Reviews for The Last Days of Udil Dakon
Solemn Coyote chapter 3 . 8/31/2008
This is probably the most anthropological story I have every read on ficpress. That said, on with the review.

1)"which threw off the year so badly that the dwarves abandoned their traditional calendar around our year 268" nice detail

2)"For further reading on the subject of ancient dwarven timekeeping, please refer to Stone Circles and Silk Shrouds: a Study on Dwarven religion and Iconography, a fabulous resource written by my colleague and friend Casot Bilnisam." You do a great job of characterizing the narrator as a stodgy professor.

3)This is kinda interesting reading. It's partly dry, and partly really interesting. Basically, it feels like a well-written text book. And while I would not normally seek something like that out, I'm certainly going to press on with this story.

-SC
Solemn Coyote chapter 2 . 8/31/2008
I see you've posted the edited intro. Which means it's time for me to start reviewing.

1) ...First paragraph sounds like the intro to an essay. I feel like this story would be a lot more humorous if it was written as some kid's term paper instead of a textbook. Then again, that might lose it some of its epic feel.

2) Actually, I haven't got all that much to say about the foreword (it's misspelled in the chapter selection tab.) The tone of the writing is consistent. There are a lot of mumbly names of places and people. The writing is a little dry, but that should contrast nicely with later chapters.

-SC