Reviews for The Runner
chocolateandbananas chapter 1 . 5/21/2009
I think it's beautiful.

I loved the realistic sense put into it. That he never got to tell Sam his feelings, and Justin was the one there in the end.

I really liked it. Keep up the good work :)
Menshi chapter 1 . 4/13/2009
meh~ forgot to add it on my fave lilst~

did i mention that it's really beautiful?
essie chapter 1 . 3/5/2009
glimpsing back to see a sobbing Sam in Justin’s arms.

so she miraculously came back to life?
MissMarie9 chapter 1 . 3/2/2009
Oh, that's horribly sad. But so good. Really. Fantastic.
Mithee chapter 1 . 2/12/2009
~she didn't know it but he got enough benefit from seeing her happiness.

gawd. that was so sweet!

my heart was like pounding when abby called him. i kept repeating the words, 'please don't let her die'

*sobs* i feel so very sorry for matt. really, i'm crying right now *sobs again*

and i told myself i will never ever read sad stories again. god knows i cry so easily. if i knew that this were a tragic story i wouldn't have read it. and you didn't even put tragedy as the genre. gawd! i hate you, you so made me cry T_T

this is just so depressing.

this is one shot is beautiful, by the way.
milenaa chapter 1 . 2/1/2009
hey there! i found this through the com "for the love of one shots". as sad as the story was it was also an enjoyable read because the story has a good flow and the writing is well done. i like the characters and thought that the decision not to reveal his feelings to her was a bit of a surprise and very noble.
sparky chapter 1 . 1/27/2009
This is one of the best oneshots that I've read in a long time. Your sentences flowed so beautifully, your grammar was perfect, and your story was told flawlessly.

I think that the emotion was captured perfectly. I felt the love that Matt had for Sam, and I felt hers for Justin. Of course, at the end, Justin's love for Sam was blatant-as was Matt's when he stepped away. The ending was jarring, but it was perfectly executed. I felt horrible that Sam was dying, but it made the whole story so much better. (I've never understood how so many oneshots have happy endings, when life is not full of happy endings).

The characters played their roles excellently. Matt, being shy and observent but not very talkative...Sam, being full of life until her life was taken away...Justin, being supportive of Sam.

I loved this oneshot. Absolutely stunning. I can't wait to read more by you.
effervescent-sentiments chapter 1 . 1/27/2009
Well. It was cute, the ending was sad. That much I can say.

But I found I didn't really like it. It didn't really impress me; nothing about your story stood out. I know that's not what you want to hear, so I'm going to give you some tips to fix it. :)

First, we never really got to know your characters. I felt nothing but apathy when Samantha died because I didn't know who she was; I didn't identify with Matt's feelings for her. I'd suggest making this into first person instead of third omniscient.

The romance between Justin and Samantha was pretty true-to-life. I think that was my favorite part of the entire story, was the realism that, of course, best friends aren't always lovers, and there IS such a thing as unrequited love.

So I think this story is salvagable, even if you didn't quite pull it off this time around. Work on character development. Intensify the emotions. Make us care. Add a narrator to make the bland prose interesting.

Good luck!

~Effervescent-Sentiments
Perpetual Romantic chapter 1 . 1/25/2009
At first, I was so mad. I guess I'm one for happy endings.

But, then I realized that Matt was trying to make Sam happy, to keep her happy, because he loves her and loves seeing her happy and wants her to be happy.

Meh.

I'm still kind of peeved he didn't get the girl... ;)
Brielle Gemson chapter 1 . 1/24/2009
This is good! A bit of a depressing ending, but truthful. Love it!
White Rose Blossom chapter 1 . 1/24/2009
Aw, this was so sad, but also very cute.

Loved it!

-Aria
toffeecakesxox chapter 1 . 1/24/2009
very sad ending, but oh-so-meaningful. I love this, really I do. That was terribly sad. OH GOODNESS.. you wrote this soopah well. :)

-toffeecakesxox.
Lily Llynn chapter 1 . 1/23/2009
This was beautifully written; unrequited love is quite a pain, isn't it? I like how it's ambiguous to the end (no names of the main characters), and I just don't know how to describe how awesome this is (it is that awesome). I'm totally adding this to my c2. (:
squiggle-line chapter 1 . 1/19/2009
I liked this. I liked the narration style, the mixture of long and short sentences, the way it flips between the present and the past. The ending was unexpected. I felt bad for Matt but I felt worse for Justin. When Matt steps aside in the end, he makes his choice and it's the right one, I think. It would be selfish of him to confess his feelings. Loving Sam, wanting what's best for her, does not include last minute confusion when she's desperately searching for peace. Matt's situation is tragic, but he acts admirably and it makes his earlier reminiscing all the more sweet.

The switch from pronouns to names near the end was jarring. I liked the pronouns. I kind of wished you had continued with them.

I also had a difficult time reconciling the fact that Sam was a runner but horribly klutzy. I know someone like that in real life (except she's a dancer) but in the story, I couldn't wrap my mind around it. Maybe if Sam made a joke about it, about how it was funny that she was coordinated enough to run eight plus miles, but that she tripped over her own feet all the time, it would bring the two sides of her character closer together. If her clumsiness is a way to make sense of her accident in the end, I think it would be plausible if she got hit by a car just because she was running, and not because she was clumsy and running.

One of the earlier reviewers commented that Matt seemed to lack personality. This piece is very focused on Sam and we see very little of Matt, even though it's from his point of view, but I think that makes sense. In some ways, he's telling a story about Sam, and not about himself. There are some places where the story shifts back to Matt (ex. the last two lines at the end) and that's a little jarring too since I'm still so focused on Sam. It's believable that he would be attracted to someone like Sam though. Matt seems quieter, more cautious, and I think in some ways, he admires Sam for being able to say exactly what she is thinking at any given moment.

I wanted to see more of Justin. It's understandable that Matt wouldn't want to talk about him but since Justin is such a big part of Sam's life, and Sam is such a big part of Matt's, isn't the topic inescapable? Plus, wouldn't Matt subconsciously compare himself to Matt? Why does Sam like him in the first place?

Thanks for sharing. This was a nice piece.
JamieBell chapter 1 . 12/31/2008
Oh, that's so sad. But beautifully written. I could feel every emotion. I might cry. Wonderful!
39 | « Prev Page 1 2 3 Next »