Reviews for Extraordinary
inkspatters chapter 1 . 8/8/2008
Review Marathon Prize

I really liked this. It was a funny little twist on the word extraordinary as well as being bittersweet in a way. The element of fantasy was also a nice little touch.

NJ Is My Home chapter 1 . 8/8/2008
great poem! the twist of fantasy in it is clever and the title fits it very well
Anya Mabell chapter 1 . 8/6/2008
RM prize (yes, I know, very last minute of me)!

I liked the fact that you played with the word extraordinary and the idea of magic, it added an extra layer to the piece, I thought. Magic is already extraordinary, and yet hers is also ordinary. It's cool. I also liked that you didn't choose to italicize the word "ordinary" in the last line because I think it would have taken away from the conversation aspect of the earlier italicized lines.
CeruleanStarGlow chapter 1 . 8/5/2008
I love it. The last stanza is really good. My favorite part is-

I'll always be an extra ordinary girl

With a cracked, discolored wand and

a heart entranced by his essence

This is a really good poem! I like it a lot!
FirstBloom13 chapter 1 . 8/5/2008
This is RM review #1!

I really liked how you italicized those 2 lines at the beginning, I just really thought it helped to make the poem more emotional.

I didn't like how you said "But I think I already am" (extraodinary) when you said at the end "ordininary me." that didn't really make much sense.

all in all in was really good.
Lorki chapter 1 . 8/3/2008
review marathon prize- sorry it took me ages!

I love this, how it sort of is conversational in the beginning is a really good start and the turn in the end it sort of saddening but I think its very easy to relate for a bunch of people. I apologize that I'm not good at critiquing poetry at all, but I suppose the last stanza is much longer then the first three it looks a bit odd. Maybe there could be a break in it, but honestly its not very important. Good job

Kusje chapter 1 . 8/3/2008
I like how you made a theme with it about a wizard and just I really like how you wrote this. Very well done! :)

And the last three lines really made the piece stand out.
LaFarfalla chapter 1 . 8/1/2008
Wow! I think this is the first time I've read a fantasylike poem...and I like it! I like your use of imagery, especially the line "cracked discolored wand." The poem is cute but kind of sad. I like your play on the word extraordinary...especially when you say "I'll always be an extra ordinary girl." I love the last two lines! I think a whole book could be made out of this little poem...or at least a short story ] Well done!
ADSpencer chapter 1 . 7/31/2008
I loved the fantasy twist on this poem. I believe the magical element takes it further on an emotional scale, even if it's not read literally as a fantasy.

I also liked that there was a bit of a narrative in this one. "He chuckles [...]": from this line, one's absorbed into the poem as if it really is a story being told and not just an expression of longing. Nicely done.

At first, I thought it was a bit off balanced, the italicized lines. However, they grew on me during a second read, and I think the decision to divide what could read as one thought was well made.

Nicely done.
heart shaped box x3 chapter 1 . 7/30/2008
I liked this poem. It was very unique and put a twist on the much-overused "I'll never be good enough" for him idea. I loved the ending. ] The only thing I would probably be able to critique is how the stanzas are set up. But, that may just be me. I am one for even stanzas. Though, it was a nice read.

Great work!

-Drea {heart shaped box}
Midnight In Eden chapter 1 . 7/26/2008
Review Marathon Prize.

First of all, I'm glad you didn't italicize ordinary. I think it would've been too gimmicky.

I like the italics at the beginning of the first and second stanzas though. They add a nice personal element to the poem and the first line is a great hook into the poem.

I do think that you could tie them to the other sentences of the stanzas more clearly though, perhaps with a colon or dash? That way it seems more connected, like the following lines are an explanation for the statement.

Also be careful of overusing pronouns. In the first line of the third stanza the "his" isn't necessary.

Overall though, nicely done.

Maziana chapter 1 . 7/25/2008
Good use of words. I like the "extra ordinary girl" phrase as well. I'm not sure if italicizing"ordinary" would be better or not; both ways seem to work to me. Great poem!
multiples of six chapter 1 . 7/25/2008
This is cute! I like the play on "extra ordinary" - that word always seemed strange to me. Nice job )
Christy Leigh Stewart chapter 1 . 7/24/2008
It feels sort of silly, I don't know if you meant for that. The wizard image is a little Disney, but you might have had Konstantinos in mind. If that's the case, then this was sexy. None the less, it was a good poem.
Needa S chapter 1 . 7/24/2008
I think you done an awesome job. Write on.
61 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 .. Last Next »