Reviews for Dressed in Black
readlife chapter 24 . 12/13/2010
This was a sweet story that I really enjoyed. The word choice was great and the characters remained consistent (not always the case!). I adore the ending, even though it ended quickly; I think it worked much better than it would have if you had drawn it out. One thing that seemed to me was that the writing style and point of view seemed to change once and a while for the first half, but the second halve stayed loyal to the third person ominous view.
XxSiennaxX chapter 24 . 9/8/2009
I absolutely loved your story and I loved the happy ending. I'm not normally one for double weddings but this time I'd have to agree that it was perfect.
Menginpeh chapter 23 . 4/24/2009
Good job. :) Albert and Catherine and Philip together at last. :) Bits reminded my of Jane Austen's Emma which I love :) Was that the end or is there more?
GeorgianaBlakeney chapter 2 . 3/26/2009
Sorry! I really hadn't meant to sound annoyed/annoying. I'm just a big Jane Austen fan :)

Oh! Just an idea; the name "Crane" sounds rather crabby and old ... what if you switched Mrs. Dixon to being Mrs. Crane, and Catherine to Catherine Dixon? Random thought, if you like it!
GeorgianaBlakeney chapter 1 . 3/26/2009
Um, this wouldn't have anything to do with Catherine Morland or Northanger Abbey, would it?

And "distractedly abstracted ..." is that supposed to be distracted? What is abstracted?
Menginpeh chapter 16 . 3/22/2009
Enjoyed it.

Harry the Horrible! You did a good job of making us not like him.

Albert is nice, though I hope the warmth he feels will eventually thaw his properness just a tiny bit more in time.

Thanks. :)
zagato chapter 15 . 3/17/2009
Thanks for the update. That was a great twist. How can she get out of this problem? I'm sure you know the way. Thank you again and please write more.
beccabrighteyes chapter 12 . 3/9/2009
Very Jane Austin-ish. Adorable.
Frayling0 chapter 1 . 3/4/2009
This is brilliant! Found it by chance - actually clicked on historical by mistake (it's not usually my cup of tea) but this story just drew me in. This could be a novel of 'that' era, your writing style is so fluid and nostalgic. Great work! - Luke
PishPoshPattyCakes chapter 10 . 3/2/2009
I adore your story and judging for the number of reviews, I am rather surprised at the lack of interest in it.

I have read attempts of this style and time line but, they were always lacking something, littered with conversation mistakes or just plain out right littered with mistakes.

This story is beyond extraordinary is in a category of its own.
Poppy chapter 2 . 2/13/2009
I must say - your style of authoring reminds me very much of Louisa May Alcott's. An airiness to it; there is flow, and ease in the words.

Bravo. It's a rare find, this story.
A G Moore chapter 3 . 11/10/2008
Brilliant chapter, surely! I find myself growing more and more fond of Albert. The part when Philip tells Catherine that his papa said she did not love them, and Albert blushes - my heart! Hehe.

I daresay that this is quickly becoming a favorite story of mine. I'm curious as to whether we will meet Henry, for I have a weakness for clergymen! At least... in these such stories. :)
A G Moore chapter 2 . 11/10/2008
Another wonderful chapter! I must admit, though, that I am quite fond of Albert. I'm not sure if that was intentional or not, but I am quite taken with him. There is something about such a man, a widower, with a young child.. I am always infinitely sympathetic with them!

Also, I like General Slater immensely already! Oh, your characters are so delightfully original, especially the menfolk.
A G Moore chapter 1 . 11/10/2008
I absolutely love this! I haven't visited this corner of the Internet in far too long, so this was a delightful thing to see upon my return.

Your writing is so elegant, restrained at times, but done so extremely well. It is subtle, but it rings with honesty and poignancy. It is much like your Catherine in that way exactly. On to read the next chapter!