Reviews for Dear Reverend
aberlemno chapter 9 . 9/29/2008
Oh okay. Just torture us a bit more, why don't you? :p

Do you know where this is all going to end up, or is it still a bit of a mystery to you too? In fact, you'd probably better not tell me.

I like the way Vernon talks... and I probably only have sympathy for him cos he's not telling what he's done.
S. M. Saves chapter 9 . 9/25/2008
I like the use of expanded vocabulary. A few spelling errors are creeping in. They tend to be more obvious is the shorter chapters so make sure you take the time in future chapters to go through and edit carefully.

I also like how the personalities of the characters come out in their writings.

Well done.
S. M. Saves chapter 1 . 9/25/2008
This is such a good start. It was gruesome but the narrator's attitude was so carefree that it made it funny. I couldn't help but laugh.

No visible/obvious grammatical or spelling errors. (That's always a good thing). Nice job.
aberlemno chapter 8 . 9/15/2008
'But it never gets lonely, if you can catch my meaning."

No... Don't believe I do, sir. :)

You're very good at creating the mystery here... I will also be waiting.
fluidwriter chapter 7 . 9/8/2008
Lol. I like the last chapter, it was funny to me. Why? I do not know. Good job, Landcaster
aberlemno chapter 7 . 9/7/2008
:) ... And the plot continues to thicken.

"but Vernon, I’m in a spot, a real rough one." I love the way the people talk in this. And I want to know what Vernon knows!
fluidwriter chapter 5 . 9/3/2008
Another good chapter I must say. Vernon seems like he's hiding something; something of his and Ed's past, it seems. Vernon doesn't seem like a guilty man or maybe I could be reading him wrong, of course. I assume that at the process of Michelle and the kids leaving Ed, he'd caught them in the act, therefore killing them. I will like to see some of Ed's background but that may be in later chapters, right? lol. Anyway, Good job. I will be looking out when you update again.
aberlemno chapter 3 . 9/1/2008
Aww :( She's in total denial. And has unconsciously symbolic spelling mistakes? "It would be unseaming for us..." Or am I reading too much into it?

Anyway, multiple viewpoints is always interesting. Is it gonna go all 'Confessions of a Justified Sinner' on us? I can hardly wait :)

I like the police report as well. You think it's some clear perspective in amongst the characters and their various delusions but, then again, the police have never exactly been infallible. And Artemis Pickens is an excellent name. I love some of those American names...
Koki Enwai chapter 4 . 9/1/2008
Interesting. I like how this chapter was written out as a police report; it does a good job of summarizing what we know about Edward and the entire situation.

Can't wait for more!

- Koki
fluidwriter chapter 4 . 8/31/2008
Oh! I was really shocked by the fourth chapter. So he murdered his family, eh? I can't help to think that the reverend and Vernon Townsend was in cahoots with Edward. I will learn soon or later. Good job with these two chapters.
fluidwriter chapter 2 . 8/30/2008
This very good so far; chilling as a horror story should be. Good job.
aberlemno chapter 1 . 8/28/2008
Just when you think you have a killer that's not obsessed with their mother, there she is...

I like that the killer isn't remorseful but isn't over-dramatically cold and evil either. Not giving us any of the back story is good as well, it makes you think more about the scene... Even though there may not be any reason as to why he killed these people there must be a reason why he's writing to the reverend. I'm thinking of some sort of old inbred English village style scenario, but that's just me.

Also unusual that he thinks he has to (or even could) make up for it with good work. The usual thing with killers is they're either portrayed as totally remorseful and convinced they're going to hell, or they think they've done what God wants by killing sinners, or they just don't care. Maybe this guy's being sarcastic and he doesn't care either.

I don't know if this killer's in any of your other stories, I'll have to go and have a look. But I'd be interested to know what period he's living in. The fact the Reverend is the one he writes to makes me think he's from an old-fashioned, if not actual old, community. The "I mean..." for some reason sounds more modern to me ( but I have read nothing written after the 1660s for the past couple of weeks so I may be a bit skewed on what's 'modern.' I'm thinking the shotguns are modern!)

The sentence that really gets you is "They certainly do not make keys like that anymore, as you well know, Reverend." He knows enough about the Reverend to know what he thinks about keys. Either they are old friends and the Reverend didn't know he was a killer, or they're in this together, or ... I don't know what, but this really does show that less is more.

When Midsomer Murders get in touch wanting to use this for an episode, ignore them and hold out for better money :D
Koki Enwai chapter 1 . 8/27/2008
Brilliant. I like the idea of this. I'd hate to be the reverend that got that letter. . . And the ease with which the killer told all the details - chilling!

- Koki