Reviews for Anthems for a Seventeen Year Old Girl
Nausikaa chapter 7 . 9/21/2009
I'll be looking forward to your next update Miss Tenenbaum! This is a great story.
Nausikaa chapter 6 . 9/21/2009
Another great chapter! :) I especially liked Remy's chat with her mother, and that part with Dean.
Nausikaa chapter 5 . 9/19/2009
I love this line by Remy- “And that’s why we all keep going to these stupid things. Not because the booze is amazing or the company is mind-blowing. Cause we’re all just praying that maybe if we start moving, maybe the world will start moving with us. It’s never gonna work but we’re all too idealistic to realize it,” I think that's a fantastic analogy. You're right to think about getting this published, you know. This is the best story I've read on F P for a very long time. I love your narrative style, your metaphors and similies, how Dean's eyes are "dull, dimmed by the weight of our reality." I'm not usually one for gushing, but you've got me here.

I loved the part between Dean and Remy. I hope she dumps Blake and gets together with him.
Nausikaa chapter 4 . 9/19/2009
Hooray! Dean's back. I'm looking forward to see how Dean reacts to the new Remy, and whether he's going to try and get her back how she was. Nice stuff.
Nausikaa chapter 3 . 9/19/2009
Great chapter. :D I've said it before and I'll say it again; I love your style of writing. I love the first paragraph and how you describe people in the southern towns (I'm guessing you mean the south part of America) and how they're afraid of change and just waiting for the world to be destroyed along with good morals.

My other favourite part is Remy's explanation of why she's gone off the walls. That she doesn't want to become a zombie like her mother and would rather be self-destructive than catatonic. This is the best bit- "I want to fight and I want to raise hell and I want to burn out like some monstrous universe on the verge of white-hot death." You have a serious way with words Margot. Very emotive.

I'm not very good at first person, especially in present tense. It looks weird and stunted and slips into past every few paragraphs. I only know a few people who can do it really well and make you feel like you're there; you're one of them.
Wakao chapter 7 . 9/18/2009
This is my favorite chapter so far. That scene between her parents was so real, I could relate to that. All that hurt and tension must be tiring on a day to day basis, no wonder Remy wants to numb herself to it with alcohol. Dean looks like the knight in shining armour right now, but surely it can't be that simple..
sgwx chapter 7 . 9/18/2009
Oh, please don't make this a tragedy. The second to last line "Later on, the both of us will dismiss this display of affection as the result of shared desperation, a commonality of grief and the necessary alliance for survival in such a small-town packed with too many memories." is just too foreboding. :(

Either way, you know I love your writing to the max and then some. Thank you!
Nausikaa chapter 2 . 9/18/2009
I love this. The way you write is just great. I wish I could do characterisation like you.
Nausikaa chapter 1 . 9/18/2009
I can tell this is going to be a great story. I don't find much on FP I actually want to continue reading, but this is one of them. I like your narrative style and the way you word things- it was beautiful how you compared the sky to satin. Characterisation's great too- I loved Edwin and his journal, how Remy was fascinated with it.

I can only find a few not so good things. The first two sentences were a turn off. "No one told me when Edwin died. That is, no one thought to tell me right away." It sounds wooly and hesitant, not really a good opening. Which is a shame, because the story after that is vibrant and interesting. My advice is to cut out the second sentence, since it'll still make sense afterwards seeing as Remy's parents left to the hospital without her.

I also feel like something is missing between Remy finding out about her brother and her going off the deep end. We leave her still in a state of shock about her brother- a completely realistic reaction- and unable to take in what's happened to him. I would think there would be some sort of realisation before she loses it.

Very good apart from that. I'll definitely read on.
We Used To Wait chapter 7 . 9/18/2009
I love how you describe some things. Like similes, and metaphors and other means of description. It's the same stuff but in a different way.

I like the relationship between Remy and Blake, or lack of relationship. It's so different, bitter and sad, hot and cold and totally wrong but sometimes right. Even though generally, in the end, it is so wrong.

Refreshing!

update soon.

love.
storywritergirl chapter 6 . 9/14/2009
Beautiful. I love your writing style-it appeals to me so much. The world you've created, the characters you've made have drawn me in-Remy, Dean, Blake, and Edwin in particular. I'm favouriting, putting on alert, and eagerly awaiting some more.

Oh, and am I crazy, or are you a Supernatural fan? The name Dean, the Impala, the silver ring? At any rate, the mental image of Jensen Ackles is never bad and will from now one be associated with your Dean :P

Cheers.
meowza chapter 1 . 9/11/2009
THIS is the story I've been looking for all along. Fictionpress has become rather... horrible? All the amazing stories are hidden beneath the trash. I'm so glad I kept rummaging because it led me to this.

The writing so far is really good, very professional. I'm looking forward to learning more about Remy - her characterization is pretty damn good. Nice job. (;
into the black chapter 6 . 9/3/2009
Slightly depressing but really, really good. Makes you think a lot about the mundane in life but the beauty and rareness of it.
Jada Writes chapter 6 . 9/1/2009
Thank you for another intense chapter. I look forward to your next one.
We Used To Wait chapter 6 . 8/30/2009
I thought you said that Blake's CD compartment was stuck. There was a CD permanently stuck in the player, but in this chapter she is able to change it. I'm pretty sure that's what I read. Just saying, 'cause before, I kinda liked the fact that the CD was stuck in there.

". . . A knife to my façade, a reminder that although deep down, I may have a good heart, I am a bad person."
77 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 .. Last Next »