Reviews for Justice and Eternity
SirScott chapter 1 . 8/13/2008
I know that in the occult Lucifer is the teacher of wisdom and he considered a hero for teaching Adam and Eve the knowledge of good and evil. You cover a lot of material here, I haven't heard that the book of Job is now being considered a work of fiction. For those who state don't really know the purpose of mythology, which is to teach inward spiritual realities and to give an "accurate" account of historical events.

You left out covering the idea of resurrection of the body and all of that. St. Paul's writings reflect the belief of a physical resurrection and at the end of time Hell is cast into a Lake of Fire.

In early Christian teaching it is taught that when Jesus died that he went to hell and got the keys to the the gates of hell.

Of course, you raise a lot of sticky issues such as free will, justice, and eternity. At least in the issue of eternal life, I agree that you have the free will to chose God or not to chose God. I do believe that God does have people that he loves more than others, as he bless some people more than others. What determines justice or in other words what is a just sentence? If a man does a thousand evil acts and twenty good acts does he deserve hell? And if a man does a thousand good acts and twenty evil ones does he deserve heaven? Then you have to factor in beliefs. If a man does a thousand good acts and twenty bad ones, and is not a Christian, he deserves hell. If a man does a thousand evil acts and twenty good acts, and is a Christian, he deserves Heaven or at least he has a shot at Heaven under the Catholic belief system. So the good man has no chance of Heaven and the evil man has a chance at Heaven, because of what he believes. Some people, such as Benjamin Franklin, cried that that was unjust. What is just and unjust isn't so easy to determine. Another thing to consider is, can good exist without evil and likewise? They are interdependent on each other. How would you know what love is, if you never experienced hate? The argument that hell exists based on justice alone is a weak argument. The argument that hell exists, because Holy Writ and tradition says it does is a stronger argument for the existence of hell. Overall, this is a good essay, but this a topic if covered very fully would end up being a thousand or more essays. Good food for thought.

SirScott
GriffinKnight77 chapter 1 . 8/6/2008
This is a very well-written paper. You are well-researched and knowledgeable.

I, however, disagree with you. I do not believe in Hell. Normally, I am a ferocious debater, but since this topic is more based on philosophy and religion than facts, I will be more diplomatic.

First off, your envision of Hell is that it is a place where God does not exist. It is a place that lacks His presence. A reasonable explanation. However, I believe that God is everything and that he is everywhere, so nowhere is devoid of his presence.

Secondly, I believe that humans, or all life for that matter, is composed of two parts: the flesh and the Spirit. The flesh is tangible and part of the earth. The Spirit is not. The Spirit, or soul if you want to call it, is God. We are God, and God is us. I believe that, through death, our Spirit transcends earth and returns to God. If there was Hell, then our flesh couldn't go there - it stays on earth in the coffin - our Spirit would. And why would God want to punish Himself? Why would he punish the Spirit for what the flesh did?

The thought of punishment by God is also a bit of an issue for me. His love is unconditional - no matter what you do or who you are, God will love you. How could a God claim to love everyone but then damn them to Hell? I also find that, after Jesus' crusification, Hell's purpose would have been lost. He gave his life to save us from sin, right?

I also, frankly, don't believe in Heaven, either. I think that when we die, we are reborn, maybe not in this world but another, for the universe is a world of infinite worlds. In order for there to be consciousness and reality, there must exist two opposites. For example, white cannot exist without black. Light cannot exist without dark. Heat cannot exist without cold. To know love, you must also know hate. So, in Heaven, if there was no pain, suffering, or sadness, there would be no way of knowing happiness, joy, and peace. Thus I don't believe in Heaven.

Back to the Hell thing, though, I think the concept of Hell seems like a tool of vengeance, not justice. People want to believe that those who do bad things to them will be punished. In my view of God, though, He doesn't seek vengeance and He doesn't hate. When I think of God, I don't even think of a big guy upstairs. To me, God is not a person, He is not a place, he is not a thing. God simply IS.

Anyways, your paper was very interesting. Feel free to reply with whatever comments you may have.