Reviews for Damn Pens! a eulogy: a writer's journey
raineyday chapter 1 . 8/28/2008
Wow. The whole time I was reading this, all I could think was, "GAH, I've been there!" Your use of detail (for example, the penis enlargement adverts) was what really made the connection, I think. I was in a similar community (although I think it was quite a bit smaller than yours), and the same sort of thing happened. You just immediately took me back with this essay; awesome work.

Also! The use of quotes from ex-members is really, really nifty. It helps heighten the sense of community that DP! used to have. So, I really liked that.

Overall, fabulous essay and a bit of a tearjerker. It's never fun to see stuff like this happen, and your last little section really got to me. Great writing!
Radyn chapter 1 . 8/27/2008
"There is only one thing you should do. Go into yourself. Find out the reason that commands you to write; see whether it has spread its roots into the very depths of your heart; confess to yourself whether you would have to die if you were forbidden to write. This most of all: ask yourself in the most silent hour of your night: must I write? Dig into yourself for a deep answer. And if this answer rings out in assent, if you meet this solemn question with a strong, simple "I must," then build your life in accordance with this necessity"

-Rilke, Letter to a Young Poet

I do like this essay. Very solid, poignant, reflective. You know, back in the day, FP had its own little community in the Essay section where we'd just debate and critique the pressing issues of the time. What you say rings true. Most of us were just in it as a hobby, and we moved on as we grew up and things changed. That's just the way it is.