Reviews for Lifelike
Do Delete This Account chapter 22 . 3/17/2010
Really good story. I love how Nate's sad past is gradually revealed and how you depict his emotions and reasons for having become the way he is, and also the process as he wants to change/wakes up and starts living again. Beautiful story, I love it.
FlorVerde chapter 22 . 3/15/2010
Uhm... yeah, wow. Don't think I can be very articulate but... F*ck. I'm just, in awe of your portrayal of the deaf community and how Nathan, whose not deaf, interacts with it. My aunt is deaf but she went to 'normal' schools and doesn't speak sign language; she lip reads and is fluent in 3 languages. And I was very touched by the way you portrayed the situation because it's as if Nathan's the one with the 'handicap' because he's the one who doesn't necessarily understand. I love how your characters are flawed and realistic, and though I tend to find that too much drama kills the drama, I absolutely did not feel that way reading this story.

Not the first one I've read by you either; I also read With Intent which I absolutely loved, but I feel this one is more mature?

I don't know, but you definitely do right amazingly well, and should definitely try to get published.

Sorry, I'm not as good with words as you obviously are but the gist of it I've really read as much of a touching, well written story. Thank you so much for posting it :)
Cheesy Feet chapter 22 . 3/11/2010
I've just sat down and solidly read through this story and i have to say: WOW!

So many times I've nearly cried in laughter and in genuine saddness for 'Than' and 'Ewan'. The tragic undertone throughout the story is done SO WELL! It's not poke-you-in-the-face-until-your-sick-of-it or forgotten about and easily got over in chapter 2. It really reflects real life grieving and it's captured mesmerisingly (is that a word?) lol.

Second point, I love mix between humour and romance between 'Than, Ewan and Neil - it's not forced or rushed, a combination which seems to be most apparant in stories on fictionpress.

And the sign language? So well done. I love that 'Than hasn't been like *snaps fingers* 'I got it!' just for the convenience of the writer, but it's a slow, difficult learning process that reflects the learning of sign language in everyday life.

I just. There are no words. I am so overjoyed by finding this story and it has really made my day. I love it. Please continue and update soon! You are doing a FANTASTIC job so far. Kudos to you and in the words of 'Than - have a cup of tea.
theremaybeagodyahoo.com chapter 22 . 3/2/2010
I really admire how you weave the past with the present, actively maintaining both tenses. I have read what you have written multiple time, and each time it nearly moves me to tears and I find something I hadn't been aware of before. I appreciate your depth of character. As Neil is in the process of discovering Nathan, I am too; he is portrayed as a dynamic and believable person who is struggling to retake control of his life.

I am very interested to see how he overcomes this next obstacle, and how he incorporates Neil and Ewan into this process of putting a collection of works together to present Sam as both an artist and individual. I am interested to read if Nathan takes this process as a more private journey, or if he wants to introduce both Ewan and Neil to his memories of Sam. Thinking now, it might not be the best to load a grieving 11 year old with the baggage of a dead lover on top of dead parents.

I am also intrigued of the mention that perhaps Ewan's dad killed his mother? There was just one sentence that mentioned something about the fancy car and the driver, and it sounded like the crash was not an accident.

I just thought it was high time that I write a review, since I love reading this story SO much. Thanks Zebbie for sharing this with the world.
nennella chapter 22 . 2/28/2010
I'm so happy: you updated! It's a lovely chapter, the interaction between Than and Neil is so belivable. I just love how Neil handled Neil's insecurities. I really, really look forard to reading next chapter!
thistlepaws chapter 22 . 2/23/2010
I really like this story. At first I wasn't too keen on Than but I soon changed my mind and I love how Ewan and Neil are bringing him out of his self imposed exile and bringing him back to life.

I enjoyed Than's jealousy because it was so real. The whole - make me stop feeling jealous but don't do anything different - demand. Who hasn't been through that?

Since the story is told from the perspective of looking back I wonder sometimes how close we're getting to the present.

Anyway, I only discovered your work recently and am very happy you're updating this story and Mise en Place. Your work is so enjoyable.

Thanks & please keep writing.
Ann chapter 22 . 2/23/2010
I love this story! You have a wonderful way of conveying emotion through 'Than, and all of your characters are fantastically unique and flawed and human. Keep up the great work I can't wait for the next chapter. I'm really looking forward to the gallery showing and everyone's reactions to it!
magalina chapter 22 . 2/22/2010
Absolutely lovely, as always :)
Tinyyellowboxes chapter 1 . 2/21/2010
so cute that it breaks my heart a little every time you end a chapter.
Pundit chapter 22 . 2/20/2010
I am always amazed at your ability to write. It flows so well, it has depth. I love it (and I almost cried at the end. Aw).
MAGICAL.NARRATOR chapter 22 . 2/19/2010
Short, sweet and to the point. No fluffy details in this chapter but I actually think that for the content i this chapter, that was a wise decision. Jealousy is an ugly emotion, and you illustrated that beautifully. And you captured the root of the cause as well, which was his feeling of alienation.

And Neil warms up to me every chapter. I'll admit that i was quick to anger when he mentioned that he did in fact like people better than Than (sounds awkward lol "than Than"), but he quickly regained my heart with his follow-up statements about kissing and what-not. That just seems to be part of his character too. Just when you think he might be a smidgen of a jerk, he proves what a goodhearted character he really is.

great chapter!

[Oh and a side note: YOUR FRENCH MARTINI!...Huh? ... I feel kind of betrayed. Like it's only a matter of time before I find out that all the great slash writers are the same person. Or that your all actually robots or something. Are you also Nilah E. Rose by any chance, or Ree?... now would be the time to confess.]

[...and I effin LOVE Nerves. Oh lordy. It's strange to imagine all that awesome fluff is from the same brain as an equally awesome but about as-far-from-fluffy-as-you-can-get Mise en Place. Jeeze, your one of those people who are born to write aren't you? ...you brilliant mo' fo' you. ]
Mewenn chapter 22 . 2/18/2010
Well… it's short, but something important happen and I've let out far worse chapters. So I guess all in all it's okay. it gives us more informations about the way Than thinks (if you ever rewrite the story I'd put that bit as part of a bigger chapter if I were you).

Nothing to do with it, but after last chapter shouldn't you up the rating?
naraka chapter 22 . 2/17/2010
I liked this chapter since the main character acted spoiled with neil and was actually jealous of his friendly nature, it just show he cares and loves the other ;)

his and ewan's arrangement made me laugh, I mean, come on a later bus and don't talk to the kid at school unless it's him who comes to him? oh boy, so young and already worried about the image he'll get if people find out the other is his family and brings him to school :P

please update soon, I'm looking forward to next chapter!
SeveRemus chapter 22 . 2/17/2010
I guess it was good that Than griped about it right away... I would've expected him to hold it in and spiral down into misery, then Neil would've had to work harder at getting him back up. I mean, OUT. Aw, heck!

Anyhow, I'm just glad you updated! Hope the show of Sam's photos isn't too traumatic... Maybe it'll even help Ewan understand his uncle's pain.
Fantasy101 chapter 22 . 2/17/2010
Aw! I can't wait for more!
424 | « Prev Page 1 .. 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 .. Last Next »