Reviews for A Suitable Lover
ImmanenceEnsured chapter 17 . 3/21
I hate everyone in this story. Everyone, except Skip. They're horrible people who would be shocked if they stopped congratulating themselves for a moment and took the time to discover how ugly they really are inside. Who do they think they are to neglect, even after years have gone by, finding the real cause of the problem they all love hating Skip for. These fucking people... bunch of useless friends is what they are. And useless human beings. I can say this, because I know they'll all get an ending far more happy than they deserve at this stage in their lives, and because this is fiction anyway.
Guest chapter 10 . 1/5
Damn, I can relate.
Pantu chapter 21 . 8/14/2013
Hmm, I have decidedly mixed feelings on finishing this. On one hand I thoroughly enjoyed 'A suitable lover' because it was generally well writen, nicely paced, I liked the MC's and it had a well developed supporting cast. I enjoyed Skip's story and you had a nice amount of tension and angst that just kept me clicking the next chapter button until some ungodly hour of last night. But there were a few points that have left me feeling a little mixed now I've finished.

I found the frequent POV switches between quite so many characters a little frustrating. Even though you made a point to clarify in the first sentance when you switched I still found it disarming and I frequently had to re-read a couple of paragraphs to double check who I was reading through. And to be honest I just didn't like or care about many of the supporting characters enough to enjoy reading their sections/problems.
I loved Skip as a charcter, I thought he was cute and brilliantly flawed, and his issues were perfectly balanced against Marcus's own problems making for some great angst. I did feel in places that the level of angst got a little excessive - I felt that some of the jumping to conclusions and such in the later half were a little out of character as i had understood them. While I enjoyed the chaos of the party scene with everyone looking for everyone I did feel like it was a bit ...forced perhaps, is anyone's apartment really that complicated?
Last night I managed to stop reading at the chapter where Skip and Marcus finally got together. And I found the last section lacked some of the engament of the first half. And I get why you would want to tie up the stuff with Skip's parents, but it all felt a little rushed. And that's left me with a kind of sad feeling after finishing a story that I mostly enjoyed.

Please don't take this the wrong way, I think the fact I stayed up so late reading this should tell you more about how much I enjoyed it rather than a couple of points to a story that's clearly had a lot of love and respect since it was completed. But you've given me honest feedback and I wanted to repay the favour, and I generally only write extended reviews on work I liked reading.
Thanks for sharing.
-Pantu
Trillpuv chapter 21 . 4/10/2013
I'm not entirely certain what my feelings about this story are. On one hand, your characters, the main couple at least, have understandable issues and phobias that they both work through together (which of course is fluffy and sweet and everything sparkly about the world). However. Everyone else. Oh my god. I don't think I've ever come across a story in which nearly every single character was so dislikable. They were not sympathetic in any way, and it sort of felt like the universe was conspiring against Skip. Dywane, Simon, Gabe, SKIP'S PARENTS FOR GODSSAKE, all of them were completely irrational (and not even in an understandable way, just irrationally stupid) in their behavior towards Skip. Even Patrick near the end, which I was especially disappointed about since he seemed like a such a cool guy. At least there was Marcus, or I think I might have strangled something or someone.

Okay, well, rant over. In any case, I suppose you could take the fact that this review is so long as a compliment. ;P If getting under readers' skins was your intention, you have succeeded admirably.
opelleam chapter 21 . 2/8/2013
Nice story
shyd1 chapter 21 . 8/1/2012
This is the second time I've read this, and I spent all night reading it nonstop!
There's something about the series of unfortunate events that is Skip's life that makes it so hard to stop reading. I just really, really wanted him to have some happiness. I actually wish the story stretched on a few more chapters just to show this. Extended fluffy resolutions for the win!
Great story!
i-wish-i-had-wings chapter 21 . 5/5/2012
i disliked a lot of the characters, but i really hated gabe, i hope karma hits him HARD! abandoning your bestfriend without even asking for his side? and how he treated him! did he actually know skip had a little sister too? i'd love to get five minutes alone with him and a baseball bat! such a DISGUSTING character, been a long time since i was this pissed xD

i love skip, i just wish he would've stood up for himself, he wouldn't get in so much trouble if he did! i can't understand how he could get expelled though, there was no evidence and dwayne (was that his name?) never accused him? i'm so glad he has marcus, he needs a knight )

all of your characters had flaws, i loved it! made them more real. i just wish gabe would have been dealt with..
In2lalaland chapter 1 . 4/24/2012
This was one very amazing story. I'm really impressed by your characters and the story line. Thank you for a good read :)
enblackink chapter 21 . 4/15/2012
from the get-go i was completely on Skip's side and it really didn't matter what anybody'd claimed he'd done. that's really good characterization. the cast was really well done - especially Simon's circle (including Patrick) who was likeable but somehow still had an inner were-douche that showed itself in regards to Skip like the poor boy was their personal full moon. every last single one of them deserved to be cut. but i may be biased because i know real life people who won't defend themselves no matter the allegation - whether it's ultimately their parents' fault for never believing in them at all or not. the name of the town could have been Irony. and i like that even though there is no real resolution for every problem in Skip's life, and even though he never realized his role was not what he thought, he still ends up happy and with a suitable lover. so. entertaining. i enjoyed reading. great story.
Honunjama chapter 21 . 1/22/2012
All in all, I really enjoyed this. It was neat and well thought out.

I guess my only comment is that initially Skip didn't seem quite so emotionally broken and needy in the first few chapters as he did in the later ones, and I felt like I was missing something.

Anyway, thanks for sharing this.

Suki
Honunjama chapter 9 . 1/17/2012
Oh, this is such a great read!

I think what I like best are the subtle intricacies of the plot, how the characters seem about to collide and then veer off at the last moment. I thought the part where Skip didn't know it was Marcus he was communicating with and Marcus didn't know it was Skip, was really well done.

And I think the idea of Skip's sketchbook (of lovers he wants to exorcise) is really poignant.

Really enjoying it and looking forward to the rest.

Suki .
JHeartbreak chapter 21 . 10/26/2011
This is a very well executed story. I found the characters well sketched and easily distinguishable from each other. The plotting was tight without feeling contrived. Skip's terribly low self-esteem was handled well - In other stories, like the Rubaiyat or No for an answer, the low self-esteem overshadowed the central relationship, but here it works. I think things would have been more powerful if skip was allowed some kind of catharsis at the end, where he gets to work out his demons. Overall, a very good story.
JudasMonster chapter 20 . 7/13/2011
I forgot to bitch about the characters.

The parents (Skip's): Wtf is wrong with these people? Throwing him out and then saying he left on purpose? Hiding all that stuff from him? God. They treat him like shit (but who doesn't. Ahaha.).

Devyne/Gabe: Oh wow. Devyne would answer Gabe's phone and pretend to be him? That's fucking weird. I hope Gabe leaves him one day; just like he fears. And god, Gabe? You little shit. Skip was like what? 14/15? You got everyone believing Skip was some sort of rapist and you basically ruined many of his relationships. Then you have the gall to punch him? Lawl.

Simon: Really? You kick Skip out without him explaining himself to you? Yet you keep Parris around? Wtf? Ik Skip tends to run away from things, but you should've kknown and pursued him. Keeping all his shit too? Wow... And the way you worked him the last few chapters... He's your employee, not a slave. (Or is Skip just too meek to talk about his work load?)

Parris: Sexual deviant who fucked up Skip's relationship. You had a "plan" to get them back together after getting what you wanted from Skip? Despicable. As if your plan was justification.

Roxy: You stupid bitch. You hold a grudge on Skip for no particular reason? Wow...

Eh, I'm done. Can't remember any other characters my fingers hurt. Typed out 1400 characters on my phone...

JudasMonster chapter 21 . 7/13/2011
Aha, I like how your writing sounds so cynical, almost sarcastic.

I thought there was a lot of action but not a lot of emotional stuff.

Isn't that kinda cliche? Ending the story with promises of future sexual endeavors? Lol.

I wish there were more chapters that played on Skip's inferiority complex and how it made him feel. Meh.

I must be retarded. I assumed both charactrs were middle class white males up till the parents visit...

Skip's grooming practices are quite fascinating to say the least. (in reference to his ministrations prior to meeting Marcus's parents)

Writing seemed stiff and unemotional, idk.. Maybe I'm just too lovey-dovey and ignorant about how the world works.

Oh my poor idealistic views of humanity and love.

Now I'm just rambling...

JudasMonster chapter 16 . 7/13/2011
Ooh. At first I thought Roxy was going to fuck everything up by taking the letter and pictures, but she's not, right?

She's gonna show em off at the gallery and Skip will become an artist or someshit to fix his uneployment dilemma? Or maybe to show off his talent/feelings whatever.

God, I'm a genius _