Reviews for Extraordinary
BlackestOpal chapter 1 . 10/19/2008

I know what this feels like so damn well. It's a great poem.

"I 'll always be an extra ordinary girl

with a cracked discolored wand and

a heart entranced by his essence"

Beautiful. :)

The wordplay was great.
M3smerize chapter 1 . 10/19/2008
Thank you for your review!

I must say this poem of yours is extremely creative. The usage of "extraordinary" is used perfectly - not so much so that it gets annoying, but not so little that it doesn't have an effect on the poem. I also like that fact that it's written about something so many can relate to, and the twist of fantasy adds an excellent touch.

Awesome job! :]
asylum writer chapter 1 . 10/12/2008
Review Marathon prize!

I liked the use of "extraordinary" and "extra ordinary". They're two completely different things, so it was a nice play on words.

I think that deciding against italicizing "ordinary" was the right choice. You italicized two lines earlier that were dialogue between the two people, so italicizing "ordinary" would connect it to those lines, and I don't know that that would have been a good connection.

I like the wizard metaphor, becuase you were able to continue it through the entire poem. My favorite part of that metaphor was "a cracked discolored wand". I think it really applied to the ordinary-ness (?) of the girl while still fitting in the wizard theme.
armchairs chapter 1 . 10/4/2008
Ooh I really enjoy this. The "extra ordinary" is extraordinary indeed. The entire two lines there are marvelous, actually. The only thing I'm struggling with is the very last line. For some reason, it doesn't quite spring out to me like the endings of the other stanzas. The rhythm just seems off. But overall, it's really quite good.
allyburner chapter 1 . 10/4/2008
Oh, really well done! I'm glad you didn't italicise the 'ordinary', it looks perfect as it is. Great work!

~Ally B.
a silenced revolution chapter 1 . 10/2/2008
Nice. I like the sound of all the words used in the last stanza.

I'd just suggest maybe changing something in the first four lines, like perhaps putting a comma instead of a period at the end of the first stanza.

Overall, well done, and a relatable sentiment.
Blissfully Sarcastic chapter 1 . 9/30/2008
I like it, babe!

I just think it's weird to start a conversation at the beginning of each stanza and then just leave it hanging for the last two.

I also think you should break the last stanza into to and add another one of "him" in between. It just throws off the rest, seeing as that one is so long and the others are three, four lines long.

But I really love the wording. Excellent as always!

Keep on keepin' on, love.

Random P.S. I never knew you spelled the word "naiveté." Wow. I always thought there would be a -y or something...but that might be why spell-check is my best friend.
McKinley Cooper chapter 1 . 9/23/2008
A very unique point of view on a universal self-doubt that we all must battle. Refreshing to see such an original take on it.

dragonflydreamer chapter 1 . 9/22/2008
Congrats on winning the Review Marathon! Here is your first prize review!

[I 'll always be] There's an extra space in there.

This is an interesting concept. I like how you started with the word, and then turned it into a poem about a feeling I'm sure most of your readers have experienced. It is very interesting a relatable.

I also like your use of italics earlier on in the poem. It emphasizes important phrases and adds more emotion behind them. As to the italicizing at the end: I like the idea, but the earlier italics seems to warrant a whole phrase, not a single word. However, the last line as a whole doesn't seem right in italics. So bottom line, I'm just as torn as you are :/

Amazing work as always, Mini! :D
Lifeless Prophet chapter 1 . 9/21/2008
The form here is also amazing. This piece is well constructed with interesting use of langauge.

can't wait to read more

radioactive stanica chapter 1 . 9/15/2008
Oh, goodie! I loved it!

(: Hugs :)
Unknown Survivor chapter 1 . 8/31/2008
Very nicely done. I enjoyed the word play in this piece. I think you should put "ordinary" in the last line in italics. It would add nicely though it is good the way it is. (:

~Unknown Survivor~
Tigger Lilly 1 chapter 1 . 8/30/2008
Hey. I really liked this. The only thing i didn't like was the subtle darkness of the poem. Other than that it is great.
Counting Petals chapter 1 . 8/10/2008
Hello, fellow RM winner! Sorry it took so long to review you; I just returned from vacation yesterday.

I liked how you used the image of a wizard in place of a controlling boyfriend, because it made me look at things in a way I hadn't really before. (I'm not sure if that's how you intended it, but that's how I read it.)

I also liked your play on "extraordinary", when you separated it into "extra ordinary," because it turned it around into a complete opposite. It turned around what the speaker had started off as saying, as she changed her mind.

Also, I think I would've liked it if you'd italicized "ordinary" in the last line. Just to add to the contrast between what he wants and how she sees herself.
Sercus Kaynine chapter 1 . 8/10/2008
RM review prize!

I liked how you formatted the beginning of this poem because it was unique. You listed the idea for the stanza (sort of like a topic sentence), and then you described what it meant. It was pretty cool.

I also enjoyed this because it surprised me. When I read the summary I thought it would sort of be a a typical love poem, but then you used magicians and spells to get the idea across. Nice work on this poem!
61 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »