Reviews for The Stage
Belladonna Snow chapter 1 . 6/22/2010
Nicely done, an excellent potrayle of how life is. All the world is a stage, and from childhood we are understudies waiting and watching for our time to take the center stage. Brilliant.
Guest chapter 1 . 2/7/2010
Love this interpretation of "all the world is a stage"

We learn the moves, the lying, the cheating, the large fake smiles come naturally - this is so true, I see it in kids every day, they start out so truthful just by nature but then they learn how easy it can be to lie and be fake.

Another excellent poem
Vernelley chapter 1 . 2/7/2010
Very thought-provoking.

It's true that we all hide behind masks to some extent.

This is great, I like what you've done here.
Palantean Writer chapter 1 . 2/4/2010
Okay, I couldn't find a particularly long piece of work of yours and I'm no good at reviewing poetry, but I'll try reviewing this one. If you want a couple more reviews in return for the below just say, okay?

I suppose I've long been unsure of the concept of people as puppets, but then I've long been disdainful of the idea of individual helplessness. Life is a stage, certainly, and there is something puppetlike in our interdependence on others, but that interdependence is not entire, it is only half the story. I wonder, therefore, if your second sentence needs another final word. Puppeteers?

Hah, you're not kidding that we're always preparing and wearing masks. Most certainly. And the trick is knowing when to remove that mask... and when not to. There's quite some art in that so as not to look either distant or over-dependant.

Do we all want the main part for ourselves, do you think that? Perhaps so, but personally I feel in many instances that being the understudy is pretty comforting. You get to do your little bit and then get offstage before you have to worry too much that your contribution flopped. But I'll agree that a little bit of spotlight can be great!

Absolutely on the bowing alongside our enemy. Ab-so-lutely...

I wonder if this could continue a little by exploring the idea that our audience may be the whole world, but many of them are so obsessed with themselves, worrying about how they look and act, that they don't always see us. This seems especially true when we're trying to be noticed :P

All in all this is short, sweet and prettily-stylized. Good work!

- Please pay back via Academy, failing that Shamanics. Shamanics is a bit shorter so may be more suitable considering that your works are quite short, and I don't want to put you out too much!

- From the Roadhouse.
Lee Daniel chapter 1 . 1/26/2010
Brilliant. Life captured perfectly. When I was in high school and took drama classes, I always used to say that life was the biggest stage, and it was the one on which I preferred to perform. You are absolutely right. We do wear masks. Our masks protect us from harm and allow us to display ourselves as we want to be seen rather than as we truly are. Even our pen names are masks that we hide behind. Well done.
Karyn13 chapter 1 . 1/22/2010
very powerful. I like the concept of it. It's really accurate of how a lot of people act. How do you come up with these ideas?
Broken-Catastrophe chapter 1 . 1/22/2010
The word choice was amazing, and I loved the cynicism. The way you see things is unique, as is your writing ] I really enjoyed this, it's what I think all of us believe to some extent but never really think about. Good job ]
Spike05 chapter 1 . 10/29/2008
Very nice. makes you think about what you're on this earth for. love your work. keep writing!

BTW: the last line is what the whole poem is building up to, it needs to be there. it ties ties the whole poem together and bring the beginning to the end (if that makes sense).
SEMMU chapter 1 . 10/27/2008
Cool idea that I've seen a few times. With a little originality you could make this a keeper. If I may? I'd suggest omiting the last line. It's seems to me that the last line merely states the obvious and it attempts, so desperately, to state something profound; however, nothing profoud is present. Maybe subtleness would better serve your purpose.

Anyways, Write on!