Reviews for 1943
Muted Trumpet chapter 1 . 10/8/2011
Awesome story, so heart wrenching but beautifully written.
MidnightRosewithThorns chapter 1 . 2/27/2011
This was a really great story. Sad but still great. One thing is at the end I was slightly confused as to whether he or the captain shot her.
MT chapter 1 . 3/2/2010
great story!
Less Than Nothing chapter 1 . 2/14/2010
I really liked this. A lot of people have probably said this-but it came together very smoothly, and it was beautiful because of it's simplicity. Though a little bit more of details here and there wouldn't hurt.

But **laughs bitterly** ah, one shot. One shot, one shot, one shot.

Overall, nice job. Sometimes the best endings are the sad ones.
dakota chapter 1 . 2/14/2010
i liked this story... its really sad but its good.
Of Glorious Plumage chapter 1 . 2/13/2010
So far, this is the best story of yours that I've read. My throat actually closed up, and my eyes prickled with tears. I'm not quite sure what to say - it really touches me because my grandparents and great-grandparents on my mother's side are Jewish and were in Slovakia when the Nazis began taking over.

The one thing that distracted from the overall impact was your description of her eyes as "chocolate swirls" - it was a bit awkward and it jolted me out of the story's grip.

Plumage
When Eden Burns chapter 1 . 7/24/2009
Wow. That was pretty emotionally affecting. I love the simple, concise language you used. I would have maybe liked to see a little more detail in places - not enough to kill the feel, but maybe just at the beginning to understand the setting and such.

I love the lack of dialogue through the entire mid-section. Gives it an artful feel, sort of like watching a silent film.

I'm really glad I read it. ]
jake Chan chapter 1 . 7/23/2009
This story is so sad! It feels very realistic, and I like how you took a chiche idea(enemy soldier attracted to a captive girl) and seemed to make it fresh somehow. I think it's because there really isn't dialogue, and their relationship is through actions, not "I couldn't live without you"s

The ending is perfectly written; his feelings, the captain's words, and that he actually shoots her(he does, right?) This is an excellent piece of work, good job!
xenolith chapter 1 . 7/22/2009
Beautifully done, I'm impressed. I liked the simple descriptions and the feel of it, how time passed and how their relationship developed. Parts of this really jumped out at me, words you used that I wasn't expecting but were just, perfect. I loved the first sentence and the execution (ha, pun) at the end was brilliant. All in all, great work! I'm glad to have read it XD
Edgar Wellington chapter 1 . 7/22/2009
Overall I like this story. You build the emotions and the characters pretty well. It might have been more romantic if he'd shot himself...but the ending, even though expected, was perfectly shocking, and the resulting conflict is about as powerful as it can get.

I do have a few specific reactions:

"he was new on the job, still wet behind the ears" redundant.

"The fear in her chocolate swirls" chocolate swirls? It took me a bit to get past that image.

"Her tear stricken face" this is a touch awkward.
JZK chapter 1 . 6/7/2009
this is so sad

but very realistic - so I cant complain
Saphimire Karishnikova chapter 1 . 6/3/2009
O_O

wow... so very poignant. and the ending was very well done. i love how the characters stayed anonymous for the entire story, and how you developed them. wonderful work! :D
Phoenix Octavia Bright chapter 1 . 2/17/2009
Hey, I still owed you a review

First off, quite a topic you picked. I like the way the story flows together, and it seems like it could've been a real story.

Second, I'm happy you didn't give it a happy ending, cause the story turned out much better this way. The story almost brought tears to my eyes.

Also liked the flow of the story and don't have much critique on it, so job well done
TuneOut chapter 1 . 1/23/2009
I like the plot line of this story. I like how they met, and how they grew to love each other despite the times and circumstances.

You had problems with your grammar. A couple of stuff I spotted were:

"The family was ordered to step out, no, herded out, like cattle, serving no other purpose but to the slaughter." This sentence not only has tense changes but also is awkwardly phrased.

"He was young, this soldier, could not have been older than twenty five." Another sentence awkwardly phrased. I don't think you have to add "this soldier." It would have been better if there was an "and" where the phrase is.

There were other sentences that had grammar problems in the same vein as those.

Something I didn't understand was the door. I know that he found it somehow and that it was well hidden but if there's a doorknob, it seems like it'd be pretty easy to spot. It doesn't seem logical.

Nice job though.
hazuraina chapter 1 . 8/14/2008
Knowing me, you can guess that I thought he would kill the captain... but knowing you, I guess it's too much too hope for XD

Really beutiful and sad. Love it.