Reviews for The Ruin of Daroder
Pyrokatt chapter 1 . 11/16/2008
Excelent job! "Skeletal" was a great way to describe the trees. It gives off a foreboding vibe. "Powers Nameless" was also an original way to describe nature. Vague, but not too cryptic. The repeat of the first two lines in the end helps to sum up the poem well. It's similar to Jabberwocky or Tyger in that aspect. The stanza pattern the two sets of four broke up the middle well. This made it less monotonous (not that it was monotonous to begin with). And finally, the thought that no matter what man can do, nature can undo it in an instant is a common one. You manage to desplay it in a way that is original. Kudos to you! Keep writing!
Carus chapter 1 . 11/16/2008
Ok, first things first, I liked the rhythm of this. It makes it sound like an epic poem, and it seems to follow that style despite its length.

I also thought the vocabulary used was very good - it kept to the same sort of style and reflects the time the poem is set in.

I also like the way you've split up the stanzas with the lines referring to 'the powers that are nameless'. This reinforces the main point of the poem, which to me is that the 'Powers that are Nameless' are omnipotent and nothing can stand up to them. I also like the way that you've named these nameless powers by capitalising the first letters of 'Powers' and 'Nameless' - it shows humanities wish to objectify and identify everything.

The rhyme scheme kept the poem flowing well and made it easier to understand.

I honestly can't think of anything bad to say about this poem, so well done ]

-Amy
Cambion chapter 1 . 11/14/2008
Oh god, this is epic.

I loved the rhythm, the pacing and pauses with phrases- it fit perfectly with the story.

I also liked the explanation of the poem. At first, I thought it was an epic-dragon-and-treasure kind of thing, until the background story was explained.

All in all, beautiful poetry.