Reviews for appropriation
Durandel chapter 1 . 4/15/2009
I gotta say, that was a pretty fun yet deep poem. The idea of being independent really stood out to me in this work, and it gave a pretty good ryhme scheme to draw me deeper into it. A really great work.

I'm can't really judge poetry, everyone has their own unique style on that point, but this really did sound good. The sentences being uncapitalized drew me out of focus for a bit, but that because I'm a perfectionist.

Overall, grade A work.

Durandel

P.S. I don't wanna talk about my story that much on review, but I'll drop you a PM later explaining some points, it really is complicated stuff though, so it may take a while to get it organized.
Nicki BluIs chapter 1 . 4/11/2009
This was an interesting piece and i'm still trying to figure it out. At first I thought it was more than one girl, but after a second reading I saw that it could easily be many facets of the same whole.

The title and categorization are still throwing me for a loop. Appropriation of attributes maybe? Character traits? The politics of a subculture? A deviation from the norm?

I suppose I understand the poem less than I originally thought I did lol. But i do like the structure and the rhythm.

Nicki :P
t-t-t-ouch chapter 1 . 3/4/2009
Wow. I really like how you managed to make all this not only fit together, but flow and paint the picture of the kind of person you're talking about all at once. Great job.
all you need is oxygen chapter 1 . 3/1/2009
this paints a perfect picture of a girl.

it's beautiful.
Doxology chapter 1 . 2/10/2009
This piece made me sigh. I wish I had that "mindset", too - have wished, I guess. It was breatktaking, to say the least.

Cheers,

Mutant King
Narq chapter 1 . 1/22/2009
nice poem again, and there's a lot of description in it too!
DiamondKing chapter 1 . 12/20/2008
The simultaneously representation of innocence and naivety is simply inspired in this poem. I really do like your style; the rhythm flows rather well, especially with the enjambment in the fifth stanza (antennae intercepting radio/waves at the crowd and she) and then the following enjambment connecting the fifth and sixth stanzas. The second enjambment creates a shift in the voice that I do like. I think that it communicates very well the intertwined envy and dislike that the voice feels for this girl.

In other words: you rock my socks with your poetry.
Duuude chapter 1 . 11/25/2008
Lovely. Is there anything else I can say?

This could be a song. I can see myself singing along and bobbing my head actually.

Amazing. I like this person already. I love the "yells at her parents and sings about love" and the "she's sixteen and no one can tell her what she can and can't do".

I'm going through that stage actually. I have this mentality that I can do what I please. My parents don't seem to agree though. I guess that's their job though.

But I digress. I really loved this. Poetry and me are like fire and ice lately so this was great for pulling me back in.
Lightswitch chapter 1 . 11/24/2008
I really liked this poem it really captures the truth of most teenagers mind sets today. They don't care what goes on in politics or anything that truly matters. The girl in the poem is blissfully ignorant and wants to remain that way.
Carus chapter 1 . 11/23/2008
Well, the first thing I get from this is a description of a teen girl who's trying to break out and find her place in the world. I like this 'cause the girl seems to be happy with who she is even if no one else is. She also seems to be in control, which is good ]

Yet there also seems to be something fake about her, or a sense that she's hiding her true self - with the 'room full of wigs' and 'coloured contacts'...but then that could just be her expressing her individuality.

I love the last three lines.

Great poem ]

-Amy
kelsi bones chapter 1 . 11/23/2008
this is so simple, but so pretty. the last stanza is particularly amazing ] "she/flips her hair and she/blinks her blues" is great imagery!

k.X
Isca chapter 1 . 11/23/2008
"Sketches of aliens." Great imagery! I liked how that line connected with the fifth stanza :).