Reviews for Almost Lover
Melissa chapter 1 . 8/10/2014
Hey there! This is Melissa from A Drop of Romeo here to let you know that a review for "Almost Lover" is up on our site. Congrats! Here's your review:

Melissa Thinks: My heart is breaking after reading this. The author has combined poetry and prose in this 6K word beauty. A SKOW challenge response, "Almost Lover" starts as a cute comfort and transforms into a small piece of melancholy. I don't quite know how I feel about the characters and the plot, except for the fact that I love them/it. It has so much meaning, and tells a beautiful story.
AlysonSerenaStone chapter 1 . 3/7/2014
I love this! SKoW has the most difficult challenges, but always allows for writers to produce the best results! I loved how emotional this was and I enjoyed the use of second person. It made me feel like Kelly was talking to me. Great work!
Damned to heaven chapter 1 . 8/27/2010
That was beautiful.

That bitter-sweet kinda beautiful.
Rachel chapter 1 . 4/3/2010
This was amazing,

you're captured something I thought left down in the depths of my heart.

I cried a waterfall, your words hit home.

I haven't thought about Luke in so long, I crumbled..Almost Lover is the song I relate to Luke and I, then..I read your one-shot.

It was beautiful and worth the tears.

-Rachel.
Jasmini chapter 1 . 2/20/2010
i feel the need to review this story now because i remember when i first read it about a year ago. I had just confessed my feelings to a guy I was sure I was in love with. I carried this crush on him for years and then when i told him, he blew me off. I thought he would at least reject me graciously but i was wrong. I then realized I never even knew him, and was in love with this unrealistic, perfect version of him. But of course it still hurt, but i refused to cry. I didn't want to give him the satisfaction. So I bottled up my feelings and then about a week later i read your story...and i cried so hard. It was beautiful and touching and really it was the catharsis i needed. Thanks to you I listened to and fell in love with "Almost Lover" I spent the night after reading your story listening to the song on repeat and was able to cry and the next day I felt so...free. Your story helped me move on with my life. Thank you.
Music's Bittersweet Flow chapter 1 . 10/24/2009
Such a complicated, twisted love story.
Wicky chapter 1 . 7/10/2009
I liked this one, even listened to the song. The dancing theme was very well done. Thank you!
kissmesober chapter 1 . 7/3/2009
So I'm in love with you.

I love this song so much. Bye A Fine Frenzy right? The whole time I was reading the story I was singing the song haha. Seriously this song is so hauntingly beautiful, and I love your story.

I actually really do love the way you've interpreted the song, and sort of mixed it around a little. Really it's beautiful, and inspiring, and the way you've made the whole story like a "dance", I love that :)

All in all I just love the piece. Great work!

AsianFlipGurl chapter 1 . 7/1/2009
That was so sweet, in a sad way. Personally, I loved it.
Day2Dreamer chapter 1 . 5/25/2009
I cried so hard.

I seriously haven't cried like that in a while, but I think I'm feeling a little hormonal and tired - and this story just struck such a chord with me, what with love just not being enough in the end, and the way your broken relationships change you, and things being what you need and yet not, and just... *sob*!

I know it's silly to thank someone for writing a story they were going to write anyway, and which they wanted to write for themselves (much less a story which was written pretty much a year ago), but thank you for writing this - it was cathartic in a way, and mightily depressing in another, but reading it was ... I'm struggling to think of the right word.. it was enjoyable and entertaining, but I'd have to attach deeper, less light-hearted meanings of the words to that description. It was touching, but without the sense of "aw" and relating-to-the-unknown that I would normally associate with the word (I'm not entirely sure that makes sense)..

Either way, it was wonderful.

I loved the way you managed to point out the things Kelly didn't like about Cameron (like his teeth).. even though writing about those things were pretty much an obvious thing for the story, it made it seem so much more realistic, because after all, no one's perfect!

I also loved the way you wrote the story - using "I" and "you" and "me" to really convey the personal thoughts of the story... That style put me off slightly when I started reading the beginning of the story, but it was easy enough to get used to, and created a wonderful atmosphere very, very quickly.

I also liked the bit in which you added her thoughts in brackets:

"You said that you couldn’t play my game anymore (what game? This was a dance), and that you wanted out of this, out of your and my relationship (what happened to “our” relationship?)."

Her internal protests to his excuses were the perfect touch, and (since I'm personally assuming she didn't voice these thoughts - sorry if I've interpreted it incorrectly!) made the whole scenario even sadder.

Anyway, I've spent a while now trying to word this review - I'm gonna head off, and I hope you've been enjoying life as much as possible. Well done on this amazing piece of work - take care!
mythee chapter 1 . 5/19/2009
This is A-MA-ZING! I have so much to say that this review might turn into a story itself.

I know the song and love the song. The story created a mini movie in my head and I could picture every emotion with the dancing (perfect analogies by the way) and that beautiful song playing in the background.

It's a really realistic relationship, it's like you added another dimension to the typical love stories on here. People usually end their stories when the couples became 'official' said the L word. This was so much more!

Although I love it, I couldn't understand/relate to some of the concepts in here (but that's just me).

mythee
DOLCEVITA chapter 1 . 2/15/2009
This was beautiful! I can't believe I just discovered this now, but this was really beautifully written! It was so heart wrenching to read because it's so easy to relate to!
fymd-mk chapter 1 . 1/27/2009
wow...just wow, that was completely amazing. you've rendered me speechless here, i'd never heard the song but i turned it on while reading and it was perfect and the entire story was just plain perfect. its a real bittersweet one, it was heartbreaking and wonderful and almost made me cry because i know exactly that point of view. anyways, loved it :)
i-aspire chapter 1 . 1/17/2009
wow. this is a really good story. i dont often read stories that are this good. but this sent shivers down my spine, it's that good. i found it on the SKoW website and it is by far the best i've read :)

xx

aussie-crazy-banana
paradiie chapter 1 . 1/15/2009
i guess it's better to have loved once than to never have loved at all.