Reviews for The Family Tree
Kiwi-kiwi6 chapter 1 . 1/11/2009
Wow. This poem is powerful. I love how you apply the concept of 'family tree' in a literal way in the last two lines. Well written.
I be a poet lost in morbidity chapter 1 . 1/6/2009
wow i love it you may have been twelve but you sure knew how to use imagery, and use it well.
ghghg chapter 1 . 12/27/2008
even though you say its a couple years old, this is one of my favorite poems ive found on here. It makes alot of sense. I really like it. Excellent job.
Pheonixflower-the-Immortal chapter 1 . 10/14/2008
I was reading this pretty passively until I got to those last lines- "A tall oak tree/Or maybe a weeping willow." Then I just couldn't stop thinking about all the different ways families connect. It actually reminded me of my own family, in a way. My father comes from a strictly Christian and Conservative Republican family, while my mother comes from an atheist family of liberal Democrats. Luckily my father shares my mother's views on religion and politics, so there's no discord within my immediate family, but it gets stressful on vacations, having to constantly switch between points of view.

Excellent poem, keep up the good work.
GregoryHoare chapter 1 . 10/12/2008
If this was written when you were twelve it really is a brilliant effort! Taking on the big themes like family and destiny is always tough but breaking it down to a simpler level, like linking it to the tree is the best way to go about it without falling into cliche. Having said that I think that a couple of lines, in particluar the fourth don't fully fit in, and the rhyme 'ties' and 'lies' is a bit too blatant a rhyme to really work, the best rhymes are the ones you don't really notice ;) Overall I think the first line is a brilliant opener, and the last two lines work very nicely too, and your voice is distinctly prominant throughout the poem which is always good.. but there are a couple of weaker lines that fall into cliche. x
Elim chapter 1 . 10/9/2008
You wrote this when you were twelve? I'm impressed. There are so many deep ideas here. The idea that we're bound together not only by the truth, but also by the lies, not only by what we have in common, but also by our differences.

A tree is such a common analogy for a family, but I never really stopped to think what *kind* of tree my family is. An oak? A willow? It's an interesting question.

It's interesting how things we wrote a while ago can still be relevant. I look back on some of my stuff and wonder what I was possibly thinking, but then I look at other pieces and think maybe I was on to something. Some of it's just plain ridiculous, but some of it has depth.

You've got something with depth here, a depth I wouldn't have expected in a poem written by a 12-year-old. Nice job.

-Elim
roguedemonhunter chapter 1 . 10/9/2008
I like this one too; it's pretty impressive considering you wrote it when you were twelve. There's some really nice imagery in here.