Reviews for The Mirror Appeal of Dysfunction Heroics
the Karaoke Sword chapter 2 . 4/23/2009
aha! i love this story so far

kinda reminds me of Terry Pratchet, with the lovely satire

i also really like the idea of making fun of the traditional epic concept of heroism; i am guilty of occasionally doing it myself.

the only error i've spotted so far is at the end of this chapter: "They're put us up for the remainder of the night."

should be "They'll put us up"

other than that, nada

congrats!

i shall read on...
Tawny Owl chapter 9 . 1/17/2009
It was a slow chapter, but it will be interesting to see how Ashe copes with wearing a dress.

An intiguing way to finish as well. And it was enlightening to kearn a bit more about Archer and how he feels about Thades.

Lookking forward to the next chapter.
Dellarose chapter 9 . 1/4/2009
Yay, I love you! I think the chapter title was very appropriate, and I agree, characters need to take a breather every so often. I know I need to take one once every 54 seconds. I also really like Archer. Not so much that I’m saying he should become, like, a principle character with his own story spin-off and a dozen or so sequels, but he’s nice for a little comic relief, a little plot movin’ too. And oh, to the omniscient narrator, please accept my marriage proposal. :D It’s so funny sometimes.

On a final note, I need to hire a translator to read what’s at the top. To google, awaayy!
Tawny Owl chapter 8 . 1/4/2009
You update way too quick, how do you do that?

Archer sounds intriguing, and I'm not sure what to make of him. I really liked the naked exercises though - it tells you a lot about a person. It was good to have Eden and Ashe burst in on him though: I do find that I start to mis them.

Loved the image of the sign of death made with the jam. Amusing, and practical.

You're right - there has to be a princess, and it looks like she is going to be a bit more dangerous than your average spoilt brat as well. Looking forward to seeing if her bites s worse as her bark.
RimJobsareGR8 chapter 9 . 1/1/2009
first off, you've revealed the most important piece of information in the story: Thades and Hyrule Castle Town must have a trade relationship! It must be true, since fine Hyrulian Petal Dance oil is available in bath houses! Maybe the king of Hyrule and the former president were friends!

Archer is developing good. I originally thought he was an usurper, and perhaps killed or commissioned the death of his brother to be able to take up the office, perhaps by parliamentary appointment. But, looks like he's a good-guy! Well, he might be a bad guy, but at least he cares about Thades!

*GASP!* Ashe in a dress? Not expected! But, she has to blend in, so good for her!

Good chapter! One spelling error I noticed, and a big grammar jumble, but of course, that doesn't matter because you're carrying the story triumphantly! *Applause*
RandomActs chapter 9 . 1/1/2009
Nothing like a good bath. Where is the creepy lady Princess?

Archer is somewhat of a dandy, should be interesting to see what you do with him. More please!
RandomActs chapter 8 . 1/1/2009
I absolutely love the physical descriptions in this chapter! I wanted to be in that bedroom! Still do! You shine the best in all your stories when you do this! Looking forward to more. I was a little slow in warming up to this story but it seems to be heating up.
gold against the soul chapter 1 . 12/27/2008
Might I begin by saying that Ashless Reprieve is one of the best names I've heard in a very long while? Excellent, excellent. I am also very enamoured with this beginning - the wry narrator, the neat contrast between our two protagonists. I am very eager to read on and shall do so at the earliest opportunity!

GATS
Tawny Owl chapter 7 . 12/27/2008
Still loving the humour in this. Espeacially the way Eden not being able to work out why he's running to save someone he doesn't like.

Nice to see comments from th narrator again as well.

All the action was very vivid as well, and Ashe being a Wrath makes sense: it would explain why she is so prickly all the time.
Dellarose chapter 8 . 12/21/2008
I was a little confused in the beginning, but I could dig it. And then he took off his robe, "revealing a toned, naked body." And then I laughed to high heavens with tears coming to my eyes. I likes him. Only you would have naked dawn rituals in your story. :D

Funny quotes!

"oaf of a nephew," "dead plum on my face," "strangulation on his mind," "What the f—," "Plum jam? Was this stranger actually spreading plum jam around a dead body, into his expensive carpet?"

Hahaha, sacred rituals with plum jam.

Ahh, it scared me when they died. But hey, apparently Eden is crazy special, huh? THAT'S cool.

"The symbol of death, etched in plum jelly." That is a particularly great quote. It goes on my great wall of great quotes, I believe.

And finally, that princess. Ek! I smell a riveting plot on the horizon! Huzzah! We love you too, Flying Onion Girl!
RimJobsareGR8 chapter 8 . 12/20/2008
Nice chapter! The president is quite an eccentric fellow! Not many of the world's presidents are nudists! I would have liked more description of the palace, and the view of Thades. You could have spoken a lot more of the city from above. Think Hong Kong, you just couldn't describe the view from the peak of Victoria in so little words. But, you did show the grandeur of the palace, so good job on that. The only problem is I have no idea where the princess fits in on all of this. As you mention Thades being a republic-federalist like republic having a president, I don't know why she would be there at all. Of course, maybe she was kidnapped by the republic from the land of Ganja, and is being held hostage in the palace? Or, more likely, she travelled from Ganja to Thades after her presumed-father the king was slain, on a sort of diplomatic mission. Please elaborate on the princess in the next chapter. Since Thades appears to be a republic, it is unlikely that it would have a royal/imperial family. Of course, this is your world, so maybe they have some form of constitutional monarchy set up. Please explain the government structure in the next chapter if this is the case. I am quite confused. Good chapter though! Looks like Eden is a curious little cat, snooping around in Presidential palaces.
Tawny Owl chapter 6 . 12/20/2008
Another amusing chapter. I find this really easy to read and always want more when I get to the end.

I’m fascinated by Ransom. Are his mood swings down to how he reacts to how other people are feeling. I must admit that commenting on Ashe’s femininity was a fantastic way to make her storm off in a huff.

Eden’s line about Ashe not being able to love anything with a pulse was good too
Dellarose chapter 7 . 12/17/2008
AMAZING DELLA REVIEW OF IN-DEPTNESS!

"'Ashe,' Eden whispered, breathlessly." Aw, Eden and Ashe sitting in a tree. Oh god, new favorite couple alert. I will call them Ashen, in regards to that weird current trend of morphing celebrity couple's names together-thing.

"he slowed his hurried canter to a purposeful trot." So dies Ashen.

"Though it would have amused your illustrious narrator mightily otherwise..." To be frank, I love what an asshole the narrator is. His/Her omniscient sarcasm pleases me.

"nasty yellow fluid lashed her in the face" Nasty indeed! :O

"Ashe had Wrath blood in her." Ohh, I like little magic realism twists. The whole idea of a Holy is really cool too. Every time you call Eden that, I'm like "Whoo, he's not just holy, he's A holy."

"great sores erupted on its skin until it fell into the sludge" Double nasty! :O

"warmth spread all along his left arm" Noo. She's destroying all possibilities of Ashen.

"the flesh became completely free and landed in the water with a splash" NastyXthree.

"It’s time to die." Okay, this is completely random, but in school I took a course on the movie Blade Runner and there was an entire class spent on a quote from the movie which was "Wake up. It's time to die." We dissected the crap out of it. It's a very profound statement. :)

Yaay! It was a very ACTIONy chapter. I liked it. In fact, I like this story a lot. YOUGOTSTOFINISHSIFITZTHOUGH. And then I like plenty-o-sequels. But this is definitely nice and I want to read moorree. Live long and prosper, little story. :D
RimJobsareGR8 chapter 7 . 12/16/2008
Pretty good. pretty good. Although, I would have appreciated more detail on the part of the monster. But, still really good!
RandomActs chapter 7 . 12/15/2008
Very strong images, I could almost see it in comic book form! In fact I would love to see this illustrated (hint,hint). Can't wait for more!~ Love the surprise element of Randoms physical nature-looks to be a very complicated little group!
39 | Page 1 .. Last Next »