interesting. I am completely convinced that Lord Daniel is the evil sorcerer. Not Freddy, it can't be Freddy!

Signed,

Outlaw's Daughter
Tawny Owl chapter 20 . 8/27/2009
I can’t blame you for being a Terry Pratchett fan – and you updated eventually, so carry on. My turn to apologise – this is going be an awful review because as soon as the not arrives I was reading way too fast.

It was exciting though because it felt like we’re at the stage where things are going to start being forced out in the open. (I did like the brief flash of politics below stairs with Reggie beating up Jan). And Emory and his eyebrows? I like the idea that he could be testing her – it gives him a calculating edge that hasn’t been there before, and implies that perhaps he’s not as, urm, safe, may be, as I’ve been thinking.

And you take the idea of trolls and bridges to a whole new level – brilliant.

The candle and a knife – we’re getting in to the serious stuff now? And I loved that the scone went into her mouth. So practical. Granny Weatherwax would be proud.

Freddy? No, not Freddy. Surely. My money was on Lord Daniel (?), but I’m still waiting to see how the mysterious James fits into all this….. We seem to be revisiting the back plot in this chapter, and that makes me think there’s more to the events surrounding his disappearance than meets the eye. And he sold her out? I may have to go and read Blood and Satin now. I remember the stabbing being mentioned but can’t remember the details.
TymCon chapter 20 . 8/27/2009
huh i always wanted to read terry pratchet, but the movies are kinda bad. Like very bad. Are the books very diffrent? Anyway this was one exciting and imformative chapter:P I never expected rolf to get attacked:O yeah a few one shots on annie would be cool:P I really wanna see james, like in this storie, we hear so much about him:P
Casup chapter 19 . 8/18/2009
Ah, a good long story that reminds me of one of many grat novels and book I have read(I am a sucker for a good fantasy story), I recently discovered your story and I sadly have to admit that I have been skimming through some chapters but I do love the characters and how their personalities make them seem life like, and as this is rare I really like Aurelie. Mostly far before I discovered this site I have been reading fanfiction, and sadly the female characters mainly annoy me, but your character has a sort of air around her that makes me respect her because she isn't one of those types that instantly swoon over the guys. I love the fluencey of this story and the style somewhat reminds me slightly of Dianna Wyanne Jones one of my favorite fantasy authors along with many others, I hope you update soon.
Outlaw's Daughter chapter 19 . 8/17/2009
I have one thing to say: Go away Lord Daniel!

*Also, I loved it. As usual.*

Signed,

Outlaw's Daughter
Jacqui chapter 19 . 8/15/2009
I started reading the Opal Fox and I kept going until I reached the last chapter. Your writing shows depth and originality; you clearly have a very vivid image of the world that you are attempting to create.

I love Aurelie and (as long as it doesn't interupt your story line and the pace you're attempting to achieve)I like to here more about her relationship with her family. I think it has some very interesting dynamics. Of course I'd be easily appeased with more one-off pieces. Maybe something involving Anne?

~ Jacqui (Sydney, Australia)
AlijaS117 chapter 19 . 8/14/2009
great chapter update soon!
Tawny Owl chapter 19 . 8/13/2009
Thanks for updating - and I don't mind footnotes. I'd also quite like a hat like Terry Prattchett's.

Loved Granville’s entrance – you let us know exactly what we were dealing with! And why Aura is so unimpressed with him. And Mitborough’s reaction was very dry, and priceless!

I was getting really worked up for Aura to set Granville’s socks on fire or something – but I liked the way you used the incident to show how passionately she feels about her own magic, and how seriously she takes it. It’s always interesting to learn a bit of the theory as well.

And Emory uses the classic cuddling up to a girl in the cinema technique – or lecture in this place. I’m impressed he got her waist. He’s a brave man.

It was good to see how the gods and goddesses fit into the scheme of things as well. That would be a huge spell harnessing that and getting them to do what you want. Are we going to be tested on all this later?

The Dragons sound interesting as well. You talk about them signing treaties and having control of their own magic, but you also imply they are kept as curiosities.

He smiled and I swear that it is not fair that he can use such a weapon at close proximity. _ ah, she likes his smile. And let’s us know it in her typically astute way. That was a great line. The same when the men with swords appear – the fact that she couldn’t remember the spell. It made Aura seem much more vulnerable than she has been before.

And Prince Geoffrey was described really well. Mostly by Emory’s reaction to him, but as soon as the guy strode in the temperature dropped. He really does come over as an unpleasant person.

The description of the air moving was amazing – and so was Geoffrey’s response, but then it would have been foolish to expect a thank you!

She fights back towards the end though – and the comment about not being in control is very in character.

Ok, my suspicion is kicking in again. Lord Daniel’s cousin wants to know more about magic? He got her out of their very smoothly and then started asking her questions about it. I know he could have asked that at pretty much any time, and may be he is just a nice guy, but I was still suprised.
TymCon chapter 19 . 8/13/2009
Oh awesome chapter, i think i might read drex:P
AlijaS117 chapter 18 . 7/28/2009
really good!
Inkbl0t chapter 1 . 7/27/2009
This is actually pretty good; if my keypad wasn't fucking up, I'd tell you why.
TymCon chapter 18 . 7/27/2009
It was a good chapter. Id have more praise but i didnt go to sleep last night so im not in best of mood:P
Tawny Owl chapter 18 . 7/26/2009
There were some brilliant lines in this: “Now you don’t need to breathe, you just need to look pretty.” And Anne’s comment about the princes both being grey.

The conversation between Charles and Kavei was chilling and calculated, although I would have liked more description about the tone of their voices, especially as the description of the library felt really textured with smell and touch.

That said Charles might be causing himself problems: It seems that Aura is at her best when she has something to fight back against.
275 | « Prev Page 1 .. 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 .. Last Next »