Reviews for Orality vs Literacy: a battle of word art

Cheap shoes ,jersey ,handbag ,accept paypal,free shipping

Low price for high quality shoes ,accept paypal ,free shipping

CHEAPEST NIKE SHOX TUROB SPORT SHOES

new style of shoes ,handbag ,t-shirt,jean

welcome to check ourw website :
Brenda Agaro chapter 3 . 7/5/2009
Well thought out and fascinating. I have studied oral storytelling in a theatre class before.
Nemonus chapter 2 . 8/14/2008
From the beginning I found this a very clear and useful essay, especially as someone who could serve to improve in both prose (where one needs to remember different character's 'voices') and pubic speaking. "you want them to have a good time, make it clear you are having a good time yourself." really spoke to me as good advice regarding the latter skill. Although I cannot say to have been able to evaluate this essay in any professional manner(it was well-organized, with a consistent format-skeleton, and I can recognize that, but I'm no storyteller to critique your tecniques that make up the meat of the essay), I think this was very well done.
RuathaWehrling chapter 1 . 7/21/2008
Greetings! This was an interesting and thought-provoking piece of work. I'm not much of a story-teller, but I do play flute improv, sometimes, and I think some of the skills are similar. As you say, it's both similar and different from writing a story (or piece of music). Good analysis.

From a technical perspective, there were two sections I'd suggest you take a look at in this essay - oddly enough, the very first and last paragraphs. The first was this line:

"For this first essay, I would like to explain what I perceive as the differences between oral storytelling and writing and how that impacts the process."

I think this was the weakest part of your essay, because you've simply stated a thesis, like an announcement, with no life to it at all. I very nearly stopped reading there, just because it felt like a middle-school essay. The rest of the piece was NOT this way, however. I would strongly suggest you consider reworking this beginning so that it draws in readers better.

The other section that bothered me is almost certainly a typo:

"Or even looking inward and becoming more intimately acquainted with While certain weaknesses are inevitable, they can be gotten around or compensated for."

I think that between "with" and "While" there's supposed to be another word (or phrase) and a period? Like I said, probably a simple typo, but still something that should be fixed. :)

Nice work! I think I'm going to add this to my collection of essays (if you have a problem with that, just holler). Thanks!

-Ruatha
Nemonus chapter 1 . 7/13/2008
I'd be interested to hear about your experiences with live storytelling. It is a rare art, at least in my experience.

You have a very good and, indeed, academic, flow to the prose here. It sounds very professional.

I thought that the explanation of the Grimms ("For anyone who is unaware, the fairytales were recorded by Wilhelm and Jacob Grimm... is now Germany was politically fragmented.) was too long and different from the rest of the essay-depending on your audience(and as you mention reviewers it seems to be FictionPress), they will probably know who the Grimms are, and, if they do not know the name, will understand if you cite some of the Grimms' more well-known stories instead of going into a short history lesson which might throw off students of literature. This lengthy explanation also surprised me because you did not explain the more obscure term "Dadaism" earlier in the essay at all.

"The practice of the latter, such as the knight Dietrich of Bern, traditionally a south German character, penetrating into the stories of Norway could be considered an early form of fan fiction." Interesting! One could probably write a whole essay on how early authors borrowed characters and whether or not that is in fact anything like modern fan fiction.

"today, Cinderella will be helped to the ball by Merlin, who incidentally has no fashion sense" lol! I think I'd read that.

I felt that the wrapping-up bit, the last sentence, was a bit short in comparison to the (very relevant) anecdote about your story that did not translate to the written word. It felt a bit abrupt.

The paragraph about "...writing has for some time now held the technological advantage (though this has started to change). Because it is easily disseminated..." was a bit short compared to the other arguments, and I think that it requires more explanation, especially your use of "technological". Does this refer to the Internet? While the points after that were clear, the opening and the way this paragraph was a small one between large ones made this part a little foggy.

Good. You got a lot of thought into a relatively short wordcount. Your arguments were organized well.
concerto49 chapter 1 . 7/12/2008
In electronic terms you're comparing real-time versus batch processing. Well I figure oral you need a good voice and be able to speak in different tones and all - yeah you make good points too. None of them are easy. Just depends on what you're good at. I think it's easier to do literacy because it's easy to pass people things to read than to get people to listen to you talk.