Reviews for Ruothilde and the Tower
loudkiwa chapter 11 . 6/14/2009
Honestly, this retelling is lovely. There was great imagery, and I had feelings of "not fear," if you know what I mean...

Very nice piece, and deserves plenty of favorites (:
Wind's Whisper chapter 12 . 6/14/2009
I just wanted to drop a quick note and say that I thoroughly enjoyed this story! I am a medieval historian, and it's not often I come across a story like this that doesn't make me want to rip my eyes out and flame broil the author.

Anyway, I am impressed especially with the opening of the story, as I find the language and style of the monk's writing spot on. Well done, you! The tone was perfect.

Keep writing and take care!
Kiya14 chapter 12 . 4/6/2009
I've really enjoyed this re-telling of Rapunzel. It's far darker that the one that we're all used to but I suspect that this would be much closer to the stories that were told centuries ago.

The language was wonderful and it was a sort of bitter-sweet ending.

Such a sacrifice but you have to be impressed that she was willing to do it in order to save the man that had saved her.

Thank you for a great story!
SingingBird812 chapter 12 . 4/5/2009
This was a really interesting story; thanks for writing and sharing it. :)
wolfprint chapter 12 . 4/5/2009
i love this story! it was the most different Rapunzel i've ever read, and i enjoyed how you made her independent. you did a really good job!
Michael Howard chapter 12 . 4/5/2009
No happy ending here - or was there? Perhaps given the mores and expectations of 9th Century Christendom Rapunzel ending up living the best life possible for a female not of royal birth. What I am more certain of is that this was a very entertaining story, told in a truly unique narrative style. Good work, FT!
Kiya14 chapter 8 . 3/27/2009
What a dreadful decision for her to make in order to save the one who saved her, especially as she seems to settled with the idea of having the child. Very sad.

I really look forward to your next chapter.
Michael Howard chapter 8 . 3/23/2009
Your narrative style really sells this story. Good job. Perhaps before it's over, you could provide some information about the historical source material.
Michael Howard chapter 7 . 3/22/2009
This one has a truly unique tone to it that makes for compelling reading.
Kiya14 chapter 7 . 3/10/2009
Gosh! So she has finally left the tower. I shouldn't imagine that the witch is going to be too thrilled. I thought it a nice touch that Ruothilde wants to protect the Raven and sends him away.

I don't think that I've read through a chapter so quickly before, desperate to see what happens. I really look forward to your update.

Kiya
Ivi chapter 7 . 3/9/2009
Well writen, and I like the twist you put on the classic tale. The problems I have, first, when was the last time you read a historical fiction that took it this far using an archaic style? I found it annoying after the second chapter. Your missing bits of description. In text written around the time you are aiming for monks would write pages on the color of the grass then mention an important event in a sentance, dont do that, but add some description. Next, one thing that really poped out to me. In Chapter 2 or 3 you say Ruothidilde cannot see her reflection, or at least the bird does. then in chapter 6 or 7 you have her see the blood on her face in her reflection in the mirror. Maybe I read that wrong, but it felt off.

Hope this Helps

Oh also, you should check out Pillars of the Earth and World Without End by Ken Follett. Mistress of the Art of Death by Ariana Franklin. All three are amazing historical fictions the ffirst is early middle ages the second is late middle ages, adn the third is early rennisance, wll its set in England so its techincally rennisance, just prior to the rennisance reaching england
Kiya14 chapter 6 . 3/9/2009
That Raven is very cruel to her when she is clearly in so much distress.

Again a beautifully written chapter. I really feel for Ruothilde and deperately want her to defeat the witch.

I look forward to more.
waterfall of words chapter 6 . 2/19/2009
Hmm...pretty good.
waterfall of words chapter 1 . 2/19/2009
I'm interested in reading this story. But if it continues to slam on paganism, I'm done with it.
zagato chapter 6 . 2/17/2009
Thanks for updating! But she's not pregnant yet, is she? She sleeps a lot though. Please continue.