Reviews for A Suitable Lover
frolic-horror chapter 21 . 5/13/2010
Somehow up till the last few chapters I had no clue Marcus was anything but caucasian. You probably called him dark skninned but I thought you meant it as "more tanned skin tone"... Well, not that it matters that much (just that it messed up my mental image of the characters).

Anyway... an addicting read, with lots of twists and turns and some lines that I loved a lot. Made me feel like drawing and shearching wiki for some of the topics they were discussing :) Must give you extra points for that (educative component :P). I like how you wrote it (with lines such as "what will lead to a black eye and an unwanted kiss" (or something like that - didn't search for the exact quote - you know what I mean).
miraakira chapter 21 . 4/18/2010
i really liked this story but i think there could have been so much more. the ending left me empty. it's like i don't know what to think of skip and marcus' relationship. i don't knoe, i just wish there was more.
Epic Scarf chapter 21 . 1/25/2010
Fantastic job... I loved it.
Liviania chapter 21 . 1/22/2010
Excellent, twisty story. I kind of like that the "big incident" is that nothing happened - and of course nobody would believe nothing happened, so they all made up their own stories.

There are a few loose threads, like Gabe and Dwayne's relationship. (On top of the problems they were having, does Gabe know Dwayne prevented Skip and Simon from reaching closure?) Nothing that can't be worked out in a rewrite.

And who doesn't like a happy ending?

Livi
KerP chapter 21 . 1/6/2010
I found your stories yesterday and have been reading ever since. I genuinely liked the style and depth of the other stories I read before I started reading this one. I think maybe I got too drawn in by the characters- Skip especially- that the non-closure and the shallowness of the other characters really frustrated me. But I wanted to know what happened,so I stuck till the end. I read the note on the profile page afterwards, which maybe I should have done earlier on. I think there was a lot more non-deserving angst than I could handle. I can't say I liked the story overall, but I know if you redo parts of it I will definitely read it.
Kylie chapter 21 . 12/6/2009
Prepare yourself. I feel like I've invested so much of myself in this story emotionally, and now that it's ended, I feel kind of let down. The story seems to have no real sense of closure; it just doesn't feel finished. But I'll get to that in a minute.

First, Skip's encounter with his parents confused me. I'm a little biased, but it sounds to me like his parents are just making excuses for choosing his brother over him. We had to consider Stevie. Of course, the child of both of them instead of the product of a youthful mistake, so he's worth a lot more.

And everything his mother said about how he broke poor Simon's heart. Of course, no one bothered to find out why he might have cheated on Simon, instead they blame him. Simon doesn't deserve to be hurt again. While that might be true, she's never even considered Skip's feelings, like it doesn't matter if he gets hurt so long as someone else's feelings are spared. Unbelievable.

Speaking of Simon, while I'm glad he and Skip had their talk and things are more or less resolved between them, they never talked about how Skip dropped out of school and left everything behind. Why reveal that Gabe was being spiteful and overprotective, what else is new, and deliberately hiding the fact that Skip wanted to try to talk to Simon if it wasn't going anywhere?

I also feel really really cheated. There should have been a confrontation or at the very least, a real conversation, between Skip and Dwayne and Gabe. At this point, we don't even know if Gabe still thinks Skip tried to rape his boyfriend! All we know is that Dwayne feels not one bit, not one little iota, of guilt over what happened to Skip! He still thinks he's justified in disliking him! What the fuck is wrong with him? Excuse my language, please.

So sorry for the long ranting review. Please write a continuation or an epilogue or something. You can't just end the story there.
Kylie chapter 15 . 12/6/2009
Yes, it's me again. I'll keep this review short and simple. Patrick, you disappoint me. I thought you really cared about Skip and you were the one person in his life who wouldn't judge him and act like you're too good for him. Et tu, Brute?
Kylie chapter 14 . 12/6/2009
So I left a review on the last chapter, where I said Dwayne needed to die. I haven't changed my mind about that part, just so you know, but I do want to apologize. I'm sorry I sounded so antagonistic and bitter. I just feel like someone should get angry on Skip's behalf. In his world, nothing is ever anyone else's fault, he's the one in the wrong, one hundred percent of the time. It kills me.

And I like Patrick a lot less than usual in this chapter. He knows what Skip is like and yet on the phone, he talked to him like he was sick of him. In Skip's mind, everyone in his life (rightfully) hates him and Patrick is the only one he's close to, but now that he's dating Skip's ex and hanging out with his ex-friends, he's learned what Skip is really like and no longer wants to be his friend. "I don't have time to see you afterwards. I'm going to a movie with my friends." He might as well have added, to which you're not invited, because you're no longer one of them. He might not have meant it that way, but he had to have known that's what Skip would think.

He can be such an idiot. I alternatively feel like I want to give Skip a hug yet I also want to deck him, sometimes at the same time.
Kylie chapter 13 . 12/6/2009
You know, if I weren't afraid of pain and blood and of hurting my precious computer, I'd put my fist through the screen because that's the closest I'd ever get to punching Dwayne's lights out. I've never heard of a more selfish disgusting self-serving prick in my life. He holds a grudge against Skip for ten years, give or take, because "he was in the way"! He ruins the guy's life, takes away his best friend, all his other friends, the love and trust of his parents, gets him expelled from school and he never even apologizes or feels the slightest bit of remorse.

Instead, he's such a dick he can't even hold a civil conversation with the guy and he breaks his nose because he knows Skip's a fucking self-flagellating martyr with no backbone to speak of and "he should have done it ten years ago". AND he has the nerve to act like he's the victim with his nightmares and panic attacks when he sees Skip again because Skip tried to touch him and tried to kiss him. They were two horny teenage boys in their first exclusive relationship, why wouldn't Skip think he had the right to touch him!

What really gets me is how no one in Skip's life had any sense of loyalty at all. They just turned their backs on him and didn't really try to get his side of the story. Everyone in school is scared of/disgusted by him, his best friend refuses to talk to him at all, his parents are afraid of him molesting his little brother so they force him to move out of the house. After getting everything he wanted in the first place, Gabe's love and devotion, Skip out of the way so he wouldn't have to share Gabe's attention, Dwayne still acts like he was the one who wronged. He needs to die, seriously.

I know he won't, though. At most, he'll have a moment of epiphany and "apologize" to Skip who will forgive him immediately, of course, because he's just that type of person. He won't suffer at all, because I have a feeling that no one else shares my intense hatred of Dwayne. Gabe's a bit of a dick, as well, though it's easier to see where he's coming from.
Alex Whitehall chapter 21 . 10/22/2009
Overall I really enjoyed this piece. It played with heart-wrenching emotions and kept a good pace of near misses and things constantly happening.

It was kind of confusing having no breaks between changes of perspective. Sometimes it worked (like when they happened quickly because they were all happening at once) sometimes they didn't. Also, sometimes the wrong name was used, which may be due to your jumping perspectives or due to similar starting letters (Simon and Skip got switched at least once, and Parris and Patrick did too).

I felt like the story ended when Marcus and Skip finally got together for good. The things after that, while nice, didn't really seem necessary to me, but I suppose were pleasant. It could be a preference though.

While reading the story I was wincing the entire time (in the good way), and Skip really pulled at my heart. I'm so happy that there was a happy ending, because Skip really deserved it.

I really only have one question, which I don't think was answered and that Isaac brought up: Why did Skip start going by Skip instead of Christopher?
bookworm0706 chapter 21 . 10/18/2009
Hey!

I'd just like to let you know how much I enjoyed this story. It kept me up 'till 5 a.m., but I finished it! And man was it worth the lost sleep.

Your portrayal of Skip was the most deeply moving, nuanced, accurate, and above all consistent picture of insecurity I've ever read. The characterization here is fantastic!

I also appreciated how all the different story threads wove together through sheer chance, as tough as it sometimes was to remember them all ;)

Amazing work!

x

Eva
Ferocious Marshmallow chapter 11 . 9/23/2009
I'm only halfway through this story and I'm already in love with Skip (in a purely platonic sense). I just want to curl up in bed with him and stroke his hair. Whenever someone's an ass to him I just want to defend him. I really dislike Gabe and Dwayne at this point, but that's a good think. Your characters are very real and complex.

Anyway...I must read on...

-Shirl
Gwengwel chapter 9 . 9/6/2009
I'm in the middle of reading the story, so I'm going to write a bigger comment at the end. It's just that I have an idea about the plot and I want to write my idea as it later when I say : I knew it...well I had proof (if it true of course loll).

The idea...: I think Joann's Mario wife.

yep, that it's.
i-wish-i-had-wings chapter 1 . 9/3/2009
first of all i got to say i loved this story, and i absolutely adored skip

usually i never EXPECT an answer (this is the first time actually) but please answer this question, it would really give me peace in mind:

Is skip really a sociopath? or is his family just..totally bombed in the head?
Language Lover chapter 21 . 8/1/2009
I don't think I like Skip's parents. I would have liked to hear more about them.
174 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 5 6 7 .. Last Next »