Reviews for Willful Wisdom
TheLadySongSerenade chapter 4 . 6/16/2010
hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha... I think you're missing a few words here and there.
TheLadySongSerenade chapter 2 . 6/7/2010
I like it. There are a few mistakes here and there, none too huge. The thing that was kind of confusing was all of the titles. The way you had them was just a bit scrambled. I think you threw around too many titles at once. Like, not necessarily assigning less... more like, not substituting one title for another.
luzanima chapter 3 . 5/4/2010
When I first read this chapter, I'd actually had a slight suspicion that Agent Grey and the absent daughter might be one and the same, but the insinuation from Harrington led me to dismiss it. I'm trying to remember the explanation that occurs later in the story to account for the slow mail delivery, and why Harrington decided to tell William that Grey might be a turncoat...I don't remember now if I'd found them that convincing or not. Guess I'll see when I reach those chapters again :)

Just want to say again how much I love your writing - the characters are very well-drawn, in particular William, who from the first is very likable and sympathetic. Sutton and Harrington are also good in this and the previous chapter, though I felt the Duchess to be a little two-dimensional. I suspect that was your intention however :)
luzanima chapter 30 . 5/3/2010
Hi there! I've actually reviewed this story before, but it was before I finally created an account and could offer feedback in a more interactive way. So, I've copied an old review below so that now you know it was me :)

It sounds like you have plans to edit and rewrite the story, so I'll try to go back through and offer some constructive feedback on the various chapters when life is less busy. I'd love the chance to reread the story!

Thanks for the great writing.

Loved this! I stayed up late so I could read the whole thing in one go. Seriously, it was a great piece of historical fiction. I even found it better than some published ones I've read, like the The Secret of the Pink Carnation. Can't wait to read more!

And, since I saw you had some questions posted in the Author's Notes, here are my thoughts:

1) the new rewritten prologue is also pretty cool. Is there some way to use both? Maybe Sophia's first, and then the snippet from the gossip sheet?

2) Moorsville (I think that was his name) was an okay character. I don't see a reason to delete him, but I wouldn't necessarily give him a larger role.

3) I don't think Collingswirth and Bromfield should move into the house!

4) The long-lost brother thing was sort of cliched, but still worked well enough. What was more of a plot gap was not knowing why he cared about assassinating the Prince Regent.

5) After giving us hints of how Harrington really felt about his daughter, it would've been good to include a scene where that conversation actually takes place. Also, to have him fill Will in on why he'd set him on "Grey's" tail.

6) Lastly, I would love to see their wedding written as a scene! But maybe I'm just a sucker for that kind of stuff :)

Thanks for writing this - it was lovely!
anon chapter 29 . 4/15/2010

3) I don't think Collingswirth and Bromfield should move into the house!

Thanks for writing this - it was lovely!
Astarael-11 chapter 31 . 2/26/2010
Oh my lord. Let me just begin by saying that (yay, I finally finished it! but this is not what I wanted to start with) I can't believe that more people haven't read this story!

I simply adored it and thought it was fantabulistic (and I know I just made up a word but that's how great I thought it was because no words can really describe how much I like it).

I absolutely loved the whole concept of the story and all the characters were cimply great as well. I can also see how the thing I mentioned before about the tenses got better the more I read.

Anyway, just a few random comments which came to me when I read your story: for some reason (don't ask me why) but I kind of got the feeling that Collingworth was the evil guy... but then I realised he was french and up until the point we learn why he kidnaps Sophia, he reminded me of Grenouille from Perfume. I think it was the whole french and murdering thing...

Oh and the new Prologue is really good because it links into many thing that happen in the story.

But anyway, enough of my ramblings, I just thought I'd tell you how much I enjoyed your story and look forward to reading more in the series :)
Astarael-11 chapter 3 . 2/19/2010
Omg, I have to say that I’m loving your story! It’s really good and I love regency and this is really interesting.

There might just be one thing you want to fix (and this is me just being really nit-picky with your wonderful story) and that is that sometimes your tenses seem to change. For example:

“At times, mother can be somewhat overbearing. She has retained her role as head of the family despite being widowed for so many years. A role she takes most seriously.” It seems like this is in first person/present tense whereas the rest of your story is in third person...

I don’t know, that’s all the problem I had with it and other than that I’m really enjoying this very much!

I’m really sorry but I can only read this much at the moment but I will definitely be reading the rest as soon as I get the time!
peacelovejay chapter 1 . 2/11/2010
im a little confused at this, but for some reason i found it highly amusing :)
Reverie-enchantee chapter 31 . 1/13/2010
Hi Priscilla, I'll answer frankly and it only concerns my interpretation _

It sounds definitely different. It even reminded me of the Little Princess when she is thrown into the attic and later on in the barn. You stress how miserable she is. Her being left alone without any warm things and going as far as throwing things into the fire to be kept warm seems a little excessive for me but it must suit your goal to make us loathe her father immediately. I don't know why but I expect the next chapter to start with her being an adult. The father is really despicable. The tone is different, the dynamic is different. May be because it is description but with no emotions involved from them, as least to me. This is my second reading of the chapter. The first one, I felt like skipping and did skip lines because of some repetitions about her poor situations. It's almost as if you want us to feel pity for her, to feel how resourceful she may be and how she tries to cling to her father. WOuld the bay be on of the future spy? I'm impatient to read the next chapter _
Anonymous chapter 31 . 1/8/2010
I think your story is amazing. I don't give reviews often but as soon as i started reading your story i knew it was going to be a good one. This is probably the best thing i have read on fb in a very long time. Your plot (which may have been done before) still kept me intrigued. Your dialogue is amazing. You don't have ANY awkward phrasing (which is incredibly refreshing after some of the things I have tried to read on this website). I can definitely compare your story to many published works.
Buhbyesuckers chapter 31 . 1/6/2010
Damn Sohpia's father! *shakes fist at him*

*sniff* at least she found some happiness with the gypsies/circus people?

*rubs hands together* I can't wait for the edited version!
All Over You chapter 31 . 1/5/2010
Um, yeah. Hi! sorry i missed you on fb chat :(

anyway the prologue's really interesting. i feel like i know sophia better? if that makes sense. no? yes?

ah, anyway. yeah. keep working on that rewrite girl!
Daph J chapter 30 . 12/29/2009
It's finished! I almost can't believe it! YAY for happy endings!

To answer your questions...

1) My vote is for the rules

2) Keep the prologue as is! The fact that Sophia's childhood is revealed bit by bit later on adds to her character development, I think.

3) No don't nix Mooresville!

4) Don't know how I feel about this

5) It's a classic plot, but it works

Okay, so, most importantly... WHEN does Bromfield get his story? This is all I ask for in life! Help a fangirl out?

Daph
BellaCakes chapter 29 . 12/22/2009
i'm glad i didn't skip to the end, it would have ruined it. hm...i do like the complexity of the relationships in this story. especially between the daughter and dad, in the end you find out he does care about her...even if he doesn't show it. plus, the stubbornness of the two people (will and sophia) made it a fun story to follow. i mean really, it was all miscommunication due to their pigheaded-ness...but that just made their...togetherness...in the end all that much sweeter.
BellaCakes chapter 11 . 12/22/2009
oh my, you are good. haha i'm sitting here wanting to just skip ahead and know the outcome, however the way you write has stopped me from temptation and well. damn, this is a great story.
162 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »